Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Info on RB engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 10:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Info on RB engine

Ok so im going to buy a rb 5 port turbo! how good is this? what other engines does it beat anyone else have this engine? thanx, Dean
Old 01-26-2003, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

In the right car with the right driver it is capable of beating any engine but at the same time in the wrong car with an inexperienced driver it is capable of getting beat by all other engines.

But in saying that it is probably one of the better engines on the market.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by modellor
In the right car with the right driver it is capable of beating any engine but at the same time in the wrong car with an inexperienced driver it is capable of getting beat by all other engines.

But in saying that it is probably one of the better engines on the market.
Spot on...!!!! i've been running a RB 3port turbo on a medium track, i am able to drive better (faster if not the same pace) than Nova's S5, RB 5 port, JP 3 port...
what most important is the driving techiques...e.g. identify the ideal trajectory of the track will help u drive smoother and faster rather than punching full throttle all the times and brake abruptly...
RBs is one of the top three racing engine in today's market.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

get the rody mod.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:32 AM
Tech Elite

Um!

Just one word of caution. Bolting a 5 port turbo on your car isn't the ticket for a hot ride on your track the Sunday.

Rule of thumb: As much powerful is a engine, the more that needs about tunning your car and engine. To exploit full potential of your engine needs a steady hand doing carb setup and a exhaust capable of pulling 100% of your engine (not to say about your hands....). Hint: Drill your exhaust stinger up to 5mm or 5.1mm if you find the drill to get more from your pipe (attention to the sound pressure limit: 82 dB maximum).

Maybe sometimes you can be faster with a lesser powerful engine who is more easy to tune. 1700-315R is a blast. Got one and yesterday exhausted my stock of belts for my MTX3 But friends got some 'spanking session' specially at the backstraight. Those 5 ports are very poweful and plenty of zoom zoom...
Old 01-27-2003, 01:45 PM
Tech Chat Moderator

I dont own a x12, but i do own a rb c12 turbo(3 port). I have to say the engine is strong. I amazed me at first. When comparing it to my sts mt12 i find the rb had more rpms. I think so anyways. My sts is a nice mill. My rb was ran with a cvec pipe and it used to 4 stroke at max rpms when leaned out a tad. It's a real shame that i over heated if for about 1.5 gallons. It was my fault, since i didnt know how to tune correctly. IMO, i think the x12 would be capable in just about any race with the right driver and set up.

Course-r, what is with the sound level or pressure limit you are refering to? I also would like to know how you are suppose to measure such thing. I been in 2 for over 2 years and know alot but i never heard about that. Well, if i did, it went in one ear and out the other.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

rajun cajun the five port rb is a great engine
Old 01-29-2003, 12:56 PM
Tech Chat Moderator

I believe you. I would want one myself. The rody tuned " version" is like $425. I'd have trouble drinve the regular 5 port turbo anyways. But i just have a nrs4-2, so no need for that kind of power since i dont race.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by TheRagunCajun
Course-r, what is with the sound level or pressure limit you are refering to? I also would like to know how you are suppose to measure such thing. I been in 2 for over 2 years and know alot but i never heard about that. Well, if i did, it went in one ear and out the other.
Sound pressure limit (Spl) is how loud is your car on given conditions. Is a preliminary check on some races and know that some clubs enforce a sound limit.

Is measured with a sonometer, is like a Digital Multimeter but with a microphone installed and measure on deciBels (dB). Watch out, Spl measured on decibels isn't a linear function, increasing one dB of sound level means that you need to double the pressure level, so 82dB is a quite high level (you're on the unconfortability zone from some time and starts to be annoying).