R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Which car? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/12064-car.html)

phildee 01-17-2003 07:57 PM

Which car?

Hi

Ive been looking for a nitro r/c car for myself lately as Ive played around with a friends GV and loved it. Ive narrowed it down to 2 choices.

The first is a CEN TR4http://www.cenracing.com/cars/tr4/tr4.html
Now this one seems liek it would be better as it has 2 speed standard and a few other things I liked like pre-painted body.

And the second was a Kyosho VOneShttp://www.kyosho.com/cars/kyoc0463.html .

Keeping in mind that Parts for the CEN are closer to home as the Kyosho would be ordered online. The CEN is about AUD$75 extra

I will prolly just be mucking round on the road and car parks for a start but will want to join the a club when I get a bit better.

Any thoughts, opinions or info on the cars would be great thanx.

chippy 01-17-2003 08:27 PM

go with the V1S
I no with the v1s you wont need that many parts as these cars are strong

squizzytaylor 01-17-2003 10:43 PM

choices

Definately go the v-one-s, excellent durability, infinately upgradable! pay the extra for a two-speed. When I bought my v-one-s I purchased about $150.00 worth of spare parts and thats what they still are, spare parts still in packets!
Remember...... the memories of low quality last far longer than the price of high quality.

gt

:tire: :tire: :tire: :tire:

phildee 01-17-2003 11:16 PM

Ok from what ive read around the forums and stuff I think ill go with the VOneS.

I have a few questions about the car.

Do I need diff oil straight away or is the grease ok for a start?

People mention this engine gets hot, would you recomend getting a better heatsink for it?

Is there anything else I should get straight away? I mite leave things liek the 2 speed till a little later on, seeing as this will be my first car altho I have played with others quite a bit.

Boomer 01-17-2003 11:27 PM

While getting parts for the Kyosho may be a bit harder, see if your local Hobby shop to stock them for you.

The Kyosho features:
  • Bearings (Cen doesn't)
  • SEALED Diffs (Cen doesn't)
  • Better Camber and Toe adjustments
  • vented brake
  • 3MM chassis (Cen is thinner)
  • Sealed receiver compartment (this is very nice!)
  • better tires, stock

Basically, with the Kyosho, you've got a car that can be RACED.

The Cen is actually more expensive with fewer real features.

It's also a wierd car - it uses a single belt that drives two gearboxes that drive the diffs. Sound wierd? It's not real efficient. The Kyosho uses three belts, which is pretty much the standard setup for most Nitro cars. It's tried and true, proven and reliable.

The Cen engine is also lower power. It puts out less than 1hp. Quite a few .12's make well over 1hp, and the Cen is .16. The Kyosho .15 makes quite a bit more hp than does the Cen, and it's got a bigger heat sink (the head) which means that it will run cooler and more reliably.

I haven't run the new Cen, but I ran the old GX-1, fully upgraded. When I moved up to a Yokomo and now the Associated, and ran with guys running Kyoshos, Mugens and Serpents, I really apreciated the difference between the Cen and the rest. Cen is a serious step lower than all the rest.

nitroman 01-18-2003 05:03 PM

v1s all the way

XIII 01-18-2003 09:49 PM

Everyone, just a simple question. I dont know if V1 is a kit or not, i guess it is because it doesnt come with radio and servo. So Why are we comparing a race kit and a RTR here? 2 car serve 2 different purpose.

If you "ever" plan on serious racing it, then v1 is your choice,no doubt about that, but prepare to spend money on upgrades because you wont be able to stop/control yourself. :) But if you only plan running it for fun not race, then CEN is your choice because its easy for you to get parts and performance isnt a issue for you in this case.

CEN use 2 belts according to the site. Also i recommend you to stay with the stock motor doesnt matter which car because most engine out there that put out more than 1hp will be close to/more than $100 dont matter its .12 or .16 or .18. So just pick a car and stay with it to save some money if you are not a serious racer.

