Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Modify .12 Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 11:58 PM
Tech Adept

Default Modify .12 Question

I have some old engines to practice on as well as an extensive understanding of engines. I just want to know what dremel bits i need to begin modifying and some tips on how to modify. If you anyone can give me link with some step by steps or instructions it will greatly be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-05-2003, 11:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Don't Dremel!

Man I wouldn't suggest doing it with a dremel. At least get a drill press bro. If you wanna get really serious about it get a lathe. A hand held dremel is for cutting and grinding, not machining!!! If you go with a drill press get a bunch of sharp bits and a good vice. Remember most of this stuff is hardened tool quality steel not aluminum, so it's gonna get really hot and you're gonna need sharp tools. One cool thing you can actually do without any of these tools is conecting a fish bubbler to the intake for some sort of a primative forced induction system. If you want it to be really trick you could even power the bubbler of the engine (you'll probably have to gear it down a bit though wich would be really hard) this system would basically be a supercharger. Another thing to try would be running a sevond compression line from the muffler into the intake. just some things to think about

via con kevlar my friend
Old 01-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Man I wouldn't suggest doing it with a dremel. At least get a drill press bro. If you wanna get really serious about it get a lathe. A hand held dremel is for cutting and grinding, not machining!!! If you go with a drill press get a bunch of sharp bits and a good vice. Remember most of this stuff is hardened tool quality steel not aluminum, so it's gonna get really hot and you're gonna need sharp tools. One cool thing you can actually do without any of these tools is conecting a fish bubbler to the intake for some sort of a primative forced induction system. If you want it to be really trick you could even power the bubbler of the engine (you'll probably have to gear it down a bit though wich would be really hard) this system would basically be a supercharger. Another thing to try would be running a sevond compression line from the muffler into the intake. just some things to think about
a drill press?
for modifying ports?

you cant force air into a 2 stroke engine due to the intake ports and exhaust port being open at the same time, so there for you get all your blown in air and fuel going straight out the exhaust port, it will just make your air/fuel mixture really lean
Old 01-06-2003, 02:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Default you're probably right

hey i'm not saying it would actually work, but these are just some things to mess around with there might be interesting and possibly possitive results. Most likely though nothing would really happen. and just a note: just because there's more air going into the carb that doesn't mean that it's going to be leaner, the function of a carb is to create the propper mixture ratio (if you out in more air, the carb will compensate with more gas) with forced induction though it is wise to lower the compresion ratio a bit at least on four strokes, but I'm not sure about twos you can lower the compresion ratio by extending the combustion chamber with a drill press. or less perminently by machining a thicker gasket
Old 01-06-2003, 03:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default On second thought

dude I thought about that again, yah, forced induction is a pretty stupid Idea and I guess it wouldn't work. I'm pretty new to the whole two stroke thing (I'm used to working with 4 stroke go-karts) but i do know one or two things about machining. A drill press is good for a lot of things, you can use all the same bits as a dremel but on a more solid, controllable system, drill presses can also be used as makeshift lathes, their a great budget tool
Old 01-06-2003, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

HAHAHAHAHAHA

you crack me up the bob
Old 01-06-2003, 04:00 PM
Tech Master

the fuel mixture gets leaner because your blowing all your blown in air and fuel out the exhaust port!
Old 01-07-2003, 03:32 AM
Tech Master

just a question about dremels

is 20,000 rpm fast enuf to do modifications?

im not going to do any im just curious

or would something higher be more suitable?
Old 01-07-2003, 09:49 AM
Tech Regular

cutting speed has to be adjusted for the type of bit. to keep it from over heating and the bit prematruly failing then we get into speed and feed knowing tool material types and coatings and what they offer lol we hace all seen gold color drill bits
Old 01-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

so is 20,000 rpm enuf?
Old 01-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Tech Adept

Default modified 0s cv-x max

I just finished modifing my old os cv max engine. I ported and polished the sleeve intake ports. Also ported and polished the crank intake, knife edged the connecting rod and polished. It was fun just had to be real careful. It wasn't all that hard, it was lots of fun. THe engin has about 15% increase in power also when i started it up it had lots more low end grunt had to lean it out. Not bad for a first time with a dremel and first time engine modifyer
Old 01-07-2003, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

whered u find out how to do this?
Old 01-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Tech Adept

Default Here it is

www.nitrorc.com and i practiced 2 days on a steel pipe. Also I just know a lot about engines so i had a good bases. I read a lot of books and magazines on cars, engines, everything. THats why i gon into r/c everything than real cars have except to price to work on and modify a real car is 1/10 the price and its not dangerous racing.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

which section?
do u have a direct link?
Old 01-07-2003, 08:47 PM
Tech Adept

THe sections in the right column. Scroll down theres a section on an Ofna force 12 engine and trx pro engine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.