R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #1126
Tech Adept

Ok thanks Jneg just how does the Dm1 compete with the serpent gt.I never see what cars people drive at the races other than the won who wins.
bigjez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #1127
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjez View Post
Ok thanks Jneg just how does the Dm1 compete with the serpent gt.I never see what cars people drive at the races other than the won who wins.
In stock form the DM1 is too heavy compared to the Cobra. However in the right hands it is very capable to compete. With some mods it can hang with the Cobra. My DM1 has most of the mods you can do to it and most were just to lighten it. The drivetrain of the OFNA is bullet proof. The only weak points are the suspension holders but thatís the first mod one should do to the DM1. In the last Worlds Paolo won with the Cobra (he is a great driver so this is not a surprise). In second place came a DM1 driven by a good friend of mine and he led a good portion of the main. He had a very stock looking DM1 and there were some great drivers present with other great cars. In my case, my DM1 is very far from stock and it is a great machine. In our local track I can do 24second laps with the DM1 and with the Cobra. But I can also do the same with the Kyosho (I have all three). I feel that the Cobra right now needs some minor setup to fit me and it will be quicker. But I find that the Cobra can be more consistent per lap on a long race since it holds the setup very well.
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #1128
Tech Adept

Ahh! Ok that good yo hear that its still up there running good.
I really want to covert another buggy yo gt but that's more cash to shell out...I don't know i never raced before but i hope yo real soon this class has hooked me every since i seen it.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:59 AM   #1129
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneg View Post
In stock form the DM1 is too heavy compared to the Cobra. However in the right hands it is very capable to compete. With some mods it can hang with the Cobra. My DM1 has most of the mods you can do to it and most were just to lighten it. The drivetrain of the OFNA is bullet proof. The only weak points are the suspension holders but that’s the first mod one should do to the DM1. In the last Worlds Paolo won with the Cobra (he is a great driver so this is not a surprise). In second place came a DM1 driven by a good friend of mine and he led a good portion of the main. He had a very stock looking DM1 and there were some great drivers present with other great cars. In my case, my DM1 is very far from stock and it is a great machine. In our local track I can do 24second laps with the DM1 and with the Cobra. But I can also do the same with the Kyosho (I have all three). I feel that the Cobra right now needs some minor setup to fit me and it will be quicker. But I find that the Cobra can be more consistent per lap on a long race since it holds the setup very well.
Also remember that the DM1s car won the 2012 GT World Championships in the GT Spec Class.
All three different brand chassis have proven competitive.
Driver, equipment and a little luck help a lot too.

Last edited by Jspeed; 11-02-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #1130
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
Also remember that the DM1s car won the 2012 GT World Championships in the GT Spec Class.
All three different brand chassis have proven competitive.
Driver, equipment and a little luck help a lot too.

Tha is correc, I forgot that Hilton won the Spec Class driving a virtual clone to my DM-1 in the last Ipanema worlds. The racing was very tight and competitive. I didn't have luck on my side that day in Spec but I did a good job in open.
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #1131
Tech Adept

Nice
Old 11-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #1132
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneg View Post
Tha is correc, I forgot that Hilton won the Spec Class driving a virtual clone to my DM-1 in the last Ipanema worlds. The racing was very tight and competitive. I didn't have luck on my side that day in Spec but I did a good job in open.
Jneg, my luck was just the opposite. I was a leaky tank from standing on that podium in third in spec and had to settle for 4th. In the open, I just never got a good run wasn't anywhere in contention like I should have been. We will have it together and both be in contention in both classes at the next Ipanema GT Worlds.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #1133
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

BigKat from Texas, put all the new parts on one of his cars for the Gulf Coast GP. Comment was:

"Can't Belive How Hard This Set Up Turns In"

He did not end up running this car as it had a 2mm "Bow" front to back in his chassis, which makes the car a little hard to drive. I know as I've had a bent chassis in one of mine as well this year.

He ran his old reliable DM-1 with pretty good results. The Serpents were flying again with PColeman taking the win over BSydor.
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com

Last edited by Grenade10; 11-14-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #1134
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
BigKat from Texas, put all the new parts on one of his cars for the Gulf Coast GP. Comment was:

"Can't Belive How Hard This Set Up Turns In"

He did not end up running this car as it had a 2mm "Bow" front to back in his chassis, which makes the car a little hard to drive. I know as I've had a bent chassis in one of mine as well this year.

He ran his old reliable DM-1 with pretty good results. The Serpents were flying again with PColeman taking the win over BSydor.
I did try the new parts and still need to dial in set up with a new chassis.....I will update after trying everything dialed in. The quality of the parts were hands down excellent.....
Hobby Express - www.TheHobbyExpress.com
BIGCAT TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #1135
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGCAT TX View Post
I did try the new parts and still need to dial in set up with a new chassis.....I will update after trying everything dialed in. The quality of the parts were hands down excellent.....
Thanks for note on the quality of the parts.

I'm thinking for the track in Houston, with the sweeper on, 240' straight, sweeper off, that the shock oil could be upped to 1,000cwt to keep the car from laying over on the sweeper off.

I'm working on a car just for that track (might also work at Homestead as well) using the King Headz 7075 chassis and some light weight parts.

Mark
Old 12-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #1136
Tech Elite

I had some foam bumpers cut that are thicker like the one in the electric DM-1 but large enough to fit behind the OFNA McLaren body. They can be trimmed to fit any of the other bodies out there. I did a small run to see how they fit and work.

If your interested, $12 plus some shipping.

If these sell, I'll make a larger run.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #1137
Tech Adept

Does any know if there is a carbon fiber chassis for the dm1 nitro and is it legal and worth it.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #1138
Tech Adept

Quote:
Does any know if there is a carbon fiber chassis for the dm1 nitro and is it legal and worth it.
I run the CF chassis from Max Velocity and although I had my doubts initially, after one year of racing with many events it has more than proven itself to me.
I have a second car and was actually trying to find another one......the chassis has taken a beating and still performs very well.

yes it is legal.

some people say it isn't worth it? There is also the kingz head which is aluminum.

I would say either is better than stock.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #1139
Tech Adept

Ok thanks i look on there site (max velocity)and didn't see it.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #1140
Tech Adept

Quote:
Ok thanks i look on there site (max velocity)and didn't see it.
I know......he is out of stock of almost all the CF items for the DM1 right now. Not sure if he will make another run of them or not?

I'll try to find out.....