Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Tire Truer Suggestions >

Tire Truer Suggestions

Tire Truer Suggestions

Old 09-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Tire Truer Suggestions

So now that I am getting into 200mm onroad I realize that I had better get a tire truer of some sort. Already spend a butt load of cash on everything else and I am wondering if there is a good tire truer out there for around 100 buck-a-roos? Anyone had any good experiences with such an animal. Does this 100 dollar animal even exist or is that just a myth?

Old 09-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Your best bet would be a manual tire truer by OFNA it is about 60-65. That is the only one that suits your budget.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have been down the tyre truer path & wasted a shitload of money. I went from a manual thing like the ofna then to a 3 racing auto truer, I now have the Hudy Auto truer & wish I had of bit the bullet from the start & gone straight for the Hudy. The other good thing with the Hudy is if you want to get out of it later they sell for nearly new price second hand.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by soc123_au
I have been down the tyre truer path & wasted a shitload of money. I went from a manual thing like the ofna then to a 3 racing auto truer, I now have the Hudy Auto truer & wish I had of bit the bullet from the start & gone straight for the Hudy. The other good thing with the Hudy is if you want to get out of it later they sell for nearly new price second hand.

What he said. Good tools are always the right way to go.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I am not even sure what is available for $100 but from my experience you wont be happy with anything less than a hudy. If your budget doesn't allow for the fancy automatic version just go with their manual, you may look like the poor guy using it but it is still better than ALL the auto units in its price range.

Mark
Old 09-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I also have a lower end integy manual tire truer and I never use it because the cut and quality of the cut doesnt compare to a Hudy.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The nice thing about a good tire truer (Hudy) is it never gets outdated. You don't have to replace it to keep up with everyone else.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well I ended up going with this

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKTN1&P=7

I hope is atleast gets the job done. It will do for now till I can afford something better...

Thanks for the input all
Old 09-25-2006, 06:34 PM
Tech Addict

The one manual has the same motor in it as the ofna automatic; the large motor is very strong. I personally have Hudy auto but I suggested the best for you money. I can’t comment on the one that you picked up because I never used it before nor know anyone that owns one.

Just know that hands down HUDY is the best out. But we must all take into consideration a persons budget and I would never suggest to you what you know is the best when I know you have a budget to live by. If someone had curbed me when I started buying I would have spent a lot less and eventually picked up the right stuff but when affordable to me. Guidance is the key to price control.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BIGTACO

I hope is atleast gets the job done. It will do for now till I can afford something better...

Thanks for the input all
That is similar to what I started with. It will do the job, but remember when you go to upgrade wait until you can go to the top shelf. You can modify the unit you are getting to take the Hudy carbide cutter which will do a much better job than the broken hacksaw blade they come with.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BIGTACO

Thanks for the input all
BigTaco, I use this on as well. Initially I was disappointed with it, but I eventually learned the tricks to make it work and it does the job well. Yah, it's not a hudy and may take a bit more time, but for appx $100 it does fine. $500 hudy or $100 integy, your lap times will not change. I'd rather spend the extra $400 on and engines or hop ups or beer. You just have to make sure that you give yourself plenty of time to cut your tires because the combination of their motor and belt system is weak, which is why it's called a light truer. It doesn't work when you've got to shave of 5-6mm of new tires 10 minutes prior to the race but to shave 1-2 mm is fine. The more expensive truers are for crunch time or emergency truing. Just make sure you plan ahead and you'll be alright.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

A better bet is the integy auto for $130. Then get the hudy bit. It may throw your readings off. But I just use a digital caliper on my tires , set it to a final setting and run whatever tires I need at that same setting so they are true to each other.

Want a hudy cut , get the hudy bit. Then it comes down to motor power and quality , solidness. Thats impossible to get without getting a hudy.

Otherwise a few laps around the track and your tires will clean themselves. One thing to watch out for though is faulty integy units. I went through 3 of them before I got one that worked ok. All the units seem to have some dragging when cutting (slow , fast , slow fast...etc). The hudys im guessing go across the tire at the same speed the entire time , which does give a more uniform cut no matter the bit.

When I can I will be upgrading to a hudy. But until then Ill survive with the auto.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Try the OFNA Semi Automatic #20002 for only $59.95 it works really good, it is comparable to the $350.00+ Hudy semi-automatic truer for fraction of the cost if you race at Revelation Jeffrey Lin uses it at the track all the time.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
Try the OFNA Semi Automatic #20002 for only $59.95 it works really good, it is comparable to the $350.00+ Hudy semi-automatic truer for fraction of the cost if you race at Revelation Jeffrey Lin uses it at the track all the time.

Have one and loved it. you can't beat the price, $59.00.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Tech Addict

Thats what I was tryingto tell him and just add a file to that and bammm.....
Not much spent and good results, for the money you cant beat it and the quality is just fine. It is really and unbeatable deal when you look at some of the other truers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.