R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-11-2003, 05:13 PM   #1
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Understanding Diffs, Suspension, Tires...

If I have a low bite track, I want to use a conventional diff (come in kit)? If I have a high bite track I want to use LSD/Solid?

(What I understand is that foam tire kits use front one ways and solid axles/LSD.)

What are the benefits of a solid axle, diff, ball diff, etc.?

If I feel that the front end pushes too much, I soften it? If the rear spins around, soften?

Sway bars come in where? Tires I understand in shore.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 07:49 PM   #2
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Tire information can be found here www.nitrorc.com .
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:07 PM   #3
Tech Master

The solid axle gives more direct drive which increases acceleration coming out of corners and from starting postion.

The front one-way gives you the benefit of having a solid axle under acceleration but when you release the throttle you get the bite into the corner provided by a diff.

But for tuning you just made the most common mistake for push on the front end.

If the front is pushing the answer id not always to soften the front end more but instead harden the rear and vice versa if the rear is loose you may sometimes have to harden the front.

It takes time to learn the actual times when to do this but you will soon realise when.

Sway bars come into play to keep the car firmly stuck to the track mainly going through corners. They effectively keep the inside wheel on the ground when in unloads so the anti-roll bar tries to lift the outside wheel keeping them both on the ground.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote