R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #736
Tech Addict
 
CurveTracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Suburban Chicago
Posts: 504
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I run one clutch bell with three of the small bearings and an extension also.
It works very well. My backup engine and clutch bell has only two bearings
in front and a shorter extension that has the flange shaved down in diameter.
Both work fine and I have never has any bearing failures.

Regarding those Kyosho needle bearing assemblies .... they are so fragile.
I was very surprised to see them when I races an 1/8 IGT1 in 2008.
The same needle bearings with a plastic cage was used on my smaller
and less powerful 1/10 scale Kyosho GTR car (1994).
__________________
"Yellow Jacket" Mugen MTX-6, Picco Torque
TeamNITRO RC Club, Lynwood, Illinois
CurveTracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #737
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,940
Default

OK, thanks guys.. Still not seeing how you're getting that much space in front of the CB for 3 bearings...

Or wait.. Maybe I do... Aaahhhhhh... It's clear.. OK, I guess I just need a second Ofna pack with the shorter extension.. And several more small bearings..

Also, I had thought about shaving down the round black thingy to fit inside the bell, but hadn't actually heard that people had done this to solve the problem.

Thanks folks...
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:19 AM   #738
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,940
Default

Will any old Jammin buggy or truggy servo tray fit in the 1/7 DM-1, with no modding?

I have a second 1/7 kit here, and both came without the three-point linkage part. To get it, you have to buy a whole bunch of parts(and in my case, order from abroad..) I don't like the lay-down servo arrangment anyway. Overcomplicates everything.

Anyway, if I want to sell this second kit(got a killer deal for it NIB on ebay), I need to sort out this linkage issue.., because I know the part is missing.
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:59 AM   #739
Tech Master
 
bobbyblaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,565
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bobbyblaze
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
OK, thanks guys.. Still not seeing how you're getting that much space in front of the CB for 3 bearings...

Or wait.. Maybe I do... Aaahhhhhh... It's clear.. OK, I guess I just need a second Ofna pack with the shorter extension.. And several more small bearings..

Also, I had thought about shaving down the round black thingy to fit inside the bell, but hadn't actually heard that people had done this to solve the problem.

Thanks folks...

you don't need the black spacer ...Curve explain it dead on , i run 2 Advid bearings in front with short spacer w/o any mods
__________________
Arrma Nero 6s, Ofna DM-1 Pro
Traxxas Revo 3.3, Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3, Traxxas Jato 3.3
Traxxas Slash Platinum, Traxxas Slash 2WD
Bend The Rules--Rule The Bends
bobbyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #740
Tech Master
 
RC-Crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bellevue, WA.
Posts: 1,463
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted_Metal View Post


What did you use to color the rims? I used paint but that never works right ..
I use find sandpaper first, then black body paint after.
__________________
Go Fast or Go Home.
RC-Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #741
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblaze View Post
you don't need the black spacer ...Curve explain it dead on , i run 2 Advid bearings in front with short spacer w/o any mods
The problem is, I ordered the two separate Ofna shim kits, and already have the short silver spacer in the DM-1 now. I.e., I now only have the really long spacer from that kit, and the two black rounded spacers from the other kit. One of which I mounted to the dremel today and tried to sand down, but it didn't really work, either with a file or on fine sandpaper... Need to find a better harder material to wear it down on..

Last edited by Herrsavage; 02-16-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:21 PM   #742
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-Crazy View Post
I use find sandpaper first, then black body paint after.
I tried to paint mine a few times, but the nitro fuel just acts as a thinner over the long haul ...
Twisted_Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #743
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 178
Default

To add to the bearing issue for anyone having problems I feel your pain. I blew through 3 clutch bells from bearing failure OFNA GTP 2 alone and if you know those ratchet clutch bells aren't cheap $25+ a piece. I tried everything 2 and 3 bearings and even went as far as ordering high heat bearings from Boca and no avail. I was told by a hobby shop worker the best thing to do is to tear it down after every run and clean and lube.
Twisted_Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:26 AM   #744
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 137
Default

Posted on the GT thread but no answer.

Hello guys, I am thinking about buying a DM1 and wanted to know the main difference of both kits the pro vs the spec, I went to the ofna website but could not see enough info about the pro. About the weight how much more does the pro weight and also are there enough bodies out there for the pro?

Thanks!
arix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #745
Tech Addict
 
WildBillMassey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Bay Ontario Canada
Posts: 702
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arix View Post
Posted on the GT thread but no answer.

