Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advantages of on-road

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Advantages of on-road

I have been racing off road for about a year now and i want to get into onroad. So what are some advantages and differences?
Old 08-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

speed, traction, excitment of going fast, hot chicks....
Old 08-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Relatively a lot cleaner for both the car and your own body parts.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

speed, traction, excitment of going fast, hot chicks....
Hot Chicks.... Where are you racing??? I need to go there!
Old 08-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

what would you guys recomend for a begginner
Old 08-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if u ask me I will tell you NTC3 Plus no questions asked, but its a straight up beginner car irs RTR and all.

if you want to go kit, I say a R40 is good, its maybe by hpi so plastic is durable, its cheaper then most other sedans and can be raced too, but you will need a engine, body, radio and servos
Old 08-03-2006, 04:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My CD3 was a great beginners car. I picked it up RTR and within 2 days I had it running doughnuts in the driveway. It's relatively inexpensive and I now race at the local track. Kinda slow, but it's my fault. Easy to tune and easy to work on. The hardest thing is finding parts, but Nitrohouse seems to keep a lot in stock.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default onroad

Not only do you and your car stay cleaner(if thats an issue???), I think the drivers tend to drive cleaner too. The racing seems to be a little closer and theirs more respect to the other racers equipment. OffRoad Buggies and Truck are more durable making for slightly less responsible drivers..my .02
Old 08-03-2006, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I think that off road the tires last longer. I go through two full sets of foams a race day in on road. Three rounds of qualifing takes up one set and then another set for the thirty minute mains. You can sometimes use the main set for practice on the next race day.

I need to find that track that has the hot chicks.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Cleaner and faster.......(a lot faster if you are going for 1/8th on road).
Old 08-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Tech Champion

Here is what I think in regards to operating budget to run and maintain RC cars at competitive level :

From cheapest to most expensive:
1/10 nitro on road
1/10 electric on road
1/8 nitro on road ( I think 1/8 buggy off road is about here too ).

I have 1/8 buggy 100% brand new ( Ofna Hyper8 ) and honestly.... everytime I want to race it, I always end up in on road track

Btw, welcome to on road cars
Old 08-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

The tire issue depends on what you are compairing. For instance, mod off-road buggy will require at least one new set of rear tires per race day (unless you are on a 'gumby' indoor track). Stock truck has low demand on tires. Tires are expensive for 1/8 buggies, might get several race days at one track but need a new set every race day at another.
1/10 tc foams have come down in price. typically under $15 a pair all mounted & ready for action.
The cost of racing on v.s. off is pretty close.
On-road is way faster but lacks the jumps & bumps (mostly). More importance on engine.
Tire life is quite good at some on-road tracks. Toledo has very high grip & ecellent tire life.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Tech Regular

One of the big things for me in regards to on road is the car shifts gears. When your car gets on the the straight, shifts, and blurs the back ground for the rest of the straightaway, then you will know one of the big attractions of on road. Also, and this is not necessarily true everywhere, for the same entry fee, you usually get more race time at on road than off road. Most off road A mains are usually 15- 20 minutes while on road is usuually 30- 45 minutes.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

why i like onroad (i race sedan)....

1. foam tires are most widely used for nitro onroad...

that means no tire gluing (which i hate), and easier selection of tires (soft to firm compound).... with offroad, you have to select which tire (style and compound, yes they have soft to firm also) and foam combo to use, wet or dry track combo, etc.

2. car looks good and more realistically proportional. i don't see trucks out there (like gas r/c trucks) with really big tires sticking all the way outside of the body.

3. agile and fast!
Old 08-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Talking

2PG- Gotta agree 100% on the gear shift thing. The 1st time I threw down my used NTC3 on the street in front of the house it accelerated hard then shifted into 2nd..schwiiing!!! I was hooked.
The foams can be an issue, but like D'Land said, they have been coming down in price. Since he owns a Hobby Shop, he hunts down good deals and passes them on to us locals...sorry for the shameless plug. Every discipline in RC has a certain component that cost a little extra. It pretty much evens out somewhere

Hey Howard- Still have a Sedan?
Jo G. Please don't bash GasTruck.j/k It's my favorite class to run!! And it prolly IS the cheapest to run week after week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.