R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Mtx 3 foams (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/11822-mtx-3-foams.html)

Jonathan 01-12-2003 01:00 PM

Mtx 3 foams

How would you guys rate these new rims in terms of its durability. I have never been impressed with any of the GRP wheels, but these new rims look promising. I think the 1mm offset is not an issues. ( thread the pillow balls in a little further in) Another bonus w/ these new GRPs is the larger selection of compounds. I currently use Nitro Shoes, mainly 40's frt & re. There have been times where I could of gone softer, but Jaco only offers 35's, which are too soft. BTW, I have seen 37 Nitro Shoes... in Baker's big ass box of tires..:eek: So...let me know how you guys like these new cool looking rims. Thanks

HEYALIGNMENTGUY 01-12-2003 09:22 PM

Dude you found time to get on the computer ;)

I have your $$

Call me 925-287-9800

Jonathan 01-12-2003 10:58 PM

That's the number for McDonald's.... I hung up when they asked to take my order.. :ha:

Corse-R 01-13-2003 03:26 AM

Re: Mtx 3 foams

Originally posted by Jonathan
How would you guys rate these new rims in terms of its durability. I have never been impressed with any of the GRP wheels, but these new rims look promising.

Ever hated those 'impulse' rims :flaming: (weak and prone to break or distort if you brush a board, but are the only available on a larger selection of compounds. Plan to stick with Enneti tyres they have a limited compound list, but armed with a tyre durometer you can find 37's and 42's from their stock hardness (35, 40 & 45).

There have been times where I could of gone softer, but Jaco only offers 35's, which are too soft. BTW, I have seen 37 Nitro Shoes... in Baker's big ass box of tires..:eek: So...
I bet that those 37's were choosen from several pairs of 40's and marked as 37.

InitialD 01-13-2003 08:04 AM

Re: Re: Mtx 3 foams

Originally posted by Corse-R
Ever hated those 'impulse' rims :flaming: (weak and prone to break or distort if you brush a board, but are the only available on a larger selection of compounds. Plan to stick with Enneti tyres they have a limited compound list, but armed with a tyre durometer you can find 37's and 42's from their stock hardness (35, 40 & 45).
I never have problems with the rims break or distort. In any case, I find them 10 times better than the rims I use for rubber tires.

Seriously, aren't Enneti tires the same as those "Impulse" rims (they are Ellegi BTW)? The rims look exactly the same and from what I know, the foams are also from the same manufacturer GRP.

Jonathan 01-13-2003 08:43 AM

Course-R

I've never like any of the GRP deriv. type rims either. No matter what anyone says, they bend too easily. The dish style is the only one that's some what decent, but ugly. But these new style rims (not impulse rims ) appear to be a revised and improve design. All I asking is for someone who owns the car to verify that. Btw, I would not doubt Barry Durameters all his foams first. FWIW, all Jaco's are stamped from the same sheet of rubber. Diff. areas of the sheet yeilds different shore.

Initial D

Are you referring to the Mtx3 rims being 10 times better?? than what type of rims for rubber ?? BTW...Enetties comes in two diff. styles...one of which exactly like the Impulse rims and Ulfras, and the other with rims like the old TRC rims (extremely tough).

Thanks everyone. But keep it coming cuz I still haven't found my answer. I'm not trying to be pesky...but I am about to order 150 pairs of these babies and I don't want to make the wrong call. Thanks

Corse-R 01-13-2003 08:45 AM

Re: Re: Re: Mtx 3 foams

Originally posted by InitialD
Seriously, aren't Enneti tires the same as those "Impulse" rims (they are Ellegi BTW)? The rims look exactly the same and from what I know, the foams are also from the same manufacturer GRP.
InitialD:

Enneti 'impulse type' rim is quite different to the GRP 'impulse type' rim. Enneti ones ends the spoke on the rim in 'straight' angle, but GRP ends the spoke on a recessed style (and weaker). This evening I'll post a photo of the two rims.

Saying that foam that carries GRP and Enneti is the same is like saying that a chevy and a pontiac are the same (all two are foams). First, GRP uses Japanese type foams on their tyres (f/r) and Enneti uses only Japanese foam compounds on front, the rear foam type is European type.

