new ofna DM1 pics and thoughts :):)

Like Tree1Likes

new ofna DM1 pics and thoughts :):)

Old 07-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by Jspeed
There's a real good reason for that, it would be like allowing a 1/8 scale to race against our GTs. GT class racing has been growing strong because of the rule structure and initial start up costs.

While the belt cars are super cool, it would force GT racers to get them to remain competitive against them. With the current world economy and the desire for more fun=less technical=less expensive approach to North American style GT racing is growing; while other classes are in decline, GT continues to grow in popularity.

The fact is a good driver with a pretty much RTR GT car can win big races (Paul Roberts current GT Spec Class World Champion). If the belt cars entered the game, it would be a double edged sword.

I hope in the future to see a class dedicated to just the belt cars, they do look like they'd be killers and fun to race too.
Jeff, I am not trying to adovcate the cars for racing in the current GT class or any other class. It's all good, no one is going to wreck the fun you guys are having!
Old 07-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am looking for some advice… I am new to nitro on-road and I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a DM-1 Pro Spec and I need some engine and servo guidance from any DM-1 owners. My only experience with nitro to date is a Savage SS with a OS .28 which I just beat around in the desert.

That said, my plan is to race in a 1/8th 'GT' class (not even sure where to go yet )

Engine: One that is reliable and easy to tune. Super horsepower is not a big concern at this stage, just a good reliable engine with enough torque that does not cost an arm and a leg.

My thoughts so far: 1.) O.S. .21 VG(P), 2.) OFNA .28 Picco (Pull start), 3.) Force .28 4.) Other suggestions???? Also, what kind of pipe and header? Are they manufacturer specific? Is a pull start ok, or are they a PIA? I am leaning toward the O.S. as the one in my Savage is bomb proof..

Servos: Not even sure where to go with this one.

Any servo > 50oz of torque for throttle and brake, and any decent speed servo with 80oz+ of torque for steering? Will the Tower 'specials' that match those specs be ok?

Any guidance would be most welcome!!!
Old 07-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Tech Addict

Of the engines you mentioned, all are good engines. I personally prefer any engine without the pull start. The force is a powerhouse and works great with the DM-1. The OS VG was used and won the worlds in Homestead. The only thing that I don't like about the Picco is that it consumes more fuel than the others. I would go with OS, Force, Picco in that order. On pipes many people like the OFNA 089 (?), for the OS I would suggest the OS 2050 if you can find one but the OS 2060 is a great pipe for the VG. The 2060 has a little more top end and is a little more smooth, but the 2050 provides more power. For the force or the Picco the Jammin JP-3 works really good.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

right now i'm using stock clutch setup , was thimg about buying the JLR clutch flywheel kit, is it good or what clutch kit do you guys use?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Tech Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Micro-E
I am looking for some advice… I am new to nitro on-road and I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a DM-1 Pro Spec and I need some engine and servo guidance from any DM-1 owners. My only experience with nitro to date is a Savage SS with a OS .28 which I just beat around in the desert.

That said, my plan is to race in a 1/8th 'GT' class (not even sure where to go yet )

Engine: One that is reliable and easy to tune. Super horsepower is not a big concern at this stage, just a good reliable engine with enough torque that does not cost an arm and a leg.

My thoughts so far: 1.) O.S. .21 VG(P), 2.) OFNA .28 Picco (Pull start), 3.) Force .28 4.) Other suggestions???? Also, what kind of pipe and header? Are they manufacturer specific? Is a pull start ok, or are they a PIA? I am leaning toward the O.S. as the one in my Savage is bomb proof..

Servos: Not even sure where to go with this one.

Any servo > 50oz of torque for throttle and brake, and any decent speed servo with 80oz+ of torque for steering? Will the Tower 'specials' that match those specs be ok?

Any guidance would be most welcome!!!

Check with the track for engine rules.

An Ofna 086 on-road pipe system for buggies works with everything if allowed by your rules, its good quality and inexpensive.

Racers like starter boxes, shaft start systems work for having fun, no one likes pull starts.

I like JR racing servos, mine are fast, big torque (175 plus on both) metal gears (a must) and have 3 year warranties. No one else offers 3 year warranties on racing quality servos. The throttle servo has to be strong enough to overcome a strong rubber band and pull the throttle closed if the battery or switch fails. My steering servo has 250 oz, I've never had a JR servo fail racing.

