R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Indoor Nitro. Is this possible??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/127060-indoor-nitro-possible.html)

CrazyRonny 08-26-2006 02:16 PM

Indoor Nitro. Is this possible???

I will like to know if racing onroad nitro is something possible? What about nitro smoke?

Is there already some existing place or some who already try?

Your help and input will be apreciate.

Thanks

Crazyronny

Luke W 08-26-2006 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyRonny
I will like to know if racing onroad nitro is something possible? What about nitro smoke?

Is there already some existing place or some who already try?

Your help and input will be apreciate.

Thanks

Crazyronny

Ronny...I think you're crazy!:lol: LOL

drfritz 08-26-2006 03:23 PM

If the building is built around getting the smoke out of the building, then yes. Air flow is the key, you would need a good exhaust system and a way to bring in the frash air,with out freezing your butt of in the winter time...

Roger 08-26-2006 03:41 PM

I've raced in a indoor track that allowed nitro sedans. This was about 6 years ago and the track was located in Sacramento, California. The track was indoor carpet and it was layed down in a old rollar skating arena. The track had an arcade, pool tables, snack bar, and lockers to keep your stuff in. There was plenty of pit space with room to spare. Ventilation was by a exaust system and 4 large folding doors that opened up during the race. The nitro cars were hooked up on the carpet. I know that this place went out of business, but I was glad that i got a chance to race indoor carpet nitro sedan :nod: .

drfritz 08-26-2006 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Roger
I've raced in a indoor track that allowed nitro sedans. This was about 6 years ago and the track was located in Sacramento, California. The track was indoor carpet and it was layed down in a old rollar skating arena. The track had an arcade, pool tables, snack bar, and lockers to keep your stuff in. There was plenty of pit space with room to spare. Ventilation was by a exaust system and 4 large folding doors that opened up during the race. The nitro cars were hooked up on the carpet. I know that this place went out of business, but I was glad that i got a chance to race indoor carpet nitro sedan :nod: .

California indoor track= not freezing your butt off, we had a indoor dirt track that ran nitro on Saturday nights, you had to dress really harm on those cold winter nights.

Genius 08-26-2006 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here in the Phillipines we have an indoor race track called JP raceway. Its an old warehouse and it has numerous exhaust fans in the wall. Till a year ago it was an off road track and earlier this year it was turned into an on road track. Its a great track especially since we have tropical weather and its always raining this time of year. So rain or shine, thunderstorms or typhoons the race goes on. I attached some old pictures of when it was still an off road track. Ill try to get some pictures of its current state as an on road track.

sohlman 08-26-2006 05:32 PM

There used to be a indoor onroad nitro track in CT, Hobby Chamber. The ventilation sucked and YES, we froze in the winter. I'm sure it took several years of my life but it was fun while lasted. It went to carpet and actually held the 2004 or 05 carpet nationals. Now it's out of biz. Seems like a trend amongst indoor nitro tracks. Maybe indoor offroad would be better.

llamont 08-26-2006 10:07 PM

Although it is an offroad track, there is a race track in Springfield, Ohio that runs nitro (between four walls). Ventilation is the key along with a decent heating system for those cold winter days and nights.

Loren

Joe Chaplow 08-27-2006 06:03 AM

i think an indoor track in a warehouse would work good. also, everyone keeps talking about how the winter sucks because how cold it is. well, noone in the cold areas races in the winter anyhow, so being cold is much better than not racing at all.

mistercrash 08-27-2006 08:10 AM

I think it is possible with some good ventilation but the main element would be high ceilings, just like in genius' pic. The higher the better to give a place for the fumes to build up as far away from the people on the ground as possible. A nitro club up here tried to run nitro cars in a big indoor Go Kart facility equipped with a killer ventilation system. But the ceilings were only around 14 or 15 feet high and the fumes became unbearable. Even though the ventilation system was very powerfull and worked well for the Go Kart fumes, it still did not exhaust the nitro fumes fast enough. If the ceilings had been twice as high, there would have been more room for the fumes to accumulate up and away from the people, acting as a cushion to give the ventilation system enough time to exhaust.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

YR4Dude 08-27-2006 10:18 AM

Anyone give any thoughts to the noise level in an indoor nitro facility? If I were to go to one, I would definitely be bringing ear plugs. Nitro is already loud outdoors but it is even louder indoors with the sound bouncing off all the walls and ceiling.

drfritz 08-27-2006 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Anyone give any thoughts to the noise level in an indoor nitro facility? If I were to go to one, I would definitely be bringing ear plugs. Nitro is already loud outdoors but it is even louder indoors with the sound bouncing off all the walls and ceiling.

WHAT!!!!!! :nod: :nod:

BimmerDriver 08-27-2006 11:36 AM

There's an indoor off-road track in PA, Bumps & Jumps, located between Harrisburg and York off of I-83. It's temporarily closed due to township building problems, the owner forgot to get building permits.

Nice place, the pits, spectator area and hobby shop are separated from the track area by a wall with large windows. There is an overhead door along the back stretch with a bank of 16 wall fans that are controlled by the race director. Parma nitro scent additive is required. It's a little cool in the winter in the track area, but much warmer than outside... and no wind. Check out the pics

Bumps & Jumps

charlesd 08-27-2006 02:45 PM

Ronald,

The track at st-polycarpe, Quebec is interior. 1/8 buggy off-road though.

If you want more info just let me know at the track on sept 3rd. ( Yes a double race !!!!!!!! ) :nod:

CrazyRonny 08-27-2006 05:05 PM

Hi guy,

Thanks for all your reply :D .

It look to be something possible since some already exist, the key seem to be in the ventilation system and high ceiling. I like the idea of isolated the pit and spectator from the track for a fume free environment.

I heard that nitro fume is heavier than kart fume and tend more to stay on the ground, so the fan should be put in a lower position to exhaust the fume... is this thrue?

Keep the info and link coming it's very interesting

CrazyRonny