Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Do you use ABS??? >

Do you use ABS???

Do you use ABS???

Old 10-30-2006, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by P2gee
I would tend to agree here. I spent some time playing with ABS on a previous radio I had. You have to really play around with the settings to get it right, but when it's right, you can brake and turn at the same time as someone else said. And I'm talking braking HARD and turning. My new radio features ABS with much more adjustability than the radio I had before. I'm going to try it again when I get some time.
At present, I use a 3PKS which has lots of tune-ability for ABS. But coming to think about it, ABS simulates the correct driving style someone really should devlop on their own.

So I guess adjusting the brake just before it locks up and also applying brake at the correct time should yeild the same results.

Coming to think of this in more detail, I suppose it's like driving my Electric with a Brushless Motor. When you apply brake, the wheels do not lock up but simply roll to a hard stop.

So, after evaluating all the post, I think I will just adjust my brake to drag "before lock-up" and adjust my driving style just like my electric. Hopefully, I should improve my lap times even more and extend servo life.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default ABS

I was able to get my ABS adjusted so that I can stand on the brakes without worring about the backend breaking loose even if I am in a turn. This allows me to race into the corners far more aggressively than I have ever been able to. I have tried to get the ABS to work correctly and had some success in the past but nothing like the way it is now. I agree that ABS probably has to have a negative impact on servo life but servo life for me has been measured in years in the past with my previous ABS settings. I am more interested in passing people under braking and running consistent lines that I am about servo life.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Winner's Circle
I was able to get my ABS adjusted so that I can stand on the brakes without worring about the backend breaking loose even if I am in a turn. This allows me to race into the corners far more aggressively than I have ever been able to. I have tried to get the ABS to work correctly and had some success in the past but nothing like the way it is now. I agree that ABS probably has to have a negative impact on servo life but servo life for me has been measured in years in the past with my previous ABS settings. I am more interested in passing people under braking and running consistent lines that I am about servo life.
Do you mind letting us know which radio you use at present and the settings you like?

For me, if ABS is used on my 3PKS it is adjusted to:

ABP: 70
DLY: 5
CYC: 6
TGP: 20
DTY: 0
STM: E40 (ABS activated only when steering is turning)

(ATL: 100)
Old 10-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by V1-RRR-WC
Do you mind letting us know which radio you use at present and the settings you like?

For me, if ABS is used on my 3PKS it is adjusted to:

ABP: 70
DLY: 5
CYC: 6
TGP: 20
DTY: 0
STM: E40 (ABS activated only when steering is turning)

(ATL: 100)
I use a KO Propo EX1. My settings are as follows;
width = 45
position =5 Brake
cycle = 67
delay = 7
duty = pictorial display that shows setting of slightly towards the negative side of neutral.

The other adjustments that need to be set are the THROTTLE TRIM and Brake endpoint. I set my throttle trim to give just a little drag brake to keep the weight on the front tires when I am not braking in order to keep the car turning.

The end point adjustment is also critical because too high a setting caused my car to break loose and too low a setting did not sufficiently slow the car and caused me to have to brake early.

I hope this helps
Old 10-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Tech Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Winner's Circle
....... I am more interested in passing people under braking and running consistent lines that I am about servo life.

Now that's what you call a REAL racer!!
Old 10-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Old 10-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

indeed... racing is all about winning and if the ABS works best for you even at the expense of the servos, then that's the best thing that you should do
Old 10-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Tech Regular

My sentiments exactly.

I already re-tuned the car for ABS.

I am pretty sure what adds to the reduction in life of the servo is if the EPA is not adjusted properly and the servo is under constant strain.

(Just a thought)