Using enneti foams from some time to now and previously used Yokomo, Microsystems and GRP foams, now I don't want to return to GRP brands. Aren't a great known but their foams rule (on 1/8 almost all people use enneti, and last season on touring, many people switched to enneti. If you have oportunity, check one set of them, you'll be convinced.

Corse-R 01-13-2003 08:59 AM

Course-R

I've never like any of the GRP deriv. type rims either. No matter what anyone says, they bend too easily. The dish style is the only one that's some what decent, but ugly. But these new style rims (not impulse rims ) appear to be a revised and improve design. All I asking is for someone who owns the car to verify that. Btw, I would not doubt Barry Durameters all his foams first. FWIW, all Jaco's are stamped from the same sheet of rubber. Diff. areas of the sheet yeilds different shore.

I own a MTX3 and saw those 'revised' rims you said (multispokes), are a little more rigid (not stiffer) and seems to be constructed on a less brittle material.

Playing with a caliper I've taken some measurements:

GRP Multispoke rim
44.65mm inner diameter
47.80mm outer diameter
17.10mm Depth*

GRP Impulse rim
46.20mm inner diameter
49.90mm outer diameter
17.81mm Depth *

Note about the depth: Taken from the inner side of the rim to the surface of the hex drive

Jonathan 01-13-2003 09:08 AM

FWIW.....I was told by the US importer that the new Ennettis are GRP foam... Back to the MTX3 rims...more rigid not stiffer??? explain please. Have you tried them on the track?? Do they bend easily? Thanks

Anyone else??

Corse-R 01-13-2003 10:04 AM

FWIW.....I was told by the US importer that the new Ennettis are GRP foam... Back to the MTX3 rims...more rigid not stiffer??? explain please. Have you tried them on the track?? Do they bend easily? Thanks

Anyone else??

The US importer teased you, here is the website of enneti tyres.

http://www.enneti-tyres.com/

Much different and located on different site than other GRP tyres. Tyres feel so much different.

At hand the multispoke rim seems more rigid, but could be due to the difference on measures of the rim. At track the tyre was too soft and needed to run a harder ones, so not tried much the stock tyres.

TKT 01-13-2003 10:41 AM

Jonathan, who is the US importer of Ennetti tires?

mugenmaster 01-13-2003 11:39 AM

Jaco Rims

If you have a look at Speedtechrc's site they list "Jaco" tyres on rims.

These rims are new and have been made by Frewer Racing in New Zealand. These rims are very durable and do not split or break. I have used these for over a year now with great success.

I believe the compound used allows some fexibility without them loosing their shape. I also believe these rims were used at the last worlds by the winning driver.

I would strongly recommend you take a look at these.

Available in 0 & 2 degree offset and 26mm & 30mm wide

Jonathan 01-14-2003 10:57 PM

MM

Those are the Jaco Nitro Shoes that I spoke of. I like them a lot too. Their only downfall is the lack of selection in hardness. I've decided to stick w/ them and get the in between shores from GRP...So thanks.

TKT

Sup?? Do I know you?? BTW...PM me if you really don't know the answer to your question. Hell it's probably you:nod:

Corse-R 01-15-2003 12:43 AM

Those are the Jaco Nitro Shoes that I spoke of. I like them a lot too. Their only downfall is the lack of selection in hardness. I've decided to stick w/ them and get the in between shores from GRP...So thanks.
Yep! main problem of NShoes is the limited selection of hardness, but you will amaze with the disparity of hardness into one 'manufacturer hardness'... got some weird values, to give you an example:

Yokomo tyres: Got some 45 degrees fronts, bought 4 sets and when I checked with a durometer (Maxmod), got two sets of 42 degrees, one set of 46 and one of 49 degrees. On rears much of the same ocurred.

After this, switched directly to one manufacturer (Enneti) with more tight QC who ensures you that if got a 40 set, max difference you got is 1-2 shore degree and getting some intermediate values is hard because this trueness to the listed values.

Jonathan 01-15-2003 01:16 AM

Corse R

I agree with you completely. I have come across this inconsistancy in just about every brand. So...you have my attention with these "Enettis". Any chance you can post a pic. or a link. Thank you for your replies.