R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   CEN .16 rotary carb (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/11463-cen-16-rotary-carb.html)

the bob 01-04-2003 03:26 PM

CEN .16 rotary carb

I just bought a CEN GX1 with the .16 rotary carb engine, and it runs pretty good right after I start it up, but as the engine heats up it starts studdering and eventually stalls. I examined the fuel line right after it did this, and there were lots of tiny bubbles (it looked like the fule was corbonated. When I felt the carb it was really hot and I realized that the fuel was actually boiling. I don't think that the engine itself is overheating, because it's not running very lean. What might the problem be?

Thanx for any advice

the bob 01-05-2003 11:45 PM

update

I richened the mixture quite a bit, so that it was obviously way too rich. It delayed the problem, but did not solve it.

please help!!! any knowledge would be greatly appreciated!!!!

TheRagunCajun 01-06-2003 11:53 AM

Fuel could be boiling as its entering the carb. It might also be your low end. I think its your settings. Make sure your getting asmoke through the throttle. I know what im saying is broad, but check your settings again. My stalling used to be high and low end all the time till i learned how to tune. To check your low end you can do a speed run and get to WOT. then let it idle for 5 seconds then nail it. How the engine reacts will say whats what with the low end. This of course has to be done after you tune your high end. You always want to tune main, low, then idle settings. I would also say check for leaks but you said it isnt over heating.

Boomer 01-09-2003 05:14 PM

Re: CEN .16 rotary carb

Originally posted by the bob
I just bought a CEN GX1 with the .16 rotary carb engine, and it runs pretty good right after I start it up, but as the engine heats up it starts studdering and eventually stalls. I examined the fuel line right after it did this, and there were lots of tiny bubbles (it looked like the fule was corbonated. When I felt the carb it was really hot and I realized that the fuel was actually boiling. I don't think that the engine itself is overheating, because it's not running very lean. What might the problem be?

Thanx for any advice

You've got a handful with the GX1. A friend and I actually ran the prototype of the new version.

The Cen .16 is not a very good motor, there is a lot of leakage and the heads are not very efficient. Make SURE you are not running the motor too hot - either use the "spit" method or a temp guage. . . if the carb is hot enough to boil the fuel, it's probably that it's getting its heat from the motor.

Something else that would be a good idea, with that motor, is to put some sealer where the carb fits onto the motor. . .it isn't very good of a joint. We also put sealer onto the backplate joint too.

Watch out for the fuel tank, too. the primer has a tendency to leak air - this will make it harder to tune.

AMGRacer 01-09-2003 05:50 PM

Have a look here. It sound like an air leak:

http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/fix_airleaks.asp

Nakamura 01-09-2003 06:07 PM

I am pretty sure there is nothing wrong with either the engine or Carb. Just get a upgrade stone filter gas tank from any brand, that should take care of your problem.

All primer leaks sometimes regardless brand . Its normal and its no big deal. Either tune it very carefully or just upgrade the gas tank if you are not a good tuner.

Boomer 01-10-2003 04:54 PM

Originally posted by AMGRacer
Have a look here. It sound like an air leak:

http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/fix_airleaks.asp

That's the article! Very good article!!!!

Nakamura - I hate to say it, but the Cen cars are prolly the lowest quality cars on the market. I and a couple of others ran them, production and prototype, and talked with Mr. Wu (owner of Cen) about it to no effect.

the bob - if you can, I would upgrade to a little OS motor if you can. They aren't expensive, the .12 will put out nearly as much power as the Cen .16 and will be a LOT more reliable.

If not, just keep a real close eye on your temp.

Nakamura 01-10-2003 05:05 PM

well, i dont know how cen cars are since i never run one. But i do know they are the ones built the HPI, kyosho and some others. So quality shoudlnt be that bad for the price consider what they did for other manufactures. Again, i never try one so i dont know. I am assuming since kyosho and HPI are very famous brand. At least i am sure cen are better than Tunder Tiger which i personally know very very well.

