Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
new ofna DM1 pics and thoughts :):) >

new ofna DM1 pics and thoughts :):)

Like Tree1Likes

new ofna DM1 pics and thoughts :):)

Old 08-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I've gone from 2k to 300k with silicone. Also tried Exceed cleaning putty.

I've gone to lighter fluid, but the chassis set up works with the setting. I would watch gear wear, as they are aluminum and with the power and grip from the tires and engines, puts a real load on them. However, when I had thick fluid or putty, you point it where you want it to go hit the throttle. I do not like a spool in electric touring, so have never tried. Normal rules don't allow one ways or, Thorsten or electric gear boxes. Locked up gears done with the stock stuff should be allowed.

With the heavy fluid or putty, you need to watch the gear case, as you can pull the screws out. I have two fixes, but the best is build with a new case.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Well, a good weekend for the DM-1, I qualified 2nd and manged to take the win at the Heart of America series race in Lincoln, NE this weekend.

Got to find out how durable the car is, as I had a freak run away on the main straight. Still not sure what caused it, but throttle/Brake servo was locked up. Hit was hard enough to sheer the bottom screew from the rear diff brace to the chassis. Glad I was running the King Headz chassis, as I'm sure I would have folded up the stock 6061 one. Also glad I decided to stay up and re-build the car, as the back up is good, but it does not have all the light weight stuff in, some but not all.

It is time to do some rebuilds on the diff, 2 speed and clutch so as I do, I'll post pictures and a narrative to go with them. FYI this is the 4th race weekend on the diffs and 2 speed. Clutch has been in and out as I have tried different shoes/springs.

Any questions or help you guys need while I'm doing the complete re-build?
Old 08-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Mark,
Your car looked great on Saturday and then, all of a sudden, it was in pieces on your bench!! And then more pieces after dinner!!!

King Headz chassis definitely saved your car and your weekend!!
The amount of wrenching you did just to be running the next day deserves some kind of an award in itself. Only 100 points for the effort seems you were slighted in some way. I'll give you a bonus point. Yep, all better now!

Nice run buddy, you deserve the win!

I really was waiting for that engine to let loose on Sunday in the main. Hoping to see in person how your nickname was born. The runaway, full wood down the back stretch, nose first into the barrier, double somersault half twist carnage just wasn't enough..... Maybe next time.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by burgboyz
Mark,
Your car looked great on Saturday and then, all of a sudden, it was in pieces on your bench!! And then more pieces after dinner!!!

The runaway, full wood down the back stretch, nose first into the barrier, double somersault half twist carnage just wasn't enough..... Maybe next time.
I may have to take the picture of the broken CDV from the 2 speed to the front gear box, the bent CVD in the front was to be expected along with the broken upper arm. Am still amazed the hinge pin holder was good and still thinking how the chassis did not fold up.

It would have been a great video ...... but you really got it covered with your posting.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Grenade10
Well, a good weekend for the DM-1, I qualified 2nd and manged to take the win at the Heart of America series race in Lincoln, NE this weekend.
Wow Marky --- I didn't know you were into bragging much... And making Jon feel belittled....

Guess I shouldn't of sat this one out to let my kid drive my GT8 this past weekend and let you "boy's" have some fun

But you did destroy your car on Saturday beautifully....

Nothing but love.... Sept 14.....
Old 08-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Grenade10
Great job Mark!

Tim Ski
Old 08-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HobbyPLEX
Great job Mark!

Tim Ski
Nice pit work and wheeling the OFNA GT8e ........

I never noticed the change in strategy that got me on the same pit time as Jon.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

hey mark,congratulations on your win at Lincoln .one question did you get to run the new rear you spoke about a few weeks ago.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BSYDOR
Wow Marky --- I didn't know you were into bragging much... And making Jon feel belittled....

Guess I shouldn't of sat this one out to let my kid drive my GT8 this past weekend and let you "boy's" have some fun

But you did destroy your car on Saturday beautifully....

Nothing but love.... Sept 14.....
Bill, Jon and I had a great race, but both realize we are a lap down to you in 5min. Has not stopped us from working to get faster. And since I've talked with Jon several times, he did not feel belittled.

It was great to have Jay running and as we talked, you have taught him very well. And Jon and I both a first hand understanding how well you car drives after running it. Tough target, but we know our cars can get better.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by abi787
hey mark,congratulations on your win at Lincoln .one question did you get to run the new rear you spoke about a few weeks ago.
Not all the parts, but I should have it done by the next race in 3 weeks. Maybe even the servo mounts as well.

Mark
Old 08-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Z
Tech Master

Wow! I was there and somehow missed all of that.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (98%+)

What parts do I need to convert a nitro DM1 to and electric DM1?
I have one with a CF chassis that I want to convert to electric
Thanks
Old 08-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DRRC
What parts do I need to convert a nitro DM1 to and electric DM1?
I have one with a CF chassis that I want to convert to electric
Thanks
The electric version has a different chassis, battery tray, single speed and different motor mount.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Grenade PM replied to

After a few months I finally tried the rcshox arm stiffener and shock pistons and let me tell you, these options work
Makes the car easier to drive and more precise and reactive on the turns
This set up is on a stock dm 1 chassis with CF stand up shock towers
Will try it on the CF chassis and also on an electric conversion
I would recommend it and rcshox should have it available
Old 08-21-2013, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

I don't even remember anymore but I think the arm stiffener is made by LRP
Attached Thumbnails new ofna DM1 pics and thoughts :):)-image.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.