Like Tree1Likes

new ofna DM1 pics and thoughts :):)

Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

Ok thank.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BIGCAT TX
I run the CF chassis from Max Velocity and although I had my doubts initially, after one year of racing with many events it has more than proven itself to me.
I have a second car and was actually trying to find another one......the chassis has taken a beating and still performs very well.

yes it is legal.

some people say it isn't worth it? There is also the kingz head which is aluminum.

I would say either is better than stock.
Both chassis are much better than the stock one. I bought the Kingheadz one first and absolutly loved how it gave the car a much stronger base. The chassis is much stiffer and this lets the suspension do its work. Later I tried the Max Velocity Carbon chassis. This one is much better than the stock chassis as well but it allows more torsion from the chassis than the King headz. The main benefit from the Carbon chassis is weight savings thats it. You will like either of the chassis but I did prefer the KingHeadz one even though it weights more than the carbon one. Plus it is about $40 cheaper too. Another thing that is a bonus for the King Headz is that no modification is needed to the motor mounts. When I installed the Max Velocity chassis My starter Wheel didn't reach the flywheel so I had to lower the motor mount for the flywheel to catch on the starter.

As far as durability goes both are extremly strong and will take abuse but they are not indestructible. I was scared at first about the carbon chassis but I haven't broken anything and have had my share of racing crashes. But I have seen both the stock chassis break and the carbon break, I haven't seen the King Headz chassis break (I'm the only guy locally that has one).
Old 01-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Tech Adept

Ok thanks for the info...i was leaning more towards the kings head as well
Old 01-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (97%+)

I have also heard that the aluminum helps desapate heat better than CF
Old 01-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DK McGee
I have also heard that the aluminum helps desapate heat better than CF
Not true, being a previous DM1 owner and actually racing it head to head with CF chassis one. I will say CF is the way too go, the DMs main problem is weight, CF takes care of that and gives the car the advantage of a little flex to give it more traction. I could never find a CF chassis.

Btw, I thought this thread was about the new DM, anyone get one yet??
Old 01-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tonylunatic
Not true, being a previous DM1 owner and actually racing it head to head with CF chassis one. I will say CF is the way too go, the DMs main problem is weight, CF takes care of that and gives the car the advantage of a little flex to give it more traction. I could never find a CF chassis.

Btw, I thought this thread was about the new DM, anyone get one yet??
So your saying that CF desapates heat as well as aluminum ? New DM ?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DK McGee
So your saying that CF desapates heat as well as aluminum ? New DM ?
Lets look a the physics, yes aluminum will dissipate heat better. But the CF chassis has two pieces of aluminum in bedded where the motor mounts meets the chassis. Second heat rises and the hottest part of the motor is on top near the plug not the bottom. Last there is no way of accurately testing this theory, but heat is not the issue with the DM1 its weight. To make a decision on a upgrade based on heat transfer versus making the car lighter and faster is beyond me.
Question was or should be which makes the DM better CF or aluminum. My vote from experience is the CF.

As for new DM, I thought this one was replacing it.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCVYF&P=ML

btw what do I know I drive a Serpent but if they made CF version....OH MY!!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Good Conversation on the chassis.

I have all three options:

Stock Aluminum - Need to check to see if it is still flat .... (Ask BigKat)

King Headz - 7075 Machined Aluminum - Less Weight, less flex than stock

Carbon Fiber - My own cut unit, not sure I'll produce it - lighter than even the King Headz and much less than the stock one. But I also have aluminum 2-speed supports which can also help stiffen the chassis if needed.

For me, the stock chassis works well on tracks with low to medium grip, just as Tony noted. CF may be similar, but is totaly based on how it is cut. I like the King Headz on med to high grip, as it keeps the chassis roll or twist down. This lets you use a softer tire, with out traction rolling.

As to the weight, the DM-1 is heavy but I have worked to get the weigh off the upper part of the car, lowering the center of gravity, which has really helped my car. I'm currently working on light weight drive line, which will let it spool up faster. Like a light flywheel in a full sized car. Plus reduce the weight up in the air.

The new OFNA car is really just a re-badged Team-C car. I believe it would be the longer wheel base car like the new Kyosho. Not the short car like the DM-1 and Serpent car. I know the guys running the Team-C car were using the short chassis car with ok results once a two speed bearing was replaced.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Mark you should consider selling the CF chassis, as stated I never found one. That was also one of the deciding factors why I sold my DM. I felt BigKat had an advantage over me with it considering we ran the exact same setup, motor, clutch and all. Dont get me wrong Shawn is an awesome driver, but he could definitly push his DM allot harder into the turns then I ever could with the stock chassis.