According to my experience, Bigger cooling head isnt necessary better. It all depend on the motor. If the engine tend to run hot, then bigger cooling head will help. But if engine tend to run cold, a bigger cooling head will make it too cold and lose performance, so basucally worse.

Boomer 01-19-2003 01:25 AM

I think the Kyosho is an "almost ready to run" car - meaning everything but the radio, receiver and servos.

If the feature list were the same, I would agree with you XIII. In fact, if the Cen even came with BEARINGS, I might agree with you, everything else is bonus.

But the Cen comes with bushings all the way 'round and bearings last longer and are just, well, better.

You're right, this one has two belts. It's been a while since I ran my old GX1. . .

But, I have to disagree with you on the motors. The Kyosho motors have been out and run for a long time. Cen's motors haven't for as long, at least around here. The ones that I had (.12, WC.16 and .16) all have run hot, which is bad for any motor. In any case, bigger head almost always means better. You can lean out a motor to get hotter temp, but cooler (say 150 instead of 200) with a slightly cooler plug is much better than hotter. . .

XIII 01-19-2003 01:41 AM

So is ARR assembled in rtr form w/o radio or in kit form in pieces? I dont see many ARR these days.

I dont know anything about cen or kyosho motor. I am talking about general here. Of course a big head will help a hot motor cooling down( also provide insurance for futher lean out) but i am pretty sure a big head will make a cool motor run too cool so it will not be in the perfect temp. in order to produce most power. It does provide safety but will not produce as much power as a small head on a same cool engine. I think thats how it goes. Basically motor produce the most power at the temp. right before it over-heat, isnt it?

By the way, i think all the new cen car have bearing now. It doesnt show on the tr4 on the web so i am not sure about that one but all the 4wd ff have full bearing now as shown on the website.

vulso 01-20-2003 01:54 AM

From what I understand all V-one-S's are in kit form. They are high quality and very durable and have been out a long time. They are the entry level nitro kit from Kyosho, even though they several race spec options and upgrades. I bought a cheaper RTR kit instead of a V-one-S and regretted it. I was kind of intimidated by building it, However, I ended up taking the RTR apart so many times for things that broke and needed to be fixed I didn't even need the instuctions! The GS-15R motor is reliable and keeps it's tune very well, you also upgrade it to larger heatsink later.
Also, if that CEN car has open diffs stay away from it because they are a maintenance nightmare and will cause you endless problems.
Hope it helps you decide, Later.

squizzytaylor 01-20-2003 02:25 AM

Kyosho

OK first of all Kyosho do an RTR in the Pure Ten Alpha GP 4WD. This is probably a fair comparison to the CEN and considerably cheaper.
The V-one-S is built around the same suspension/bulkheads and steering set-up as the v-one-r/v-one-rr. This is still cheaper than the CEN or around the same price when you purchase the two-speed. Some of the BASIC features include;

Full pivot ball suspension
Spacer adjustable caster
low cg tank
enclosed radio box
droop and rebound screws

And is upgradable to v-one-r specs.

gt

:tire: :tire: :tire: :tire:

snoopy 01-20-2003 04:12 AM

If you intend on racing at all....Go with the Kyosho otherwise you'll regret it.

JordanC 01-20-2003 04:23 AM

Hey there I'm from the Dandenong club in Melbourne..... If you want to get into some form of racing the VoneS is one of the best elementary cars you can buy. We have a VORTEC stock class for interclub challenge which means you cant do any mods, and the racing cost stays very low.

phildee 01-20-2003 08:02 PM

Well i've definately decided to go with the VOneS seems everyone can only say good things about it, been around to a few hobby shops in Melbourne found one to be really helpful and a decent price, now just have to wait a little bit so I can buy it, thanks for all your help guys.

chippy 01-21-2003 01:05 AM

Well glad to be off assistance hope you have fun with the car and weather you choose just to muck around with the car or race Iam sure you will be happy with the V1S..
And if you are looking for the car or spares try here have found this shop to be vary reliable and great prices plus stocks all the parts for Kyosho cars..

http://shopping.rcmodel.com.hk/eshopping/default.htm