R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-20-2006, 08:04 AM   #1
Tech Adept
Default Radio Frequency Question

OK, so i just bought my first RC car and am currently waiting on it to arrive. Ive seen several posts about 'those idiots who got on my frequeny and wrecked my car...'

well, i dont want to be one of those idiots.

can someone run down the basics regarding frequency and how to avoid being 'the idiot?'

schufflerbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:26 AM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Welcome

Generally all tracks will have a frequency board with all of the surface channels listed. Next to each channel there will be a clothes pin with that particular frequency listed on it. If the clip is not there someone is using that frequency and in order to not be an "idiot" you will not turn on your radio until YOU have the clip. When you or who ever has the clip are done using it, the clip is to be returned to the frequency board. If there is no frequency board you should find out what channels everyone is using to avoid conflicts. DSM Spektrum, turn it on and go.
MugenDrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:30 AM   #3
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

R/C Cars & Trucks have AM and FM frequencies they are allowed to run on.
AM includes channels 1-6
FM includes channels 61-90
There is also DSM that uses 2.4ghz frequency and you don't have to worry about channels.

If you are racing or are around another person using an R/C vehicle you need to make sure that your frequency is not in use before turnning on the radio.

Typically race tracks have radio tubes that match your frequency...you take a tube and leave a close pin with your name on it. If the clip is gone, your frequency is in use. NEVER EVER turn your radio on in the pits with out checking to ensure the frequency is not in use.

To help protect your car in case someone else "jumps" on your frequency, you can buy a FAILSAFE. Dynamite & Futaba make them just to name a few. If your receiver looses signal or you get a radio "hit" the failsafe can be programed to stop your car and idle instead of run wide open or veer suddenly into a pole or traffice.

flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:43 AM   #4
Tech Adept

thanks a lot, fellas.

had my first day at the track and it went smoothly and without incident.

thanks for all the advice, it helps a lot.

my friend put a throttle return spring on my car, instead of the failsafe option.

i've decided to get the spektrum, just so i dont have to worry about this crap.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:58 AM   #5
Tech Elite

I have some old RC Crystals laying around that are AM and they are between 61 and 90.

The channels 1-6 are on the 27mhz band, channels 61-90 are on 75mhz.

The KO radios frequencies are actually half of what the sticker on the crystal says, so if you have a KO radio and the crystal says "12", it is actually channel 6 here in the US. It would be channel 12 overseas.

What kind of radio did you buy ? Spektrum is not available for all radios. I have the Spektrum HRS system and it works great.

Official software of: ROAR Nationals, IIC, Cactus Classic, Indoor Champs, Reedy Race and Trackside Hobbies in Brookfield, WI!
RC Scoring Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:11 AM   #6
Tech Elite

To elaborate on some of the 'frequency' statements...
AM & FM are two different ways to transmit the signal & doesn't have anything to do with what band or channel is being used. 27 mghz - band is available in both AM & FM. Channels 1-6 in US. If you have a 27 band radio with a channel above 6, it was NOT intended for U.S. distribution! Furthermore, channels 1-6 would be off if the system is a non-U.S. system. KO has U.S. versions as well as Asian versions. Ebay & Hong Kong stores have brought this conflict to us... Any radio imported through normal channels of distribution, should be on fcc approved frequencies.
AM & FM both have 75 band channels available. There is a mis-conception that, if you are on FM, you can run at the same time as someone running AM on the same channel. NOT TRUE! Channel is a channel & they will interfere with each other.
That being said... go 2.4 ghz! Spektrum, Nomadio, Futaba out now. Airtronics due out soon (might be out now, but don't think so).
By the way, throttle return spring guards against runaways due to power loss but NOT interference! Fail-safe is built in to the Spektrum & sends servos to position they were in when the rx is bound to tx. Remember to re-bind system after linkages & trims are adjusted for you car!
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
Tech Adept

yah, its a team magic G4 RTR and it did come from Hong Kong.

In my opinion this whole AM FM thing is kind of silly, which is why i decided to go with the spektrum GX3 (i think thats what its called) with the S3000 receiver. (again, fairly certain thats what it is.)

I just dont see the point in risking my car when you can get these controllers for around $120USD used and not have to worry about it anymore.

on top of that, the G4 has the crystals underneath the chassis, so any tiny rock or crack on the surface could break the crystal and send poor little RC flying into a wall/curb/child.

i discovered this the hard way already.