Tuning problems with a 12TR anybody???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tuning problems with a 12TR anybody???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 12:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Tuning problems with a 12TR anybody???

How's it going,

I recently bought a .12 TR from O.S. I got it because of it's great reviews and awesome power potential. I have gotton it broken in and it's done nothing but dissapoint me from the start. It has no power. I drove it tonight in about 40 degree weather and I couldn't get rid of a hellacios bog. A friends novarossi was doing the same exact thing. it sounded like it was running out of fuel. When I richened it, it never got any better. I went through about a 3 turn range from VERY rich, to borderline lean. The engine never got better no matter what I did.

I'm not a beginner either. I have a Picco P-12 and a Picco P-15 and tune them with no problems. I also run an O.S. .15rx with no problems. Not to mention a multitude of CV's and SS's. I'm out of ideas here and need some input. Here's the vitals

Engine being run in a HPI NRS4-2
Racer 2 tank (primerless)
O.S. Header and O.S. T-1030 pipe
Have tried a Mccoy mc-59 and an os R5
engine running around 230 degrees (when running)
Traxxas 20%fuel ( I was out of my regular 20% monster fuel)

I've inspected for fuel induction system problems such as air or dirt and have found no reasons for concern. The Humidity was 89% in 41 degree weather so the air quality was pretty poor to say the least. I think this could be my biggest problem for tonight.
However the overall power seems to be down. I'm wondering if my expectations were a bit too high after getting used to the power of a Picco. Either one of my Picco cars (P-12 or P-15) with the same gearing would suck the paint off the TR with little effort. Maybe I De-graded to the TR after all?????
If someone can tell me otherwise with a fair amount of certainty I'm all ears.... but for now, this TR sucks.
Anyone having tuning problems from Their TR??
Old 01-31-2003, 01:51 AM
Tech Elite

I have never run a picco so I cannot compare. But my TR has got nice low end power, pulls from a stop strong and reasonable midrange. Has a very poor top end when you compare it to any novarossi rear exhaust motor. Motor tunes fine, same as a novarossi.

I can tell you a R5 is NOT the plug to run in this thing. Try an OS 8 or a A5.

Also is the fuel fresh?

Humidity this high makes engines run badly mostly, low power and hot, at least in my experiences.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well I thought that the R5 is what was reccomended by O.S.
As for the fuel, it's only about a month old at the oldest. None of my fuel gets used after the 3 month mark. I'm thinkin that the high humidity was my biggest problem yesterday so I'm not too terribly worried about it. However, if it doesn't rain here today, I'll try it again....
Thanks for the help and I'll be trying the #8 plug just to be sure.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Try an extra head shim.... worked a treat for mine....

Just dont expect it to rev like a nova.... you got to gear up and let the bottom end do most of the work
Old 01-31-2003, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

It comes with an A5 plug. If you're running the stock head, it'll run a little hot when running good. I've been in the 260-270 range. Seems to be really sensitive on the needle setting. Slight change makes a big difference. What are your needle settings? Check to see if the insulator on the carb is not cracked. BTW, once broken in and run a little, I've seen them rev with the Novas.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:39 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You didn't break the engine in in those 40 degree temps did you? From what I understand, thats not a great idea.

I've heard nothing but good things about this engine.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

OS TR uses A5 plug. With A5 plug, 1/8 turn on either needle can make the engine's performance night and day difference. If you are having tuning problem try A8 plug, it's easier to get it tune with A8.

Also I find the factory recommend/default needle setting for low end is too lend on my engine. Is anyone else finding this on their TR?
Old 01-31-2003, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Hey boner, what was the recommended factory settings? I check a new motor and it was 2 1/2 on the top and 4 1/2 on the bottom.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I used A5 glow plug. For the top neddle setting, i always do it 2 1/2 from closed and adjust it from that position, usually i do it by 1/8 turn. For low 3/4 from factory setting. I've had 2 gallons and still getting good punch at low end, this engine is fun to learn with but i had to sold it...x12 is my next engine
Old 01-31-2003, 03:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It comes with an A5 plug. If you're running the stock head, it'll run a little hot when running good. I've been in the 260-270 range
I had mine running between 240-270 depends on the weather, less or over that, nothing but troubles.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey, Thanks for all the input. I didn't break the engine in on a really cold night. It was about 50 - 55 degrees to the best of my recollection. The A5 plug that came with it burned out shortly after starting it on the 4th break in tank, so I switched to the R5 plug, which FYI- the R5 is reccomended by OS, I called them and found out for sure. The plug supplied is good, but they said that the R5 would last longer and perform better. I'm not exactly sure of the current carb settings because I made a ton of adjustments last night, but I started at the manufacturer's specs.

I'm going to drive for a little while and see how it does today. I'll see what happens. The current temp in anniston is 52 degrees and the humidity is at 57%.Hopefulley it does better.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:37 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

RSkoncepts: In the TR manual, the recommended starting settings are 2 turns out on the top needle. I looked through the manual, but found no reccomended default for the lowend needle. I guess you would have to call O.S. for that info.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks Darkseid. I'd like to try the R5 plug next. Even colder than the A5.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Check the Clutch
Old 01-31-2003, 09:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It's 2 1/2 turn from flash for slide (10J) carb or 1/2 turn from flash on rotary carb. All this information can be find on page 17 of the OS TR manual.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.