Btw you going to Homestead, right??
Old 01-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

Mark you should consider selling the CF chassis, as stated I never found one. That was also one of the deciding factors why I sold my DM. I felt BigKat had an advantage over me with it considering we ran the exact same setup, motor, clutch and all. Dont get me wrong Shawn is an awesome driver, but he could definitly push his DM allot harder into the turns then I ever could with the stock chassis.

Btw you going to Homestead, right??
I'll have to think about that a little bit, as I really need to run 6-8 at a time to make it cost effective. Maybe a CF chassis for the Serpent .........

No Homestead is not in the schedule.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Tech Addict

Lets look a the physics, yes aluminum will dissipate heat better. But the CF chassis has two pieces of aluminum in bedded where the motor mounts meets the chassis. Second heat rises and the hottest part of the motor is on top near the plug not the bottom. Last there is no way of accurately testing this theory, but heat is not the issue with the DM1 its weight. To make a decision on a upgrade based on heat transfer versus making the car lighter and faster is beyond me.
Question was or should be which makes the DM better CF or aluminum. My vote from experience is the CF.

You are correct in the CF will make the car lighter but like Grenade said you can do a lot of other things to lower weight (not cheap). I have all three chassis. Both CF and King Headz are way better than stock. You said from experience but you haven't tried the CF chassis? To me it is a matter of what works on the particular track. I don't like too much twist on my chassis but it does give you "more traction" when the set up is not the optimum. The stiffer chassis will be better if the suspension is set up correctly and the track can hold the car.

If you are talking about heat transfer, the Aluminum chassis is way better. CF does not transfer heat well. The small pieces of aluminum are not embedded they are screwed to the chassis with 4 screws. They could be improved if they are made to be like a heatsink (motor mount combination). This is because the actual chassis would break by the motor. Anyway if he doesn't find the CF chassis the King Headz is much better than stock so with anyone of them will be a vast improvement.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jneg
You are correct in the CF will make the car lighter but like Grenade said you can do a lot of other things to lower weight (not cheap). I have all three chassis. Both CF and King Headz are way better than stock. You said from experience but you haven't tried the CF chassis? To me it is a matter of what works on the particular track. I don't like too much twist on my chassis but it does give you "more traction" when the set up is not the optimum. The stiffer chassis will be better if the suspension is set up correctly and the track can hold the car.

If you are talking about heat transfer, the Aluminum chassis is way better. CF does not transfer heat well. The small pieces of aluminum are not embedded they are screwed to the chassis with 4 screws. They could be improved if they Iare made to be like a heatsink (motor mount combination). This is because the actual chassis would break by the motor. Anyway if he doesn't find the CF chassis the King Headz is much better than stock so with anyone of them will be a vast improvement.
Agree with you, but would you make a decision on an upgrade that makes a car handle better based on heat transfer? As for experience I never owned one cause I couldn't find one, but racing, pitting, sharing setup, and running the exact same motor, pipe, tires, springs,fluids etc. (you get my point) next to BIGCAT TX for over a year of racing. That is experience.

Also agree it depends on the track, but how often is the track at optima level. Or should I say stays at optima level all day or race weekend.

Also on the Max Velocity chassis there were no screwa holding the aluminum.

Not disagreeing with anyone just discussing the topic of what chassis improves the DM1, I think its fair to say anyone better then stock. But when I noticed the handling and weight difference between my chassis and the CF one I would gone with the CF. Just my opinion.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks good info ! that is the Team C version

Last edited by DK McGee; 01-10-2013 at 09:36 AM. Reason: cause I can
Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Grenade: - found a guy who has a used CF chassis.....since I cannot find any new right now anywhere.
Anyway - going to put it on the car with your CF additions and see how it does with your set up. Do you have that servo tray yet?
With two cars with the same chassis (both CF) I will now really be able to test how your parts might be a bigger benefit compared to my other car/setup.

Who said the stock chassis has no flex Mine sure is flexed..... permanently that is. It will also crack where the motor mounts are.

When you get that other servo tray I'll also take another set of those shims for the back of the diffs....not the big ones....just the two little ones.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BIGCAT TX
Grenade: - found a guy who has a used CF chassis.....since I cannot find any new right now anywhere.
Anyway - going to put it on the car with your CF additions and see how it does with your set up. Do you have that servo tray yet?
With two cars with the same chassis (both CF) I will now really be able to test how your parts might be a bigger benefit compared to my other car/setup.

Who said the stock chassis has no flex Mine sure is flexed..... permanently that is. It will also crack where the motor mounts are.

When you get that other servo tray I'll also take another set of those shims for the back of the diffs....not the big ones....just the two little ones.
Servo tray is in the works ........ Yours will be in the the first batch!

10/4 on the small spacers under the diff ...... They work to keep everything from moving.

As to the CF chassis ........ I have a sheet of 5.5 that should make 5 or 6 chassis Who is ready to put some cash out for one???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.