Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Richey Modified Motors

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 01:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi guys,

I've been following this thread for some time. A month ago I bought a brand new RB X12 5 port engine for my HPI car and the old FE is now on the shelf collecting dust. I'm new to RC but want to learn more and get good at it. I know that the FE isn't really the greatest powerplant in the world but maybe I will learn something for engine tuning from it. Here in Bulgaria we haven't got public engine tuners and the guys that are from some time in RC aren't talking about what they do to their engines. I would really appreciate some basic tuning princibles some directions where to start from.

Thanks in advance
P.S. A friend of mine is going to chrome it and give it some more life and compression.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Speed De
Hi guys,

I've been following this thread for some time. A month ago I bought a brand new RB X12 5 port engine for my HPI car and the old FE is now on the shelf collecting dust. I'm new to RC but want to learn more and get good at it. I know that the FE isn't really the greatest powerplant in the world but maybe I will learn something for engine tuning from it. Here in Bulgaria we haven't got public engine tuners and the guys that are from some time in RC aren't talking about what they do to their engines. I would really appreciate some basic tuning princibles some directions where to start from.

Thanks in advance
P.S. A friend of mine is going to chrome it and give it some more life and compression.
You got PM, check it out
Old 06-17-2003, 11:03 PM
Tech Regular

I have never used O'Donnell plugs before so how does the ODO77 compare to the MC-59 for how hot it is, on track performance, and how long it lasts? Thanks!
Old 06-18-2003, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: O'DONNELL

Originally posted by YBSLOW
The O'donnel 77 is almost indestructable, I have run them at 300 degrees with no issues at all. I highly recommend them.
[/B]
I think they are more comparible to a MC9 which has been the plug of choice for a RTU or if you are running on a track with a long straight with hangin RPM'S
Old 06-20-2003, 08:07 PM
Tech Regular

YBSLOW - Thanks!

Dennis,

Which top of the line race engine do you feel has the best fuel efficiency? Do you think that that engine could be made more efficient w/o taking away it's power? If the power increased without giving up any efficiency that wouldn't hurt but I don't want to lose any if much of it. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2003, 09:53 PM
Tech Regular

YBSLOW, are there any tracks in Az that run the 1/8th scale nitro cars?

thanks
Old 06-23-2003, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by MaverickRacing
YBSLOW, are there any tracks in Az that run the 1/8th scale nitro cars?

thanks
Nope, unfortunately LA or Vegas are about 5 or 6 hours depending on which one you choose and both have really nice tracks. La has really tuff competition and a lot of entrees and well Vegas is Vegas and a pretty cool track with a huge drivers stand.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Default Need HP!

Dennis call me brutha.........
Old 06-23-2003, 08:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by YBSLOW
Nope, unfortunately LA or Vegas are about 5 or 6 hours depending on which one you choose and both have really nice tracks. La has really tuff competition and a lot of entrees and well Vegas is Vegas and a pretty cool track with a huge drivers stand.
Thats not too bad...If could, please give me more info on these cars...The cost of them, what brand to buy, about the racetracks, basically anything that would help me get into the 1/8th scale stuff. This could be the next type of car I buy

Either PM me or email me [email protected] and thanks for any help.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Does anyone know why we have a lot of build up ( I guess carbone) on the top of the pistons and heads. I am assuming it is comming from synthetic oil , couse I have never seen this kind of build up from castor oil. We are using O'Donnel racing fuel with 12 % blend of castor and synthetic oils in it. This build up comming out easy even with soft rug (don't need to use sand paper). It is building very fast, let's say 10 tanks and it is there. Any ideas?
Old 06-24-2003, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by MaverickRacing
Thats not too bad...If could, please give me more info on these cars...The cost of them, what brand to buy, about the racetracks, basically anything that would help me get into the 1/8th scale stuff. This could be the next type of car I buy

Either PM me or email me [email protected] and thanks for any help.
Maverick - there is a pretty good group of 1/8th drivers posting to the Oval and Larger Scales forum. They have a 1/8th scale thread going there (although you might need a magnifier to read it. . .heh heh, bad pre-coffee joke!)
Old 06-26-2003, 12:59 PM
Tech Adept

Top Gun,
Odonnel seems to be worse about varnish build-up than some of the other fuels, you just have to clean the piston and sleeve more if you don't like the varnish.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by ronin8451
Top Gun,
Odonnel seems to be worse about varnish build-up than some of the other fuels, you just have to clean the piston and sleeve more if you don't like the varnish.
Thank you very much for advice. No more O'Donnel. Which one is the best from this point of view?
Old 06-26-2003, 09:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Since we are talking about fuel... I have been thinking about swutchin from Trinity fuel to Mugen Seike fuel. I have been told that the mugen fuel is one of the best ones around, and while im happy with the trinity I want to give the mugen a try. Any pros or cons?

Thanks,

Steven Muller
MPP
Old 06-26-2003, 10:40 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by Top Gun 777
Thank you very much for advice. No more O'Donnel. Which one is the best from this point of view?
I've never seen varnish on a motor running Trinity fuel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.