R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Problem on starting my new engine. Please help! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/12548-problem-starting-my-new-engine-please-help.html)

Ducati998 01-27-2003 07:57 PM

Problem on starting my new engine. Please help!

Hi everyone! I need help badly! I just got the sirio engine and the ntc3 starter box for it. I'm having trouble starting the engine. The fitting of the piston and the sleeve was so tight I can barely turn it with my hand, which mean that my starter box can't either. I tried to heat it up with a hair dryer, it got up to about 140 degree. But still won't work, my flywheel even got loose. My question is can anyone please show or tell me how to start my engine? I did post on the ntc3 forum but only got one reply. Hopefully I could get more help by making a new thread. Any help is very apperciate, thank in advance.:p

AMGRacer 01-27-2003 08:48 PM

1. Charge your staterbox batteries
2. Check alignment of starterwheel with flywheel make sure it does not rub chassis.
3. Losen the glowplug a little, 1/4 turn or so
4. Drop a bit of afterrun oil in thru the gloplug hole
5. Failing all the above get a better startbox. I have never had a motor I could not turn over on mine and it has two small 540 sized motors in it. The NTC3 box looks to have a huge motor in it.

patelladragger 01-27-2003 09:55 PM

the sirio is very tight when new. Get some pliers and use them to pull the flywheel back to Bottom of the stroke before you bump it on the box.

After heating it up you will probably have to leave the glo plug very loose intially.

The NTC3 is just one of the harder cars to bump start so make double certain your alignment is spot on of flywheel to starter box wheel.

Darkseid 01-29-2003 01:00 PM

I think your problem is probably the first thing Patella listed. Make sure that the piston is at the bottom of its stroke before you try to start it.

That Associated starter box is a monster, it should start anything you put on it!:nod:

Ducati998 01-29-2003 09:55 PM

Hey thanx for all the help, I give it a try when the weather get better over here. Thanx!

Ducati998 01-30-2003 04:12 PM

I finally got my engine to start! It took me a long time, I later realizes that my battery for the starter box was not full charge, after finishing charging the battery up it fire right up, I couldn't be any happier then I'am now. Once again thanx to you guys for the the help!!!:sweat:

AMGRacer 01-30-2003 04:50 PM

Originally posted by Ducati998
I finally got my engine to start! It took me a long time, I later realizes that my battery for the starter box was not full charge, after finishing charging the battery up it fire right up, I couldn't be any happier then I'am now. Once again thanx to you guys for the the help!!!:sweat:
*bow* *bow*

It was the old use a crappy charger and partially charge the starterbox batteries which dont have enuff punch problem huh. I used to have the same thing, but now I bought a Eagle racing CDC to monitor my batteries much better.

patelladragger 01-30-2003 05:00 PM

Originally posted by AMGRacer
*bow* *bow*

It was the old use a crappy charger and partially charge the starterbox batteries which dont have enuff punch problem huh. I used to have the same thing, but now I bought a Eagle racing CDC to monitor my batteries much better.

AMG you da man!!!!!!!!! :D

AMGRacer 01-30-2003 05:11 PM

Originally posted by patelladragger
AMG you da man!!!!!!!!! :D
Thanks dude :D So many nitro guys get cheap chargers and nuke their relatively expensive batteries. A friend of mine used an Eagle Racing pocket charger to charge his cells. DO NOT get this charger. It overheated his 2400 startbox cells so badly the heatshrink completely peeled off them. He is $50 in the hole now :(