R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2009, 08:34 AM   #211
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 101
Default

The OFNA premounted slicks have been the best I have used hands down. I think it is due to the softer foam used. It compresses and increases your patch area. I have traction rolled my DM1
GT Speed Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:16 AM   #212
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Moreno Valley, Ca.
Posts: 1,934
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to motojon
Default

Paragon helps out a bunch also good traction nice wear especially on preped tracks. in parking lot racing the treaded tires seem to work a little better
__________________
My Gpa(RIP)
motojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #213
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 101
Default

I agree that paragon works well.

That shock tower on ebay. Don't know if the pics will come in.
Attached Thumbnails
new ofna DM1 pics and thoughts :):)-dscf1264.jpg   new ofna DM1 pics and thoughts :):)-dscf1257.jpg  
GT Speed Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #214
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 101
Default

FYI pics of that stand up servo tray.
Attached Thumbnails
new ofna DM1 pics and thoughts :):)-dscf1262.jpg   new ofna DM1 pics and thoughts :):)-dscf1258.jpg  
GT Speed Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #215
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Moreno Valley, Ca.
Posts: 1,934
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to motojon
Default

THe stand up shock system seems to make the car handle a lot better. My friend Sandfan made his own and it seemed to allow him to drive a lot better. would hold the corners a lot better
__________________
My Gpa(RIP)
motojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #216
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 836
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Speed Freak View Post
The DM1 spec is a sweet car. I have run both the GT and the DM1 and they are in different classes.

FYI

There is a carbon fiber shock tower on ebay specifically for the DM1 spec that uses the same front shocks. I went with the stand up shock config to reduce weight by getting rid of all that linkage. I also picked up the carbon fiber servo tray. I have been taken out of 2 A-Mains due to getting wacked in the side and breaking my servo.


One thing great about the original DM-1 is that it offers side crash bars to reduce the chances of servos going out upon side impacts. Your conversion to the upright radio tray is really good. I might have to do the same thing. Is the CF radio tray for the Jammin X1 buggy?

Who is making the stand up shock tower. If you can please post the link or PM me the link to the guy selling the tower....
Attached Thumbnails
new ofna DM1 pics and thoughts :):)-picture-024-.jpg  
vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:05 PM   #217
Tech Regular
 
sandfan85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beaumont, CA
Posts: 250
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojon View Post
Paragon helps out a bunch also good traction nice wear especially on preped tracks. in parking lot racing the treaded tires seem to work a little better
JOOONNNNNNN............. shhhhhhhhhhhhh. Your giving it all away. J/k. The ofna belted slicks (#86051) with the molded medium inserts (81098) work very well. There kind of a pain in the a$$ to mount, but they work great.
sandfan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:06 AM   #218
Tech Master
 
kmichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: land O lakes,Fla.
Posts: 1,698
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default DM1 spec

In changing the front shocks to stand-up was there big enought differance to make the change or can the same be done with set-up? I'm not having any problem with getting the lay-downs to work good and tight in the corner but alittle extra is always welcome
kmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:44 AM   #219
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadn1 View Post
One thing great about the original DM-1 is that it offers side crash bars to reduce the chances of servos going out upon side impacts. Your conversion to the upright radio tray is really good. I might have to do the same thing. Is the CF radio tray for the Jammin X1 buggy?

Who is making the stand up shock tower. If you can please post the link or PM me the link to the guy selling the tower....
Max Velocity makes a whole DM1 CF Kit. Its on ebay if you search DM1/DM1 Spec. There email is maxvelocityracing@live.com. I have the whole CF kit. If you look at OFNA drivers Jeffrey Lin or Steve Nyguens car they are all decked out in CF. I TQed over Steve at the Nitro Fest in Tampa with stock parts but when I saw his car I new I could increase the power to weight ratio in mine by going to CF. I got hit in the servo during warm up for the A-main and couldn't get it fixed in time for the start. Those guys are all about making there cars lighter. It increases your acceleration and top speed.
GT Speed Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #220
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 836
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Speed Freak View Post
Max Velocity makes a whole DM1 CF Kit. Its on ebay if you search DM1/DM1 Spec. There email is maxvelocityracing@live.com. I have the whole CF kit. If you look at OFNA drivers Jeffrey Lin or Steve Nyguens car they are all decked out in CF. I TQed over Steve at the Nitro Fest in Tampa with stock parts but when I saw his car I new I could increase the power to weight ratio in mine by going to CF. I got hit in the servo during warm up for the A-main and couldn't get it fixed in time for the start. Those guys are all about making there cars lighter. It increases your acceleration and top speed.
Found the guy thanks a bunch. With the DM-1 more weight reduction the better.
vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:15 AM   #221
Tech Addict
 
CurveTracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Suburban Chicago
Posts: 504
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

The front CF shock tower appears to provide more options for shock angle (ie motion ratio). I can see the benefit of the radio tray mounting the servos vertically, moving them out of harms way.
Anyone know what the actual weight savings is for these CF parts compared with the kit parts?
__________________
"Yellow Jacket" Mugen MTX-6, Picco Torque
TeamNITRO RC Club, Lynwood, Illinois
CurveTracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #222
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Moreno Valley, Ca.
Posts: 1,934
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to motojon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfan85 View Post
JOOONNNNNNN............. shhhhhhhhhhhhh. Your giving it all away. J/k. The ofna belted slicks (#86051) with the molded medium inserts (81098) work very well. There kind of a pain in the a$$ to mount, but they work great.
Hey im just trying to give you props........especially with your machining work with those new slicks at CP you were looking extremely good
__________________
My Gpa(RIP)
motojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #223
Tech Regular
 
sandfan85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beaumont, CA
Posts: 250
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojon View Post
Hey im just trying to give you props........especially with your machining work with those new slicks at CP you were looking extremely good

See you out there.
sandfan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #224
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 836
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfan85 View Post

See you out there.

Would you care to share your setup for the DM-1, also are you running the spec or original DM-1?
vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:26 PM   #225
Tech Regular
 
sandfan85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beaumont, CA
Posts: 250
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadn1 View Post
Would you care to share your setup for the DM-1, also are you running the spec or original DM-1?
Hey vadn1, I wouldn't mind at all!! I'm running the spec version. First off I fabricated a shock tower for the front to simplify setup options. I thought it would also lower the CG by getting the shocks down lower and eliminate some of the weight with the rockers and the push rods and shock mounting bracket. I'm not sure if it made a big difference or not but it is much easier to make adjustments. As far as setup goes this is what I've been running lately.

Front:
diff oil: 50k
shock oil: 3k diff oil
springs: white
sway bar: flat
camber: -1.5
caster: all shims in forward pos. (pulling upper arm to full + caster)
roll center: upper hinge pin in lowest position
ride height: 10mm (track is kinda bumpy)
toe out: 0
Droop: This one is kinda tough. There is alot of deflection in the plastic sway bar holder making if hard to get an accurate droop setting so I pretty much just make sure both front tires are coming off the ground at the same time.

Rear:
diff oil: 30k
shock oil: 3k diff oil
springs: white
sway bar: flat
camber: -2.5
roll center: upper pin in lowest position. (chassis side, not hub side)
ride height: 12mm (track is kinda bumpy)
Toe: 2 deg (per side)
Droop: I removed the set screws from their stock location and put them in the lower arms to make these adjustments easier and more accurate.

How does this setup compare with what your currently using? Feel free to share any setups changes you have found to get you to the front.
Have Fun. Steve
sandfan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OFNA OB4 Slimline parts car - see pics: $30 plus shipping AZrcDude R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 15 02-18-2007 07:57 AM
Ofna OB4 Nitro For Trade (pics) bujuOne R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 06-06-2006 01:01 PM
OFNA JAMMIN X1 RTR BUGGY with upgrades. WITH PICS yellowpasta2000 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 10 02-07-2006 03:09 PM
OFNA CD3 PRO ROLLER PICS INSIDE kwilke R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 07-18-2005 02:02 PM
Ofna Pirate 10 F/S F/T *Pics* maseeh R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 11-17-2003 06:12 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:17 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net