Hello guys, I am thinking about buying a DM1 and wanted to know the main difference of both kits the pro vs the spec, I went to the ofna website but could not see enough info about the pro. About the weight how much more does the pro weight and also are there enough bodies out there for the pro?

Thanks!
The DM-1 Spec is a 1/8 scale and the DM-ONE Pro is a 1/7 scale.

Full specs can be found here:

DM-1 Spec- http://www.igthobbies.com/product_p/ofn34303.htm

DM-ONE Pro- http://www.igthobbies.com/product_p/ofn34321.htm
__________________
Former owner of The Nitro Pit and IGT Hobbies
Now living in the Great White North.

You may think you know what you're talking about, but the only person you're fooling is yourself - Wild Bill Massey
WildBillMassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #746
Tech Addict
 
CurveTracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Suburban Chicago
Posts: 504
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Here are some additional comparisons:
Wheel base DM1 375 mm
DM1 Spec 330 mm (same as Kyosho IGT1)
So the DM1 Spec is a shorter car, both cars are the same width.

The DM1 has both Front and Rear shocks mounted horizontally.
The DM1 Spec has only the Front shocks mounted horizontally, the rear
shocks are mounted vertically.

Many racers change the DM1 spec front shocks to vertical to achieve
better handling. The same with the DM1, some racers have achieved better handling
by changing both Front and Rear shocks to vertical mount configuration.
The DM1 chassis is longer than the DM1 Spec.
The DM1 has the side body mounts, and you could modify the DM1 Spec
to use them, it requires some work.
Hope this helps you.
__________________
"Yellow Jacket" Mugen MTX-6, Picco Torque
TeamNITRO RC Club, Lynwood, Illinois

Last edited by CurveTracer; 02-17-2011 at 03:42 PM.
CurveTracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #747
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
The problem is, I ordered the two separate Ofna shim kits, and already have the short silver spacer in the DM-1 now. I.e., I now only have the really long spacer from that kit, and the two black rounded spacers from the other kit. One of which I mounted to the dremel today and tried to sand down, but it didn't really work, either with a file or on fine sandpaper... Need to find a better harder material to wear it down on..
Your problem is very easy to solve, if you have the short extension you can use 2 small bearings and 1 large. Of course you still need to shim for a little play or risk of bearing damage. If you have the long spacer then you can go 3 small and 1 large. Again proper shimming is required. Hope this helps you out.
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #748
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,940
Default

Yeah, the shorter one is IN my DM-1 now, with 2 small bearings and 6-7 shims up front.. Was just not sure if the long spacer is too long... If you guys say so I'l shim it up with 3 bearings and see how it goes.. Gonna need a long screw I guess...

The other small rounded black bits from the other Ofna kit are not so easy to grind down.. At least not yet..
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:21 PM   #749
Tech Master
 
bobbyblaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,565
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bobbyblaze
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
Yeah, the shorter one is IN my DM-1 now, with 2 small bearings and 6-7 shims up front.. Was just not sure if the long spacer is too long... If you guys say so I'l shim it up with 3 bearings and see how it goes.. Gonna need a long screw I guess...

The other small rounded black bits from the other Ofna kit are not so easy to grind down.. At least not yet..
6-7 shims? Are you sure you got the bearings pushed all the way in? i'm only using 2 shims, and the black bits i'm not using
__________________
Arrma Nero 6s, Ofna DM-1 Pro
Traxxas Revo 3.3, Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3, Traxxas Jato 3.3
Traxxas Slash Platinum, Traxxas Slash 2WD
Bend The Rules--Rule The Bends
bobbyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:25 PM   #750
Tech Master
 
bobbyblaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,565
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bobbyblaze
Default

i was thinking & looking at the king headz 2 peice motor mount to easlily switch motors from open to spec class ...has anyone tried that idea yet ?
__________________
Arrma Nero 6s, Ofna DM-1 Pro
Traxxas Revo 3.3, Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3, Traxxas Jato 3.3
Traxxas Slash Platinum, Traxxas Slash 2WD
Bend The Rules--Rule The Bends
bobbyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OFNA OB4 Slimline parts car - see pics: $30 plus shipping AZrcDude R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 15 02-18-2007 07:57 AM
Ofna OB4 Nitro For Trade (pics) bujuOne R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 06-06-2006 01:01 PM
OFNA JAMMIN X1 RTR BUGGY with upgrades. WITH PICS yellowpasta2000 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 10 02-07-2006 03:09 PM
OFNA CD3 PRO ROLLER PICS INSIDE kwilke R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 07-18-2005 02:02 PM
Ofna Pirate 10 F/S F/T *Pics* maseeh R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 11-17-2003 06:12 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:51 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net