Wiki Posts
Search

Turbo Head Temp VS. Regular Head Temp

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 06:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Turbo Head Temp VS. Regular Head Temp

I had an OS 12TR with a regular head and raced this engine for over a year in a NTC3 with temps in the 215 to 235 range. I now have an Orion Wasp (not the new crf) with a turbo head and have it tuned the same way with plenty of smoke coming out of the pipe. This engine want's to run at 250-265. Is this normal? I have checked it with several temp guns to make sure of the accuracy. Do Turbo heads run hot??????
Old 08-18-2006, 06:39 AM
Tech Adept

what plug are you running?
Old 08-18-2006, 06:44 AM
Tech Adept

Sorry. OS P7 Med. Not sure of the Part #but I know it is the medium plug.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:53 AM
Tech Adept

the p7 should not give you that high of temps, you may want to retune your lsn vs hsn again. making your lsn richer and leaning your hsn. Since I do not know much about orion, it may just be the opposite of what I just said. It could be that you need a leaner lsn and richer hsn. I remember my os tr had unrealistic settings compared to the novarossi based engines. I had lean lsn and lean hsn to get the engine to run with lots of power throughout the band and still had good temps under 240. It usually came off the straights at around 238 running a p6 plug with 30% nitro. Remember that maybe some engines just like to come alive at 250 to 270, depends on your clutch settings and driving style. If all fails you could retard your timing by using the p8 plug and see what the temps come in at with your current settings.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Large variation from engine to engine. Not related to the plug type. Your current temps are not out of line for a ntc3. Tc in general, have high temps.
Ntc3 & LD3 are worse due to backwards engine installation (manifold upwind of head).
Old 08-18-2006, 07:01 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you for your help. I was just curious if one head design ran hotter then the other or if is in my settings? Thanks again.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

I don't believe that they are any worse in a ntc3 just because the engine faces backwards. I always turned the cooling head to where the slot was facing the windshield cutout. I got the same temps no matter if I ran an os, mugen or sts engine in my ntc3. People in my area get pretty decent temps within 220 to 240 no matter what engine or tc they are running.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

You could be right, but I don't think so. The exhaust manifold is very hot and the exhaust port area of the engine, is the hottest area on or near the engine. Placing that upwind of the cooling head will reduce the cooling heads' abillity to shed heat.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:24 AM
Tech Adept

You could also be correct Duneland, but as I run the mugen....I can take temps in three different areas and get 3 different answers but two of them are closely the same. The only area that reads the least amount of heat is at the exhaust header (manafold). The area above the header port and the top of the glow plug reads just near the same.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Check the way you installed that head. be advise that some(most) of them has a flow through holes that line up with the airflow from front to back.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

The reason why engines tend to run hotter in a NTC3 vs most other cars is as follows:

In the AE car the air that enters the through the body blows over the cooling head which heats that air. THEN that heated air is taken into the carburetor. This is because of the direction the engine faces in regards to the direction the car travels. The engine is mounted facing backwards in a NTC3 and sideways in most other cars.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

my .02 engines never really got hot for me in my NTC3 back in the day. and plugs dont affect the engine temp drastically. (cold plug = cold temp. hot plug = hot temp.)
Old 08-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Its comparing apples and oranges in this case of OS VS Team Orion motor.

But, In most cases the turbo head is going to offer more cooling capacity due to the fact it has more direct contact with the button head.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Its comparing apples and oranges in this case of OS VS Team Orion motor.

But, In most cases the turbo head is going to offer more cooling capacity due to the fact it has more direct contact with the button head.

apples and oranges fsho.