Boomer, From what i heard from my buddy, CEN testers are always U.S. national champs. only, ever since they enter the market ( are you one?) and one of them is a buddy of mine. NO employee, NO local racer, National Champ. only. Its actually a pretty high paid job too since my buddy is rich.

Back to the point, i gone too far. Regarding the problem, i am still think the problem is the fuel tank not engine or carb. So swap engine will not do anything. i might be wrong but thats what i think the problem is. Bubbles are the one causing the problem so just use a stone filter tank will slove this problem or just tune very carefully.

YOu know, its easier if just call CEN. I just dont see why people post on forum and ask for help when they can just call the manufacture and get the answer in 5 minutes instead of waiting for days on forum. I heard rumor about Tera Crasher manifold which i need for my tamiya, so i call them up and ask for the parts #, find a cen dealer, done. Finished in less than 1 minutes.

the bob 01-12-2003 05:04 PM

Thanks you all

hey, I'm glad that you're all so helpful and knowledgable. Looks like I have quite a few things to check, where can I find that gas tank that that guy suggested, it sounds like the first thing to check.

Boomer 01-12-2003 10:09 PM

Originally posted by Nakamura
well, i dont know how cen cars are since i never run one. But i do know they are the ones built the HPI, kyosho and some others. So quality shoudlnt be that bad for the price consider what they did for other manufactures. Again, i never try one so i dont know. I am assuming since kyosho and HPI are very famous brand. At least i am sure cen are better than Tunder Tiger which i personally know very very well.

Boomer, From what i heard from my buddy, CEN testers are always U.S. national champs. only, ever since they enter the market ( are you one?) and one of them is a buddy of mine. NO employee, NO local racer, National Champ. only. Its actually a pretty high paid job too since my buddy is rich.

Back to the point, i gone too far. Regarding the problem, i am still think the problem is the fuel tank not engine or carb. So swap engine will not do anything. i might be wrong but thats what i think the problem is. Bubbles are the one causing the problem so just use a stone filter tank will slove this problem or just tune very carefully.

YOu know, its easier if just call CEN. I just dont see why people post on forum and ask for help when they can just call the manufacture and get the answer in 5 minutes instead of waiting for days on forum. I heard rumor about Tera Crasher manifold which i need for my tamiya, so i call them up and ask for the parts #, find a cen dealer, done. Finished in less than 1 minutes.

A- If Cen used a national champion as their tester, that would be a Barry Baker, Brian Kinwald, etc. etc. - and NO, I'm not one. It's a very poor paying job for Cen since all I got was a 50% discount on parts and kits and I had to supply all my own electronics. Your "buddy" is a figment of your imagination - I recommend counseling or psychoanalysis to help. :rolleyes:

I was the second person to drive the Prototype Fun Factor Schlesser Buggy (2 wheel drive Nitro) - even before they had the license for the body locked up so we had to cobble together another body. I didn't get paid and neither did the others. Our reports and suggestions were integrated into the final design, however.

I would buy Thunder Tiger easily before I would buy Cen.

They DO OEM work for HPI, etc. That doesn't make any difference when it comes to their own stuff.

If you want, Bob, call Cen but don't expect any expert assistance. Trust me, I know the guys down there (the US offices of Genka - the US distributor - are about 20 minutes from my house.) They really don't know enough to be a decent help.

You're going to need to go to your LHS with the old tank and get one that is as close as possible to the same size - tanks are all different sizes and shapes.

Have your LHS also help you to make sure that your fuel line is well sealed from the tank to the carb.

Nakamura 01-13-2003 10:08 AM

WoW... it sonds like someone was fired from the job for stupidity like his posts and getting mad .. funny. And dont tell me you quit because of this and that and everyone else quit with you when you did. Thats why everyone says but never true, stupid. What make you think they will listen to a customer service instead of a national champ? You are luck you get 50% discount. TT and lots of others make you pay full price. LOL....ask me how i know. You was a lot more furtune than mosts including me.

