R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-28-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default SH 21 Pro On Road Engine, Turbo

Does anyone have any experience with this engine?

If so, what were your thoughts on it's tuning ability and performance? Thanks.

llamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:31 AM   #2
Tech Master
Send a message via AIM to 007kel Send a message via Yahoo to 007kel

I have one. A bunch of us SV Speedway locals bought some, in the hopes of running a spec race. Hobby People had them on sale for $100.00, we couldn't pass up an onroad engine at the price.

However, a couple of our engines didn't fair well. The inside bearing went bad on them. But most of us have our engines running well. They break in fast (4-5 tanks). Out here in Sun Valley (L.A. area) where we broke in our SH engines, the stock turbo plug (SH 8) seems to be too cold. I ended up using a Nova 6 for break in. This engine likes to run hot here, 235 degrees F was the average. Don't think treat this engine will temp wise like a Nova, RB, or Ninja. It likes to run hot.

This engine can't beat any of the $300.00 and up engines. It gets beat on the straight away at SV. But on the inside of the track, it does very well. We found that putting in the conical header (RB mid header for me) really opens up the power on it. Overall, it's a good practice engine.
KO PROPO HELIOS...yeah that's what I have left after leaving RC.
Instagram: 7kel
007kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:33 AM   #3
Tech Master

Price equals performance? you can't beat it. I do not have a problem with the performance however i feel it is too brittle for me and i take care of my stuff. I have seen 007kel and RRRoy run this engine at SV. they can run with those high end engines out there as a matter of fact these guys are the ones to beat. if you get a hold of one just break it in right and do not abuse it. it's good engine..
RCRjuanabbe is offline   Reply With Quote