Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI RS4 3SS or NTC-3??? (new)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 07:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Default HPI RS4 3SS or NTC-3??? (new)

Ok, a little over a year ago I had a RS4 2 Pro. I used it to storm around the parkinglot and just have fun. I sold it after having it for about 8mo and putting every hopup available on it and then my buddy with some box stock car smoked me in top end (I had spent way too much money on that thing to be smoked by a car with no hopups).

Now, two years after I sold my RS4 I want another. Since I know HPI I was obviously drawn to the new RS4 3SS, but this drive shaft system doesn't tickle my fancy. Also, I can't find hardly any hopups for it.

THEN I was reading about the NTC-3, seems like a nice car...lots of hopups for it and seems to be pretty fast. But what's the difference in the side exhaust one and the rear exhaust one?

I'm more interested in parkinglot racing, but I want to go to the track and have some real fun on occasion (once a week). Which car will benifit me more in the long run? RS4 3SS, NTC-3 Side, or NTC-3 Rear?
Old 02-10-2003, 08:20 AM
Tech Regular

well it boils down to this; do you always feel the need to upgrade? or can you leave a car stock?

the nitro tc3 already comes with things like ball diffs, front and rear cvds, better 2 speed, and a pivot ball suspension. first of all, many of these features arent' offered as an upgrade for an SS.. second of all, it would cost you hundreds of dollars to even TRY to get the SS to the level of a NTC3 which you never will.

the ntc3 is about $160 more depending on the engine you decide to buy. if this is for parking lot bashing, i'd suggest the side exhaust kit as it allows you to use a pullstart. rear exhaust kits/engines require you to use a starter box.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:31 AM
Tech Rookie

First off, I can never leave well enough alone...moding is the best part of this hobby (in my eyes). Second, I could care less about pull start/bump box debate (I kind of figured this would be a major difference), what I really want to know is...in the long run, which style of engine is going to make me more power. Side exhaust or rear exhaust? If the difference is nill, I'm heading down to buy a NTC-3 Side exhaust now, if it's a substantial increase...the rear exhaust will be on my bench shortly.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:29 AM
Tech Chat Moderator

Get the ntc3. I have a nrs4-2 and i wish id of bought a "race car". I mean my rs4 was great to learn with but it is very lacking. The nrs4-3 is better but still lacks. NTC3 IMO is the better buy even though it might cost more.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I had both. If you are just going to bash and like to upgrade, the hpi might be for you esp if you like eye candy. If you are into racing, in my eyes, its a gimmie. Get the ntc3. You won't regret it. Oh, my ss was pretty much stock. Only mods were the racing clutch, brake gearing and springs. The car doesn't handle that badly at slower speeds.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:09 PM
Tech Regular

ok well if you're debating between a side exhaust and a rear exhaust....
almost all 1+ hp engine are rear exhaust. so if yo'ure gonna get a new powerful engine soon, mine as well as get the rear exhaust kit now and save yourself the money down the road.

i use a starter box for my side exhaust CV-R. the advantages and uses of a starter box are so plentyful. for example, my starter box will start my engine whether it wants to or not. my ofna box comes with a powerpanel with a connected glow plug starter, so there's 1 less thing to charge. and because i'm using a 12v battery in my starter box, i can charge my rx pack & tx pack using my superbrain and alligator clips. so if you're in a pinch, just charge your 12v battery and deal with the rx and tx pack later.

hope this helped. BTW the starter box i have is the Ofna 1/10 with accesories. it has 2 540 motors and comes with a 12v battery and powerpanel/glow starter. it's $85 at tower.