R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-05-2006, 07:42 PM   #31
Tech Adept

just curious adim_x

at a minimum cost of $500 for the kit, be it serpent, mugen, or kyosho to name a few, and a minimum cost of almost $400-600 for a competetive race engine, where do you come up with the figure of $1000.00 for a race ready 1/8th on road kit????

i mean no disrespect but if you are able to point me in the direction of a shop that will sell me a kyosho evolva wc kit, a novarossi 35 plus 21, airtronics m11 with 94362 servos, body, starterbox, tires, tire truer, chargers, etc etc for under a grand, hey, im all over that one.

what im saying is for around $500-550 you can at least get a kit and go out and try what the rest of us already know, that its a hell of a lot of fun to be competetive and race against others.

it has to start somewhere, dont bag on a beginner just cause he didnt drop $2000.00 on a full race setup that he may not even like or may be discouraged by those that are better than him and dont want him on the same track as themselves
dremelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:45 PM   #32
Tech Adept

Default hmmmm

just curious adim_x

at a minimum cost of $500 for the kit, be it serpent, mugen, or kyosho to name a few, and a minimum cost of almost $400-600 for a competetive race engine, where do you come up with the figure of $1000.00 for a race ready 1/8th on road kit????

i mean no disrespect but if you are able to point me in the direction of a shop that will sell me a kyosho evolva wc kit, a novarossi 35 plus 21, airtronics m11 with 94362 servos, body, starterbox, tires, tire truer, chargers, etc etc for under a grand, hey, im all over that one.

what im saying is for around $500-550 you can at least get a kit and go out and try what the rest of us already know, that its a hell of a lot of fun to be competetive and race against others.

it has to start somewhere, dont bag on a beginner just cause he didnt drop $2000.00 on a full race setup that he may not even like or may be discouraged by those that are better than him and dont want him on the same track as themselves
Old 11-05-2006, 07:50 PM   #33
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adim_X
I still dont understand the point. Someone earlier stated you could use an ofna force 21 engine, look at the pics. Thats a 300 dollar picco. You can have an 1/8th onroad race ready for a grand. I dont see how this is any better or cheaper. maybe its more fun to play with in front of your house.
Its still cheaper than a 1/8th onroad setup. I've had RC's in just about every class there is except 1/8th onroad. Its really, really expensive when you have to be competitive. Example, like tires is what did it for me. If I want to run a lot, I'd need to buy a lot of foam tires and an expensive tire truer.

Anyways, I like the idea of a spec class at RAMS. I was already thinking about getting a DM1 since I prefer large scale cars and occasionally racing it since I'm very busy. However, I cannot justify a $1500+ 1/8th onroad racing setup to race just a few times a year. I'd rather spend double that and get into kart racing.

Last edited by Dan; 11-05-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:57 PM   #34
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Adim_X

Ok, most of the people you are talking to here are experienced rc people Being that I am an experienced enthusiast, I have lots of stuff lying around. When I got into 1/8th scale onroad this summer it didnt cost a lot. I had good starter boxes lying around, good servos, and a spare receiver or two. I needed a kit. Mugen mrx4r 500, ninja motor 379, couple sets or tires, boom I was in for a grand. I am just saying that i dont know why we need a new class, when we should strive to make what we already have more affordable. If you wanna reach the newbie, have at it. But i doubt more than 10percent of those kits hit a track. Im not tryin to start crap, im just a realist. I dont see the point of this kit. If you get rcpro, or roar to accept these with rules than maybe you have a shot at a cheap alternative. But as long as i have a choice with motors, tires, servos, chassis options, hop ups its all going to be just as expensive. you are creating a new class, not a spec race car. the way i look at it is that you are making my racing more expensive. Because if i go to the track next spring, and i am the only 1/8th onroad racer there, then i go home. Then i have to buy whatever they are racing at the track. If they race your new car, than i have to reinvest in a whole new class.
Adim_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:11 AM   #35
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adim_X
....... I am just saying that i dont know why we need a new class, when we should strive to make what we already have more affordable. .

Here in the SWCS (Texas) we have been running a Spec 1/8 class for the past year or so. Rules in a nutshell are any 1/8 chassis using a spec fuel, and a spec motor ( Serpent Mega DX2). There is also a motor claim rule although the dollar amount is a little too high for any one to do much claiming in my opinion. It is turning into one of the more popular and competitive classes we run.
P2gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:14 AM   #36
Tech Master

Well what I like about this car is its size and weight, I suspect that it will handle pretty good on unprepared tracks and make a good parking lot basher. It should be fairly durable since it is made on a buggy chassis. I think this car will deveople its own nitch if it does not cost tooo much. I like it waiting for a review to hear how it handles, you know Serpent had alot of problems with their Veteq and the lay down suspension I hope this car does not have those problem in regards to setup.