You should have a radio system with a programable fail safe! If you lose the signal, the fail safe will shut the throttle closed. A fail safe will not close the throttle if the battery of switch fails !!!!!

Wrecked cars and blown engines are no fun, get good stuff, finishing the race is half the battle.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bobbyblaze
right now i'm using stock clutch setup , was thimg about buying the JLR clutch flywheel kit, is it good or what clutch kit do you guys use?
Is the stock clutch working?

Metal shoe clutches require more maintenance, alot more. If the track is slippery, they don't allow enough slip and make the car hard to drive,

Some guys mix aluminum and carbon shoes, I've heard its a good compromise. I plan to try a 4 shoe, with carbon shoes (when I find one I like).
Old 07-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by williamw
Is the stock clutch working?

Metal shoe clutches require more maintenance, alot more. If the track is slippery, they don't allow enough slip and make the car hard to drive,

Some guys mix aluminum and carbon shoes, I've heard its a good compromise. I plan to try a 4 shoe, with carbon shoes (when I find one I like).
stock setup working fine just wanna upgrade...i don't mind the maintenace i do a tear down the car after a days run and inspect everything anyway
Old 07-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default DM1

stock setup working fine just wanna upgrade...i don't mind the maintenace i do a tear down the car after a days run and inspect everything anyway
Hi Bobby, How is the car doing now with the stand shocks?
On my DM1 I used one aluminum clutch shoe, and two Ofna upgraded shoes.
Worked great
Old 07-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by brc358
Hi Bobby, How is the car doing now with the stand shocks?
On my DM1 I used one aluminum clutch shoe, and two Ofna upgraded shoes.
Worked great
i love car ..i'm planning buying 2 more,1for eclectric class , 1 for open class & use 3rd one just for parking lots..quick question did you like ya picco onroad engine thinking of getting one
Old 07-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Tech Regular

Cool SNR_ graphite

Can't wait to get the new graphite parts from SNR_Graphite. He has a new front shock tower that allows the use of the short front shocks (dollars saved). I have a servo tray and the rear shock tower comming also.

Ok, who has a good setup using stand up shocks for this car?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default DM1

i love car ..i'm planning buying 2 more,1for eclectric class , 1 for open class & use 3rd one just for parking lots..quick question did you like ya picco onroad engine thinking of getting one
The Pico Evo 3<the one I was using> was modified by Team Kamikaze <Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies> and at first I ran it in my Mugen MRX4X. Enigne was amazing. I then bought the DM1 and installed the Pico in the DM1 with a 2052 Novarossi pipe. It was without a doubt the fastest DM1 I have ever seen. I had so many people asking my why that DM1 was so quick, but with the engine,pipe, and set up I was using, the car just plain out ran away from any other DM1 it went up against.
I sold the DM1 so a guy in New York, and after about a month I e-mailed him to see how he liked it.
He said the same thing. That modifed Pico Evo 3 set up was just burning up the tracks in his area.
I know a few of the Ofna drivers, and two of them were amazed at the car after they drove it here in So Ca. before I sold it.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

i was out doing some laps and i kind of wonder ....i ran the stand up shock tower the car ran excellennt but when i went to the stock towers(front) my laps were the same but just alittle faster and i notice the body roll...do anyone have the same result?
Old 07-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

i was out doing some laps and i kind of wonder ....i ran the stand up shock tower the car ran excellennt but when i went to the stock towers(front) my laps were the same but just alittle faster and i notice the body roll...do anyone have the same result?
When you say stock setup do you mean the pushrod setup? More body roll at the front is not a bad thing on a low traction track.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by williamw
When you say stock setup do you mean the pushrod setup? More body roll at the front is not a bad thing on a low traction track.
yes the pushrod setup....the traction was good and the tires were ofna w/o belt next week going to order some rubber & foams see how they work
Old 07-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default dm 1 clutch set up

for an awesome clutch set up use dynamite long wear clutch shoes you'll get at least 2-3 mnths of wear out of them with ofna 1.1 mm gold springs for a snappy feeling off the line and out of corners and maximum fun and minimum maintenance

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.