Wiki Posts
Search

Best Radios and servos

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 12:05 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Corse-R
InitialD:

Followed the thread, but none has given me instructions about this (have three 297FZ receivers here that I cannot use) how to disable the HR mode response and needed to buy the new 301F receivers.

I shitted myself and sobbed on what I was thinking when I decided to change from my trusty Mars to Mars-R. Blue led is so intense that hurts your eyes and distracts everyone at the rostrum (put a dab of Serpent putty) and no need for the 25 model memory going from a 10 model memory.
Corse-R, I'm afraid I won't be of much help. I don't own that radio to begin with. Just saw it with my own eyes that the Mars-R was used with the "old receiver" that came with the "older" EX 1 Mars (don't know the exact receiver model number).

I would not know if the high response mode needs to be switched off or it can automatically detect to use or not to use high response mode.
Old 01-16-2003, 04:56 AM
Tech Adept

Default Futaba 3pk or Ko Propo Mars-R

Thanks for all the replies. I never even heard of KO Propo. So which do you guys suggest the KO or that new Futaba. And also where Would i buy the KO Mars R on the web
Old 01-16-2003, 08:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

i also have mars r and love it plan to use it for a long time

servos ko futaba or jr seem to all be good

hitec fail somewhat often luckily mine are still under warranty

i have found ko at bruckner hobbies search for them online

if you have large hands the mars r may not be the right radio for you but unless your hands are pretty large it is the best radio ive ever held

250 price range includes mars r and m8 futabas new radio is more expensive but possibly the best of all in adjustabiltiy
Old 01-16-2003, 08:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

corse-r are you saying that you have tried to use the old recievers and they didnt work?

i was hoping they would work i was planning on getting a novak xxl for a spare reciever to save a little cash

guess i should play it safe and get another 301F

anyone using ko stuff ever have any radio problems?

i had a set of crystals go bad but i think it was a one time deal but i figured id ask

i noticed at the track last summer a few really old looking ko radios so i figured that they lasted a long time
Old 01-16-2003, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

i'm not saying the Mars isn't a good radio but you really don't see it around as much as Futaba, if you need an extra receiver or something it alot easier to get Futaba stuff, also I just got the new 3PK and it the easiest Controller to Program I have ever seen. it also comes with rechargable controller pack, the piece that drops the steering wheel down, and a charger for the controller/receiver packs. Not a bad deal.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by jason102276
corse-r are you saying that you have tried to use the old recievers and they didnt work?

i was hoping they would work i was planning on getting a novak xxl for a spare reciever to save a little cash

guess i should play it safe and get another 301F

anyone using ko stuff ever have any radio problems?

i had a set of crystals go bad but i think it was a one time deal but i figured id ask

i noticed at the track last summer a few really old looking ko radios so i figured that they lasted a long time
Some people reported that KO FZ297 receivers work with KO Mars-R systems. Fact: Mine FZ297 FM 40Mhz receivers don't work with Mars-R. Probably with other bands work, but I cannot test.

I got another receiver 301F receivers in case that the main fail someday.

'Vintage' KO Radios have something on their own. A track buddy nowadays (2003) uses the same KO EX1 Radio that bought on 1992 (That's a very loooong life for that radio). More rugged, less power drain (don't have bells and whistles) much more sturdy and reliable, only 'two' problems, KO Propo don't repair that system if someday fails, works on AM.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Jason:

If my previous experience with KO can serve you as an example I'm a loyal customer of them since 14 years and plan to continue.

On 14 years only had two problems, one radio fall from the rostrum and seld disintegrated on 1000 parts and 4 months ago my unique 301F receiver, misteriously went bad. KO UK changed me for a new without charge some weeks after (Meanwhile I needed to bought a Backup one, now I have two).
Old 01-16-2003, 10:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

thats very good to hear the mars r is my first ko radio

the crystal thing is the only problem ive had

i have just never had a crystal fail before

maybe i was due

have you ever had a crystal become loose?

do you think if i bent the prongs somehow
Old 01-16-2003, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by jason102276
thats very good to hear the mars r is my first ko radio

the crystal thing is the only problem ive had

i have just never had a crystal fail before

maybe i was due

have you ever had a crystal become loose?

do you think if i bent the prongs somehow
Everytime there's a real possibility of having a lemon... Never had a Xtal failure, but change it from time to time, specially on Nitro or Off-Road (vibrations are the worst enemy of frequency cristals) no matter if are KO, Futaba or other...

If you have got a great smack in your car, possibly affect to the cristal, check and if fails, discard them (say them goodbye with a longnose plyer or a 'precission instrument' called hammer )
Old 01-16-2003, 12:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

i dont think it was hit i was just breaking engine in while in a parkinglot

i was running my mtx-3 and i thought it was isolated from vibration by the 2 grommets that support the reciever mount

i was right near a train station at the time i wonder if the high voltage lines overhead could have made an effect i do remember the train coming past near the time of failure

as far as crystals coming out i wrapped a rubber band around it

i may eventually put a reciever box onto the car thus eliminating the possibility like on my 1/8 buggy
Old 01-16-2003, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Default Futaba 3PK follow up...

To follow up on the questions raised with HRS, Digital servos, and receivers. I looked this up and here's the deal:

THe 3PK has 3 modes: HRS, PCM, and FM. This is set on the radio, so you will be able to use any kind of FM receiver. For PCM mode, you will need the R113JE(?) PCM receiver - the one that comes with the 3PJS. To run in HRS mode, you will need both the R203HF receiver that comes with the 3PK AND digital servos, since as per Futaba, Digital servos are the only kind capable of responding fast enough to the HRS signal. Otherwise, I would think that you must run in FM mode (the R203HF does not have a PCM mode). This was the only bit of info I couldnn't confirm. The other possibility would be that the receiver would run in HRS mode, but the servos would not respond as fast as expected. Whew!
Old 01-16-2003, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Thumbs up

Go with the 3PK!! I love MINE!!

TurnNBurn,
You are correct sir.....

HRS, PCM and PPM (FM) are your choices for the new 3PK.