Community
Wiki Posts
Search

sorex tire problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 12:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default sorex tire problems

hi my mate has had problems with a set of sorex tyres 24's 1 tank of fuel and they were in pieces. it wasnt the ground temp because it was bout 5*C has anyone else had problems with these tyres... in a carpark?

thanks for the info, dean
Old 02-14-2003, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Main problem of Sorex 24's (IMHO) is that compound is made for carpet/asphalt on electric touring cars and cannot whitstand the brute force of the actual nitro touring cars.

Particularly, never liked 20's & 24's compounds, when it's time to burn rubber my main choose is 28's, 32's & 36's.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Those 24's was never designed for nitro cars. Way to soft rubber, and especially if you're driving in a parking lot with small stones and other stuff that will shred the tires. Try 32, or on a hot day 36.

/Pontus
Old 02-14-2003, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Invector
Those 24's was never designed for nitro cars. Way to soft rubber, and especially if you're driving in a parking lot with small stones and other stuff that will shred the tires. Try 32, or on a hot day 36.

/Pontus
the sorex 40's are great for the summer heat when you see that the tires are feathering that in general means that they are starting to blister so its time to move up in compound.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Default sorex tire problems

deanspoors;

I find that for even very cold weather, the 36R's grip better and last longer than the other compounds. I use the lower numbered compounds for my electric car only.
Ran the 36's all summer long (in CA, USA) on my Nitro cars and never overheated them once. BTW, I have ALWAYS used HPI "Red" inserts in them.

Last edited by popsracer; 02-16-2003 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-15-2003, 11:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

What insert are you running. Running a tire that soft on a nitro touring car will blister the tire and the rubber compound will break down too fast. try using a 32r.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:41 PM
Tech Master

Ran the 36's all summer long (in CA, USA) on my Nitro cars and never overheated them once. BTW, I have ALWAYS used HPI "Red" inserts in them.
Same thing in Hawaii, but I use blue inserts instead, and sometimes I use 40 R's during the summer, but anyway....

I've had an interesting experience with one of my latest 36 R sets.
From the bag, one tire came out and looked like it had an air bubble burst from the carcass as it was cooling down during the manufacturing process. This left a little (retarded looking) oval in one of my tires. The longer side of the oval was around 7 mm. This disturbed me, but I ran it anyway the next day. I got the usual amount of wear out of it (when it starts to lose a lot of traction), and then on a practice run, 2 runs before I was going to toss the set, the rubber inside that oval chunked away

Anyone have a similar molding problem? I love SOREX, but this was an incident I have never seen with their tires ( and will now make me inspect every tire I buy).

(I would have started a new thread, but I saw this one)
Old 02-17-2003, 11:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

I've gone through many sets of tires from testing different wheel stiffnesses and tire inserts and have never seen anything like you have described.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by James Nguyen
I've gone through many sets of tires from testing different wheel stiffnesses and tire inserts and have never seen anything like you have described.
First time after a year of using these, I don't expect it to happen agian, but there is always a possibility I guess .

It didn't have much of an effect though, so I didn't care too much.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

I once had a yokomo 138G do a tread seperation on the back straight. Luckly the car didn't go out of control. Think it was due to a cut from a hit. Certantly was spectacular.
Never a problem with my Sorex's.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

One time, one of my pals was bench tuning his super nitro and the tire just exploded! . A chunk of the insert knocked his cigarette out of his mouth! (shouldn't be smoking around a nitro vehicle anyway )
That was caused by a cut in the tire, and he was going to change after he bench-tuned the engine.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Im2lazy
One time, one of my pals was bench tuning his super nitro and the tire just exploded! . A chunk of the insert knocked his cigarette out of his mouth! (shouldn't be smoking around a nitro vehicle anyway )
That was caused by a cut in the tire, and he was going to change after he bench-tuned the engine.
LOL, that's the funniest story I've heard yet
Old 02-18-2003, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

When it first popped, I was wrenching on my car, and all I knew was that he was messing with his engine, so I thought his engine exploded (when things explode, your mind doesn't think clearly). So it was a little scary.

It would have been even more funny if his cigarette was still in his mouth but all shredded and his face was covered with soot...but life isn't a looney tune ...
Old 02-19-2003, 05:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Here in Brazil we run Sorex 36R on our nitro cars and on the very hot days the 40R, and I haven't heard many complains about them. Some people prefer Take Off tires (32 or 37), but I think both brands are very good.

Sorex tires seem to take a little more laps to heat up, but after then they grip very well. Take Off tires heat up faster, but on very hot days they sometimes loose grip after some time.

Regarding inserts, I personally prefer harder inserts (like HPI blue).
Old 02-20-2003, 09:27 AM
Tech Regular

here in michigan we run a sorex spec tire class and all you had to do was run any compound sorex tire with hip red insert. we all stayed on 36's until track temp got to 118deg then the 40's provide more grip and dont get loose or greese up at the 4 minute mark. They hang very well and wear great. it took me a long time to go to the harder compounds because you would think that a softer tire would have more grip but wear longer! but what i figure is that the heat that we put into the tires makse the oils rise to the surface of the tire and thats where you loose grip. but we needed to run a harder insert because we had some tire wear issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.