Search

drivers stand etiquette - pt. 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 04:15 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by See
Also antennas are not swords and you are not zoro so do not swing your radio from side to side it doesnt make your car turn any better.

In 2002,I was running my second HPI challenge in NY..In super nitro...this was my second HPI Challenge,there were 200 people entered,60 in super alone....the year before,I had made into the B main,and won it.....So this year I was REALLY excited by qualifying into the A....Anyway,On the drivers stand,I was standing next to the eventual winner Todd Marshall(alot of people know Todd, a great guy,but he had always intimidated me to that point,we never even spoke much)...I drove a clean race,getting yelled at by my Pit Man the whole time.I was in my own little world,he was SCREAMING at me to pit for fuel(15 min mains),I never even heard him,so he ended up pulling on my pants leg to get my attention...

Anyway, Todd won the race,and I finished 4th......After we get off the drivers stand,he's laughing at me...So of course,I looked at him with my most ferocious scowl,(which as a skinny 5 foot 6 white guy really wasn't bothering him as he stands 6 foot 2,and is a brother in every sense of the word).....and he explains to me that the whole time I was up there,I ws poking him in the eye with my antennae........He was telling me the whole time to stop moving my transmitter,of course,I never heard a word.....We both had a good laugh,in fact,we are really good friends now....and talk weekly...

Oh yeah,I've beat him a few times since then,winning the HPI challenge in 2004,and the unofficial challenge in 2006 and a few other in class wins...

the moral of the story?....At the end of the day,racing is supposed to be fun,,,,,,and can be more rewarding if you let it....

Last edited by fastharry™; 02-24-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

This is a good thread! I was wondering; is there a required length for a drivers stand? There should be. (Max # of cars x 30 inches= total distance of track stand in inches) I've been to many tracks in the North East and South. Many were kinda tight for guys like me.
I raced the unoffical HPI challenge last year also (great race by the way!) and by accident bumped a driver. The guy who I bumped and I postured. It was tence, but that is racing. I apoligized because I didn't do it on purpose. I'm a big guy and so was he. There just simply not enough room on many stands.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GHETTOTEACHER
This is a good thread! I was wondering; is there a required length for a drivers stand? There should be. (Max # of cars x 30 inches= total distance of track stand in inches) I've been to many tracks in the North East and South. Many were kinda tight for guys like me.
I raced the unoffical HPI challenge last year also (great race by the way!) and by accident bumped a driver. The guy who I bumped and I postured. It was tence, but that is racing. I apoligized because I didn't do it on purpose. I'm a big guy and so was he. There just simply not enough room on many stands.
I raced too!..What class were you running?..
Old 02-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

You could alllllmost touch him in the group picture Harry. But your right Getto, that is a narrow stand.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

I was in nitro touring class. I was in B main.
I was in the other HPI Challenge at Blue Diamond in Delaware 05. I will never run a race that hot again!!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Hey Ed!!
Old 02-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

which guy?...

Old 02-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

LOL!!! You have the cut off picture! I would be on the back row on the right of the guy with the black shirt.
I'm the guy in the blue shirt looking away from the camera. I have a camera in my hand. My car is the black and yellow car in the back row.

Last edited by GHETTOTEACHER; 08-23-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yeah Ive had the same deal , sometimes there is no room. Ive gotten up on the stand with nothing but a bunch of skinny guys and had no room. I swear they should limit it correctly but oh well. Sometimes they add an extra guy with no thought because they dont want to make another set of races , split up those people and such.

I love it during qualifying though when everyone is flaming out and having trouble and theres like 3 guys up there with you and your all spread out nicely , standing nice and wide , leaning back and forth , cursing up a storm and farting away....lol!
Old 02-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GHETTOTEACHER
LOL!!! You have the cut off picture! I would be on the back row on the right of the guy with the black shirt.
I'm the guy in the blue shirt looking away from the camera. I have a camera in my hand. My car is the black and yellow car in the back row.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Do you see me yet Harry? I have the sunglasses and blue shirt with the camera in my hands. I'm to the extreme left of you!
Old 02-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

yep.....I just wanted to let everyone else see you also!!!...
Old 02-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Tech Adept

I've been racing for 3 years, and have never seen a track from the drivers stand, thanks to a spinal cord injury. I have to sit under the drivers stand in my chair. No one said breaking your back is easy though.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spook
I've been racing for 3 years, and have never seen a track from the drivers stand, thanks to a spinal cord injury. I have to sit under the drivers stand in my chair. No one said breaking your back is easy though.
Well that settles it. If I build a track , which possibly could happen. I will be sure to have wheelchair access to the stands. Or will set it up so people can just simply pick up the wheelchair and carry you up there.

Its very hard to race on the ground thats for sure. I know a few times Ive sat on the stairs or on the ground to get in some practice time as sometimes our stands is completely packed. More power to you for getting out there and putting up the efforts! A true racer!

We get around 80-120 racers per race so it can get a little crowded at times.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Tech Adept

Yep, it get's annoying. It's hard looking at the apex of a corner through a marshal's legs.
Winning from where I sit is a great feeling!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.