R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   newbie car (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/139359-newbie-car.html)

tuner_taz 12-05-2006 06:19 PM

newbie car

i have a rs4 2 but the engine whent to hell since it was left to sit for a year with gas in it (trown away) to get that one up and running it would cost around the same as buying a new kit (dont like rtr) umm any recomendations(spelling?) umm my budget at the end of the month would be around 300 - 350 but i could w8t till mid-jan. where my budjet would be around a grand more or less

Teehomo 12-05-2006 08:34 PM

Tuner_taz

If it was me, I would wait until January and spend the extra dollars however, it all depends on want you want to do with the car. If you are looking to race, then spend the extra money on a kit such as the Mugen MTX-4, Serpent 720, Kyosho VoneRRR or Team Magic G4S - these are all fairly new chassis' and have proven results in competition. Check for spares availability in your location as you will always break something. :nod: You would need to match that up with an engine and pipe - Novarossi are hard to go past, and the OS TZ engine also offers good perfromance at a lower price.

If you are running in parking lots, you may want to buy something a bit cheaper as the above cars are best left for prepared surfaces. You could try something like the GS Vision, AE NTC3, Ofna LD3 or HPI R40. These often come in RTR format as well which will still give you a good performing car with a bit if cash left over. I'm not saying that these cars are not up to racing, but they are a bit cheaper and generally a bit more forgiving. You could probably pick up something in this price range for the money you have now.

Don't forget about buying second hand either - this is a good way to get a decent chassis and engine combo at a price which will usually get you a range of spares and sometimes extras like the starter box, radios, servos etc. Check out the for sale threads on this website or visit your local track.

schufflerbot 12-06-2006 07:01 AM

I know you said that you're not a fan of the RTR's, but I have to tell you... I started with the team magic G4 Le Mans RTR kit and it is amazing... the .15 engine and kick ass gearing make this car unbelievably fast. seriously... it's almost too fast.

The only complaint that I have about it is the radio/receiver combo, which operates on AM frequency and tends to get a little interference, so you have to be careful. I fixed mine by purchasing a Spektrum DX2.0 / SR3000 and no longer have any problems.

Beyond that, it is by far the most 'race ready' of the RTR kits out there and at $379 it fits right in your budget range.

I cannot count the number of times someone at the track came up to my car and expressed how revolutionary the design was and their disbelief at the fact that it's an RTR.

check them out, if you want, in my opinion its the best RTR you can buy.

http://www.racedayhobbies.com/team_magic_lemans.html

tuner_taz 12-06-2006 04:28 PM

the only reson why i dont like rtr is becuse they charge u extra for what i think is 1/2 the fun :lol: umm im in no hurry to get one as i can w8t umm right now i run in parking lots and streets (around my naboor hood) i want a car that i can buy load of hop ups and isint that bad stock eaither

oh btw i alrady have a remote and servos brand new

schufflerbot 12-07-2006 08:33 AM

I totally feel you on the RTR topic and agree that you do pay for some things that you dont need.

However, when you look at money saved in the long run, the G4 RTR is the way to go for several reasons:

the engine it comes with is far beyond adequate and keeps up with all but 2 Novarossi engines at my local track (driving skill permitting) the car is sturdy enough to withstand some pretty serious impacts, which makes it perfect for parking lot/neighborhood runs and if you already have a good radio and receiver, then you've proactively solved the only problem that plagues these cars!

If you want to wait and get a more expensive kit, then match an engine to it and add hop up parts galore, more power to you.

but, you should be careful spending $1000+ for a car you'll be running outside of conditioned surfaces, as things can and will happen:ouch

If you're going to spend that kind of money, you should consider getting involved with your local track (assuming you havent yet) and find out what people are using there, so that you can have some people to bounce ideas off of, borrow parts from, compete with, etc.

Sorry for pushing the G4 RTR so much, but the post title was 'newbie car' and i'm not the only person who agrees that the G4 RTR is ready to run, appealing to the 'newbie' side - yet can be completely upgraded to the G4S for $189, making it ideal for the graduating newbie to slide into competitive racer...

all for less than $600.

BIGTACO 12-07-2006 10:21 AM

If you do decide to go with a RTR I would have to agree with schufflerbot on this one. As he stated, the G4 is the BEST RTR out there for competition purposes. It is the ONLY RTR that comes with a chassis designed for a rear exhaust engine. And as you may or may not know, side exhaust engines like the ones found on every other RTR kit out there are slooooooow in comparison. Now if you decide to wait and drop a grand on your addiction, then Teehomo is right on the money. The Mugen MTX-4, TM G4s, Kyosho RRR, and Serpent are all on the same level of competitivness for track racing. Keep in mind these cars are not made for non-prepared parking lots. They are tiny racing machines designed for 4-5 mm of space between them and the road...

:tire: :tire: :tire: :tire: :tire: :tire: :tire: :tire: :tire: :tire:

tuner_taz 12-07-2006 03:47 PM

a question u may or may not get alot umm can i put regular car bodies on it or dose it have to be like the car shown?

i happen to come acroos this
car on ebay

tuner_taz 12-07-2006 03:55 PM

oh and whats the max mph on that car?

tuner_taz 12-13-2006 11:52 AM

any one

bump

schufflerbot 12-13-2006 12:14 PM

ok, you dont have to use the Lola VDS body it comes with, you can put a sedan body on it if you want, but you will want the sedan conversion kit and a front bumper (less than $20)

i would have to say that the max MPH on the G4 LeMans RTR is around 60+ mph, but thats just a guess.

its pretty damn fast, though.

another alternative is the G4S RTR kit.

It will come with a sedan body and all the components are race legal.

http://www.racedayhobbies.com/G4SRTR.html

now, as far as your previous post, regarding the car for sale on ebay

i'll say this; you get what you pay for.

a car that costs $149 shipped, is going to perform like car that costs $149 shipped.

there are no upgradeable parts on that thing, save custom fabricated and as far as support after you buy it...

good luck.

stick with something that will last you a long time, is designed to be upgraded and has proven itself on the racetrack as a performer.

my suggestion is to go with the G4S RTR, for $425 shipped, its an outstanding deal, I can personally vouch for Sam, who will treat you right and take care of any questions or problems you might have and he will be there after you buy it to offer advice and hop up parts.

happy RC'ing!

hope this helps.

check that out, its actually an amazing deal. :nod:

tuner_taz 12-13-2006 02:19 PM

i got a buddy of mine who wants to sell me his hpi rs4 3 .12ss for 150