Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Problems breaking in NovaRossi P5X - Help! >

Problems breaking in NovaRossi P5X - Help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problems breaking in NovaRossi P5X - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 06:39 AM
Tech Adept

Default Problems breaking in NovaRossi P5X - Help!

I just got a new NovaRossi P5X and installed it into my buggy and I am trying to break it in. The problem I am having is that the new motor has so much pinch and compression my starter box cannot turn it enough times to get it to fire off. When the piston gets to the top of the cylinder where all the pinch is at my starter box just spins against the flywheel or stops turning because it does not have the power to spin the motor passed that point.

I have put some after run oil in the new motor to try and help it. The only way I can get the starter box to spin the motor is to take the glow plug out. Then it will spin the motor quite well. So I took my 12 volt battery charger (the same one I use to charge my real car's battery) turned it up to 10amps and hooked it to my starter box and try to see if that would give it the power it needs to spin the new P5X over and it still can't turn it over unless the glow plug is out of it.

In between attempts I have to take a pair of pliars and spin the motor past the pinch point or else the starter box can't even budge it even with the plug out.

Any one else been in this situation before? I have a brand new motor I can't even break in because I can't get it to turn over enough to start it.

What should I do now?
Old 07-24-2006, 06:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Try to heat the engine head with a heat gun or any hair dryer before you start your engine on the starterbox. 'coz heat will make the metal expand, this will loosen the very tight compression of your new engine.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Tech Adept

And don't push the car all the way on to the rubber wheel at once. Give the starter box some time to get up to speed. Also, it's best to set the engine just past TDC, so the starter box has to spin the flywheel almost an entire turn before it reaches the problem spot at TDC again....

This way I have been able to start several very tight novarossi and max power engines using my serpent powerstart (14.4 volts, 2x 540 motor).
Old 07-24-2006, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HookaMega
I just got a new NovaRossi P5X and installed it into my buggy and I am trying to break it in. The problem I am having is that the new motor has so much pinch and compression my starter box cannot turn it enough times to get it to fire off. When the piston gets to the top of the cylinder where all the pinch is at my starter box just spins against the flywheel or stops turning because it does not have the power to spin the motor passed that point.

I have put some after run oil in the new motor to try and help it. The only way I can get the starter box to spin the motor is to take the glow plug out. Then it will spin the motor quite well. So I took my 12 volt battery charger (the same one I use to charge my real car's battery) turned it up to 10amps and hooked it to my starter box and try to see if that would give it the power it needs to spin the new P5X over and it still can't turn it over unless the glow plug is out of it.

In between attempts I have to take a pair of pliars and spin the motor past the pinch point or else the starter box can't even budge it even with the plug out.

Any one else been in this situation before? I have a brand new motor I can't even break in because I can't get it to turn over enough to start it.

What should I do now?
Heat the engine with a heat gun like described before, and also loosen the glow plug 1 to 1 1/2 turns while starting the engine. Then once it starts, tighten the glow plug up with the engine running. You will probably have to do this for the first 2-3 tanks of fuel. Then once the pinch goes away a little you shuld be able to start it regularly.

It is common to have to use this method on competition engines during break in, especially 21's.

Good luck!

BK