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 11-06-2006 at 08:27 AM.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:44 AM   #37
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcrevolution

this looks more like a 1/7th scale basher then anything that can compete in any race with the mugens or serpents
rcrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:01 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey guys I got the DM-1 and the car runs great, on the street the rubber tires work great but use some good glue to keep them tires together, on the track I've had to use foam to get it stick real good the car has a lot of steering and it makes it a challenge to drive but when the car gets down the straight it moves crashes are little dramatic because it's not like a 10th scale because when u oversteer a corner you just spinout but on the DM-1 when it starts to break loose it has a slow drifting feel to to save to car from smacking the boards which I find to be alot of fun working with car. As for clutch I'm using the three shoe setup because it works good but I have aluminum silver shoes to make the long wear factor, and it still comes out of the corner good, I've dropped my ride height to 7mm front to back and limited some of the front end travel to calm the steering down a little more, roll centers are in the upper inner corner front and rear, rear toe 2.5, camber for the front 2,and 3 at the rear , toe in the front is neg. 1. I'm not a spetacular set up guy because I'm always trying something differnt but it works and killer fun, my 10th scale is pretty crazy as in spare stuff and tires and engine when it comes to racing, but this monster is like my relaxer, when you see it on the track it gets big smiles from everyone at the track from off-roaders to on- roaders and get good responces, I've had 1/8th sclae buggy guys say they like the size beacuse it's easy to see and feel like they can be more familiar with the car scine they know the drive train and where it comes from. But the best thing I see with this is that for those 1/5th scale guys that want to go race but can't get to that particular track to race because of the size, and the 10th scale guys that want to go a little larger or for the buggy guy that want to hit the tarmac, this car is not too big for those mid size track like Revelation and will probably look good on a larger track like Crystal Park (looking forward to running it there in a couple of weeks)but this car can give alot cars a run for the money and having them say (DAMMNNNNNN!!!!!!!)
-R2- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:18 PM   #39
Tech Master

R-2 are the diffs adjustable?? Can you put oil in them to adjust diff action??
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:40 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Silicon oils to create differnt diff action, I have 100k in the front and 50k for the rear but will try others later
-R2- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:54 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrevolution
this looks more like a 1/7th scale basher then anything that can compete in any race with the mugens or serpents
It's a actually a little smaller than a 1/7th scale car. It's what OFNA would call "X" scale.

The chassis was not designed compete with an on-road 1/8th scale car.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:06 PM   #42
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

I have to give prop to OFNA for being creative about creating new product.....it reminded me about the Serpent/Mugen 235mm series, it was a fun class. And I have to spare my 2-cent...........don't mix this thing up with 1/8th on-road. This is 1/7th, different class, different chassis, different stuff..........and even if you drop a hand modified nova rossi 35 plus 21 onto the DM1, it will still not be able to run with any 1/8th on road right now. For those who ran 1/8th will know why.....just the LOLA body, wider tires, lower CG and tons of other stuff on the current 1/8th can outrun this 1/7th car with heavier weight, narrower rear tires and TC body....

It is simply not fair.........this car should have their own class.

But now....how many of us will invest $1000 (assuming buying all new engine and gears and stuff) and find out only 1 or 2 ppl has it and can't even allow to race...? THAT......OFNA has to work on some promotion thing (Race)....remind me about the eariler times of HPI when they host those HPI challenge.....does help their sales a lot.

Overall, I do like the car....except the laydown suspension.......(bad experience from veteq and too REVO lookalike).

The Mugen Syntec should be able to handle this car...it is not 2 times bigger then 1/8th car, it is 1/7th....probably 10% more then 1/8th...+/-.

So, $550 +/- is kit only...? Need 21 and bigger engine? Pipe, header, radio gears and 1/7th body?
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:37 PM   #43
Tech Adept

the pricing on the pro kits is $500.00 currently, the cost of the ready to run kits will be between $500-550, not totally sure yet since they havnt hit the market yet, but this gets back to what i said in a few earlier posts, if you can get someone in to one of these kits reary to run for between $500-600 dollars thats not bad.

sure these arent going to be competetive with the serpents and the mugens and kyoshos, but they were never intended to be, ofna never set out to compete with anyone one but just to offer a new kit to the market.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:09 PM   #44
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

How will the owners of the DM1 RTR kits compete with the owners of the DM1 Pro kits?
vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:01 AM   #45
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Adim_X

The owners of the rtrs will have to buy better servos, radio, starter box, engine. To be competitive with kit versions. Wow this car is a relief to the struggling hobby.
Adim_X is offline   Reply With Quote