Wiki Posts
Search

Help with OS .12TZ install in NTC3

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Help with OS .12TZ install in NTC3

First let me say I'm a vetran of R/C racing of over 15 years, but new to nitro. I have a Factory Team TC3 that I'm trying to put and OS 12TZ 3 port in. The problem I have is with the clutch assembly. I have all the assoc. parts flywheel, shoes, clutch bell, ect. The motor did not come with the brass collet that goes behind the flywheel, every collet I found seems to be to long, I can't even get the clutch bell even with the end of the crank to put the retainer screw in? After some sanding on the large end of the collet to shorten it up I was able to barley get the clutch bell on, and now that I have apparentely it is not tightening up on the crank shaft and just spins even with the nut very tight. I also discovered that the threads on the crankshaft are too tall and will not let the inner bearing of the clutch bell slide far enough on the crank shaft, I ground off the first couple of thread so the bearing would sit down far enough to get the clutch bell flush with the end of the crank. I guess what I'm after is a list of part #'s I need to make this motor work in my NTC3, please help.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm not sure about the 12tz but it may be the same as the 12tr. You have to install 2 or 3 small washers( The AE part number is in the manual) on the end of the crank shaft. I'm sure of the part numbers for the these washers but if you look at your manual and follow the instructions for the 12tr this should fix your problem. If you run the os 12tr it has the same problem. The clutch bell extends beyond the crankshaft.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Tech Initiate

If you need the part numbers for the washers just PM me and I will look them up. What these small washers do is allow you to extend the length of the crankshaft they fit inside the inner race of the outer clutchbell bearing
Old 08-18-2006, 03:38 AM
Tech Master

So the clutch bell is supposed to stick out past the end of the crankshaft?
Old 08-18-2006, 06:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

polesitter61 I did se a special shim kit for the clutch bell for the NTC3. I ordered it a couple of weeks ago and it has been on B/O. I did see that it is coming on todays order. Give me a call at the shop later.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:47 AM
Tech Adept

Yes, it is suppose to stick out past the end of the shaft by no greater than .25mm. Usually the associated shims #2321 (two) are suppose to fit between the end of the screw and the flanged bearing. Some engines use one shim and others will take no shims. I had one engine that required 3 shims at the end. You could get the manual online if you do not have one with your kit. just visit team associated web site and pilot through to find the online manual.

http://www.rc10.com/shusting/Catalog...hub_onroad.htm
Old 08-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Tech Rookie

I am ready to order an OS TZ 3 port for my NTC3 car, and need advice on which version of the engine to get.
Is the barrel carb or slide carb better?
What type of crankshaft is best?
What other parts are needed?
Will the stock flywheel that comes on the AE.15 fit on the OS .12?

I want this to be ROAR legal.
Thanks
Old 08-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

For the NTC3 I got the slide carb and the SG crankshaft, you should be able to use the original flywheel. I'll let you know when I get my install all sorted out