Wiki Posts
Search

Custom Hauler Chest

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Custom Hauler Chest

Similar in function to a hauler bag, has anyone made a custom hauler chest out of wood or aluminum? I’m getting kind of tired of trying to find tools/parts in my existing pit boxes and a hauler bag doesn’t seem like it will improve things. I’m thinking of building my own hauler chest for tools and parts and I’m looking for some ideas. Maybe I’ll do some type of inlay using plaster – or some other material (looking for suggestions) i.e. tools / spares at a glance. Below are some ideas in wood.

Maybe something like this already exists for R/C gear and I just haven’t seen it yet. If you’ve built something or bought something, please share some photos.

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2006, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

You can quickly customize your case with some cheap soft but stiff foam. Cut out the desired tool shapes. As for the actual case you can go as cheap as cardboard to as expensive as aluminum luggage! Just an idea.

Edit: Hudy uses this concept with the all in one setup solution.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

stop making r/c harder for yourself rainer!

just pick up a couple of these you know? or something.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Similar in function to a hauler bag, has anyone made a custom hauler chest out of wood or aluminum? I’m getting kind of tired of trying to find tools/parts in my existing pit boxes and a hauler bag doesn’t seem like it will improve things. I’m thinking of building my own hauler chest for tools and parts and I’m looking for some ideas. Maybe I’ll do some type of inlay using plaster – or some other material (looking for suggestions) i.e. tools / spares at a glance. Below are some ideas in wood.

Maybe something like this already exists for R/C gear and I just haven’t seen it yet. If you’ve built something or bought something, please share some photos.

Thanks!

Rainer,

www.teammagic.com.tw/index.jsp check out there formula bag. I use it and it is awesome has areas for all your tools and large drawers. you can get all types of conatiners to hold your stuff then stick it in the drawers.. I got my containers www.harborfreight.com they have small parts organizers...check it out hope this helps.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thank for the suggestions guys.

Surrel: Good idea.

Nigel:I just hate fussing with that elastic. I just really like the easy access as shown above - and it's also easy to put stuff away.

Robert: I've been looking at that bag ever since you mentioned it way back when. At $149 (eBay for 1/8th) it's an inexpensive solution, but I'm not sure all my stuff will fit. Now that I have 3 cars (2 brands), it's going to be even more of a hassle.

I'm really have woodshop-itis. The wheels in my head are already turning.