Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some basic Nitro on road car questions:

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 12:57 AM
Tech Elite

Default Some basic Nitro on road car questions:

I would like to buy myself a good 1:10 Nitro race car. I've read a lot of reviews and certainly the MTX-3 is very highly rated.

I've got a little experience with electric RC cars, but that was basically just playing around with complete models, so obviously I've got something to learn.

My aim is to race at my local club, where the members are racing similar cars to the MTX-3.
My local dealer also stocks Mugen parts, so there is no problem there.

The car somes with a motor and a starter box, but I'm not exactly what else I would need, i.e. glow plug? which fuel (but the club could probably say), some kind of speed controller? radio reciever, anything else?

Any tips on selecting a handset to control the car?

What kind of tools would I require?

Anything else you may think I need?

Is there an FAQ for Nitro cars?

Many thanks in advance, Mark.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:56 AM
Tech Master

The MTX3 is a good car. If your LHS stocks the parts it may be a good choice for you.

As for other things you need.

Nitro cars don't require a Speedcontroller. For radio gear I would suggest a good computer set (but not necessary), and dont be afraid to buy real good digital servos. They may be more expensive but they will work out cheaper in the long run.

BK Racing fuel seems to be a good choice for racing. Other parts you will need to consider are tires and probably a glow starter.

Rcnitro.com is a good place to go for tips although most subjects have been covered in other posts on this forum.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Markp27

The MTX3 is a pretty intense car to start out with. It is top of the range. I would only consider it if you can get good support from the guys at the track.

Check out all the cars at your track and make some comparisons. Remember these are the guys you will be racing.

Apart from that I back up what Modellor said.
Old 01-12-2003, 05:08 PM
Tech Adept

no car on the market includes a starterbox.......u will need a decent one to crank over the mr-12. i suggest the mugen one, or the ofna one....the ofna one can be a bit of a hassle sometimes, but when you are familiar with it, its great

i think the mtx-3 is way to much car for a first timer.....stick to the msx-3 by mugen, the rs43 ss by hpi, or maybe the gt4 rtr
Old 01-12-2003, 05:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Default totally off subject

I know it's totally off subject, but I've always liked that quote of Schumaker. Wasn't that in regard to Damon Hill at Monza or something, Have you read Schumaker's Autobiography?
Old 01-12-2003, 06:07 PM
Tech Adept

i have not read his autobiography.....i didnt even know he had one, but maybe itll be my next read......and yes i think that is what this quote is regarding......hill honestly went swerving off the line to block the great schumi

simply fast, simply schumi!
Old 01-12-2003, 11:50 PM
Tech Elite

Hi Browny & Nytrochaos,

Thanks for the advice. I certainly won't make a decision without talking to the guys from the club - I'm waiting for a call from one of them.

What I also wanted to avoid is to buy a car which I will simply end up replacing, because I've "out grown" it - i.e. one that I'll learn with, but once I become proficeint, won't be able to hold its own in a race.

You mentioned the MSX or GT4, both of which my LHS can supply - what would the difference be to the MTX-3 ? I take it they are easier to setup and drive?

Thanks for your advice - you guys will certainly help me in making the right choice.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

What I also wanted to avoid is to buy a car which I will simply end up replacing, because I've "out grown" it - i.e. one that I'll learn with, but once I become proficeint, won't be able to hold its own in a race.
It is a catch 22 situation. I have heard of guys buying the best car that $$$ can buy, but get frustrated buy not being able to dial the car in for racing. They end up selling the car a couple of months later.

Then as you say when you do get better you want a car that is competitive and you don't really want to start all over again.

I hear that the GT4 is pretty good for the price and quite competitive. But that is only what I hear. The best thing you can do is practice, practice and practice. After that you'll enjoy overtaking supposedly better cars (but poorer drivers).

Best of luck.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:36 AM
Tech Elite

Now that's a good point, Browny!! ;-) Overtaking drivers of better cars ;-)

I think I'll enjoy messing about with the car setup - I'm a really technical person who loves to fiddle about ;-)))

I'll look into the options a bit more, then make a decision.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:49 AM
Tech Master

I have been running the Yokomo since it came on the market. It is competitive but it is now starting to loose its edge. The Mugen MTX series has left it sitting on the top shelf and the new Serpent 705 is also a step ahead.

Myself and a couple of other guys have been making serious modifications to the Yokomo to keep it competitive but I will be using it only for club racing this year. I landed a deal with Serpent for this year and will use it for the big races including the Europeans.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:59 AM
Tech Elite

Hi Modellor,

Which car would you advise me to get. With a view that I really do like messing about and getting everything just right.
I'm not the type of person that can leave things alone :-)))

Cheers, Mark.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:10 AM
Tech Master

Thats a hard call

Kinda puts me on the spot. If I say Yokomo I will be called biased because everyone knows I have been a die-hard Yokomo racer for a few years. And If I say any other car then all the Yokomo guys that know me will call me a traitor

But, if you want a car that will be competitive, easy to adjust and set-up, and allow you to develop further skills then I would definately recommend the Yokomo GT4S.

Like I said, it is still a capable car at the Top Level and with a few other hop-ups myself and a couple others are producing it will stay competitive for several years yet. I am already working on a new steering system that works on the same principle as the Mugen MTX3 so the CofG will be lowered greatly. My car will actually be under weight for competition racing within the next month and I will be adding where I want it to improve the handling for each particular type of track.

But, again the main choice has to be yours.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by modellor
Myself and a couple of other guys have been making serious modifications to the Yokomo to keep it competitive but I will be using it only for club racing this year. I landed a deal with Serpent for this year and will use it for the big races including the Europeans.
Modellor, are you planning to go to Vila Real (Portugal) to the Euros? Plan to go, but don't know if I have possibility (last year not raced championship and not have ranking).

Sweared for a Ritchey, but seems that I must conform with a Sirio or RB for this race (If I go finally).

For not being completely Off-Topic: MTX3 isn't a novice car, but if you have some track buddies who can help you is a plus, and you have a thread dedicated to it. MTX3 is like an Xray (my other car too), only for racing, has many adjustments and some novices cannot know how to deal with (in case of doubt, stick to the stated on the manual).
Old 01-13-2003, 03:28 AM
Tech Master

Hi Corse-R,

I will be at Vila Real. I too have to decide what engines I am running yet.

At the minute it is a choice between the Rody Mod, The Salven Mega, STS Hand Mod or my own modded RB 3-ports.

Depends on the which engine I can get cheapest really as I am planning on taking 10 engines.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:52 AM
Tech Regular

All of the top cars are competitive enough to win.

I above all else always pick a car you will be able to get spare parts for easily.

I choose the MTX 3 myself because i know the mugen parts backup is the best of all the brands in my area.

No Parts = No Race!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.