Community
Wiki Posts
Search

cleaning my diffs

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 02:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default cleaning my diffs

ok, its been about 3 months since i got my nrs4-3 and i have not cleaned and relubed my stock diffs. i want everything to roll smooth again since i can finally drive without crashing so much. i clean my car a lot, but this is the one thing i've left alone. how often do you guys clean them and is the cleaning method anything different than the resent post that delt with bearing diffs? i dont even know what it looks like yet. i bet its full of dirt though.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:13 PM
Tech Initiate

How often you clean and relube your diffs depands on the type of track surface you run on. I run on asphalt that can get very dusty at times. What I do is clean mine every 12 hours of running time and same with the shock oil. The shock oil comes out black and so is the diff grease.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:31 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If your using sealed gear diffs, the diff oil should come out looking like the stuff went in. If not, they're not sealing correctly. I don't know much about the HPI diffs(whether they're sealed or not), but if they're sealed, when you open them up and their filled with dirt....theres something wrong.

Same with your shocks. I only open the shocks on my cars when I'm changing the oil or doing routine cleaning, and the oil is just as clean as when I put it in.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Default i have not cleaned and relubed my stock diffs

wahturi;

Shame on you! NOT

I usually do not replace the oil in my Diffs or Shocks unless something unusual is noted during race prep/inspection the week before. (leaking, wear, etc)

Darkseid;

You must regularly be into your diffs and shocks if your oil is never dirty. I think the oils will get dirty just from the normal rubbing of parts that occurs inside.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:26 AM
Regional Moderator

popsracer: I wouldn't say that I go into my shocks too often. Certainly no more than usual. The only time I can recall the oil in my shocks being dirty is when I used to run offroad. But for my TCs, it always comes out clean. And thats for every brand of TC I've run.(Xpress, Yokomo, Schumacher, Corally(Serpent shocks), and now Academy. Or it could be that the colored Losi oil that I usually use keeps me from seeing the small particles that manage to sneak in.

As for the diff oil, I'll have to see how the diffs on my ReflexNT do. I don't plan on opening those too often though!
Old 01-08-2003, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Default into my shocks too often

Darkseid;

Well, I've owned my Reflex for just over a year now and have only been into the shocks once to check the oil. The diffs have been apart several times due to the slight leakage at the outdrive shaft holes. I went to V1R diff cases and this has mostly eliminated the leaking.
Another thing is that Wahturi is talking about HPI diffs which are NOT sealed. Even grease will get dirty in an HPI diff.

Last edited by popsracer; 01-08-2003 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:38 AM
Regional Moderator

popsracer: I have noticed that leaking at the outdrives as well with my Reflex. It kinda sucks, I was so happy I got them sealed up well around the edges of the diff case, then I see all this oil coming out by the out drives! It only seems to be bad at the rear with the thinner oil in that diff, but I see slight leakage at the front too. Just a part of running oil filled diffs I guess we have to deal with.

I'm planning on switching to the Kyosho diff cases too.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Default Leaking Reflex diffs

Darkseid;

I think that the problem is caused by several factors.

1) The recommendation of not using the thrust washers inside the diff. I think the washers provide a better sealing area for the O-rings.

2) The hole in the diff cases where the outdrives exit is a little sloppy, The V1R cases have a tighter fit.

3) Several people have told me to try the V1R 5mm (Red) O-rings in the diff.

I stop the leaking at the gasket by using some gasket sealer at the diff halves joint.

Minor problems aside, I REALLY love the way this Car handles.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:51 AM
Regional Moderator

popsracer: yes, using the gasket sealer eliminates the leaking around the seal areas. I find the leaking around the outdrives kind of curious. I mean you would think the o-rings would provide a pretty good seal to keep oil in. Hell, it works for shocks. Maybe the Trinity outdrive O-rings just aren't good enough.