Community
Wiki Posts
Search

anyone here mix thier own fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 05:04 PM
Tech Adept

Default anyone here mix thier own fuel?

hey guys,g otta question, i just picked up a gallon of nitromethane today ($33) and 5 gallons of methanol ($20) and 2 pints of Klotz BeNOL ($14) anyone here mix their fuel? if so, what are some good ratios you have done, i am thinking 10% total oil content, all castor oil and no synthetic, think it will work well?
Old 08-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

apollo:

I mix ny own fuel and i use only castor also and i use 8% oil and never had a problem,my engines are always lubricated and really clean,y personally would recommend using VP RC3 castor intead of the Klotz oilbut if you allready have it use ,i hope this helps,let me know if you need more help..
Old 08-28-2006, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

what kind of engines do you run 8% in? i figured 8% was a little low even for all castor since i have been told by a guy who professionally makes fuel that white lightning (8% castor oil content) should have some more oil added to it for good bearing life

i will be running mine in a modified OS 18 cv-r and the temps right now are around 270 at 16% oil content (on a muggy day) my email is [email protected] and i would appreciate any help from you, thanks
Old 08-28-2006, 10:55 PM
Tech Regular

For a .12, we have engines that last about 2 years

8% caster oil
4% synthetic
16% nitro
rest methanol
Old 08-29-2006, 06:27 AM
Tech Addict

Apollo:

I run Mega Picco .12 and .21 engines and never had a problem like i told you,alot has to do with tunning and head clearence..

8% castor oil (VP RACING RC3)
30% nitro (VP RACING NITRO)
Old 08-29-2006, 06:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

if you can find pressed castor oil, it is the best. it is actually the seeds put on a large press and the oil is then filtered to get rid of the residue seeds and bottled. i blended my own fuel once with 8% pressed castor oil and it ran great. hope this helps. also, you may be aware of this but since it sounds like this is your first time i will just make some rookie comments, make your fuel in set volumes. what i mean is either one gallon or one liter, that way you know the exact quantities to put in. also, the most imortant of all, make sure that you limit the exposure of the nitro and methanal to air. they suck in the humidity in the air, thus adding water to them. so you want to open and close them as little as possible and close the caps asap. it is even beneficial to bottle your fuel in liters instead of gallons. think about it, a gallon of fuel is open and closed many times before it is finally used, thus exposing it to air many times. a liter in turn, since its a much smaller quantity, is opened and closed less, thus exposing it to air less. this is more critical in areas of high humidity.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:01 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by joemugen
if you can find pressed castor oil, it is the best. it is actually the seeds put on a large press and the oil is then filtered to get rid of the residue seeds and bottled. i blended my own fuel once with 8% pressed castor oil and it ran great. hope this helps. also, you may be aware of this but since it sounds like this is your first time i will just make some rookie comments, make your fuel in set volumes. what i mean is either one gallon or one liter, that way you know the exact quantities to put in. also, the most imortant of all, make sure that you limit the exposure of the nitro and methanal to air. they suck in the humidity in the air, thus adding water to them. so you want to open and close them as little as possible and close the caps asap. it is even beneficial to bottle your fuel in liters instead of gallons. think about it, a gallon of fuel is open and closed many times before it is finally used, thus exposing it to air many times. a liter in turn, since its a much smaller quantity, is opened and closed less, thus exposing it to air less. this is more critical in areas of high humidity.
Easy Joe! Don't tell them everything you know.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

lol...
Old 08-29-2006, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MBlackketter
Easy Joe! Don't tell them everything you know.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by joemugen
if you can find pressed castor oil, it is the best. it is actually the seeds put on a large press and the oil is then filtered to get rid of the residue seeds and bottled.
Is this the same as de-gumed caster ? If it is you can buy this from Byron's Fuel.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Where can one find nitro methane and Ethanol? What shops carry them.
Thanks.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

THis is a hot thread....

Roniel dont give out your secrets.. It might be dangerous...HEHE

Joe you mix fuel!
Old 08-29-2006, 12:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rangulo
THis is a hot thread....

Roniel dont give out your secrets.. It might be dangerous...HEHE

Joe you mix fuel!
Roniel/Raffy Just tell them to use papa smurf's Fuel and it will run just fine
Old 08-29-2006, 03:47 PM
Tech Adept

thanks for the help guys, im going to mix up mini batches first in my fuel bottle since it is conveniently measured out in CC's, i think i will start with 10% castor oil and then if it isnt running too hot i will drop it a percent or two, and yes i will try my best to limit nitro and methanol exposure to air, i already thought of this, so when i open it up, i will be very quick, also i will not mix fuels when it is very humid, methanol will soak up water like no tomorrow

and for wh oever wanted to kno where to find nitromethane and methanol, check local motorcycle shops and oil companies (i got mine from a place called hamilton oil co.)

also, a fwe drops of food coloring (water based from what i know) shouldnt hurt anything should it, i want my fuel to be blue so i can see it in the tank

and about the castor oil, i did not know that VP Racing made castor oil, maybe next time i will try that out, right now i am using Klotz Benol which should suffice at the moment
thanks again
Sean
Old 08-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Tech Addict

"PAPA SMURF" thats funny ,it brings back memories ,lol lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.