R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   exhaust coupling: stupid question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/13453-exhaust-coupling-stupid-question.html)

XER987 02-14-2003 10:59 AM

exhaust coupling: stupid question

This is probably a stupid question. How much space needs to be between the header and pipe? I keep blowing, tearing, or ripping the exhaust coupling on my RTR NTC3. Should there be any space at all? Thanks.

TheRagunCajun 02-14-2003 11:28 AM

Yeah, you need a space. Having the 2 pieces touch(metal) can result in radio glitches. The amount of space also effects engine power a little. About 1/8" is good enough. Make sure your pipe is secured to the chassis good. If you want a really tuff coupler, go to a hareware store and get some 1/4" thick hydrolic hose. This stuff will last and last. Sounds like your doing something wrong since your having a bad time with couplers. And If you use hydrolic hose or your tired of zip ties, Get some 1/4" hose claps and screw it down tight.

JUN 02-14-2003 11:46 AM

Yes the gap does make a difference,it's a fine tuning option.Experiment with different measurements like in the following link.

http://www.rbproducts.com/rbww/pipe_...foldlength.htm

DAVCOM 02-14-2003 11:57 AM

THERE IS NO STUPID ?/ ONLY THE ONE THAT WAS NEVER ASKED.
as far a the ? i noticed like the other guy says here that i got little more power out of the maxx by adjusting the coupler from what i had read in some other boards depending on the space you have does somthing to how well you are able to tune the motor ..correct me if i mispoke though .. i dont know everything and am just going by what i have tried..
:)

popsracer 02-14-2003 06:10 PM

exhaust coupling: stupid question

XER987;

You can buy silicone tubing in the Helicopter section and it is much stronger. Make sure your pipe is not moving around too much. This will rip just about any coupling.

sparksy 02-14-2003 08:12 PM

Also ensure you have completely cleaned all oil/fuel residue from the header and pipe where the coupler will be. If its dirty, or worse yet oily, the coupler will slip off all the time. degreaser, metho or motor spray work well.

popsracer 02-15-2003 09:23 AM

exhaust coupling: stupid question;

Guys;

If you have tried EVERYTHING and still are pulling the coupling away. Do a thorough cleaning, assemble the joint, then use a small screwdriver to pry open the joint and put a few drops of CA in at each end. Let dry then install the Zip-Ties.
This really helps keep the coupling on better and if you need to remove it, (why?) just cut it off and replace it.

tekrsq 02-15-2003 12:18 PM

Something else that helps (especially using those flimsy silicone couplers). Place a Phillips head screwdriver in the opening and use it flare the very edge of it slightly. This gives the zip tie a "lip" to catch on if it starts to slide of the pipe or header. Make sure you use a Phillips screwdriver. A flat tip will punch a hole in the pipe.

|BlackLabel| 02-15-2003 08:10 PM

The closer to the pipe is to the header, the more acceleration...but this takes away from top speed
The farther it is the more top speed, but less acceleration.
so, in short tight tracks you would use the first option, in long tracks...the second.

Taken from an article in RC Car Action
Hope this helps a bit :D

Turbo9000 02-15-2003 09:29 PM

Originally posted by |BlackLabel|
The closer to the pipe is to the header, the more acceleration...but this takes away from top speed
The farther it is the more top speed, but less acceleration.
so, in short tight tracks you would use the first option, in long tracks...the second.

Taken from an article in RC Car Action
Hope this helps a bit :D

just dont take them to the extreme...you could cause the engine to run crappily. I ve had that happen....2 much length between header and pipe.