Note, i said testing job which means it does not require to sit in the office and answer phone. Just solely testing all day only So of course you wasnt paid, because you wasnt one. They probabelly just want to know how the stupid full of themselves local racers will react since they already have a national champ testing it.

Uh... you know, there a lot of national champ other than the famous ones running right now, and i did not say he is popular but he did won before. My buddy is a national champ 5 years ago using AE car. And no, he is not running in races anymore. Why? Age and you wasnt paid unless you win the title. And he has a family to feed now.

I know because I asked him to hook me up with a product testing job ( not office job) since he is making over 45G which is a lot more than me and he reject me w/o even mentions to the owner (whoever he is) because they only take national champ.

The bob, gas tank can be found in any decent lhs. Just get one that will go in directly w/o modification. And ya, better listen to boomer because he is better than national champ. LOL :D

Boomer 01-13-2003 02:33 PM

Man, you are an idiot.

First, I said "No I'm not one" as in not a national champion. I never claimed, claim nor will claim to be as good or better than one.

Second, I didn't quit my "job", nor was I fired, nor was it a full-time job - I was building or, more properly, rebuilding the network infrastructure at their Genka (as I said, their US dist.) and, as they hired almost all RC drivers, and as I can usually state my case in a reasoned, properly spelled, fashion with proper grammar, and since I have something of an engineering background (albeit in a different field) I was asked to give input into several of their projects, including the GX-1 and the Schelsser Fun Factor. I didn't quit it because of anything other than that it was interfering with my real job, and adding quite a bit of time that I had to drive several nights a week to fix problems that were caused by Ken (Mr. Wu's son, btw - you know, the owner of Cen) trying to fix imagined problems.

Isn't it interesting that I have given DETAILS where you just say "buddy".

Listen, Cen couldn't PAY enough for a real national champion right now - but you're saying National Champion - okay, which country? North Korea? Vietnam? Madagascar? Yeah, those are countries whose RC National Champion I would definitely respect.:weird: Which sanctioning body awarded his championship? You say 5 years ago - 1998? 1997? or is it "about" five years ago. . .

It's interesting that Cen would be far more picky than would, say HPI or Assoc or Losi or Schumacher or Serpent, etc. etc. etc. They ask for a resume and require a lot less than National Champion (although that helps). And require a lot more too, in some cases - usually some background in engineering and vehicle dynamics so that you actually understand why a swept-forward a-arm is good, etc.

He rejects you w/o "even mentions to the owner" probably because of several reasons - first, you're a noob and any sponsored driver is going to reject you. Second, you're a hanger-on and any sponsored driver is going to try to get RID of you. Third, because, if he IS working R&D for Cen (or anyone for that matter) there is a limited number of slots open and he probably wants to keep his own slot for himself. Lastly, it's most likely that he just is trying to insulate his boss from having to deal with an IDIOT like yourself.

Nakamura 01-13-2003 07:10 PM

The only reason i go on with you is becaues I am just frustrated that adults still say stupid things like you in year 2003.

So typical. man, you are so full of it. First you say they dont pay you enough. Then you say you quit because you have a "real" job on the side. In that case, what do you expect from a part time job? LOL... Not to mention that you said you test product then it become doing networks. Come on... whats next? Sue them for using your network design on a rc car? :lol: Plus what make you think they will pay you well if you are nobody? :lol:

Just because someone fire you so you end up making things up just to talking smack about the company and even owner's family. what are you going to say next? Your co-worker steal owner's coke from refrigirator and accuse you? I smell? He is Gay? Owner's daughter is a slut? They are morons?

I am absoutly sure manufacture such as Thunder Tiger wont take you(or someone w/ just engineering background) as a tester unless you win something big too. Ask me how i know. Who the fuck cares how many degree you have? It doesnt mean you can drive and give right suggstion.
Testers dont design a car. R&D does. Please have some common sense. Just practice Engineering wont know crap about RC. It require actual experience. Engineering major graduates' opinion is nothing compare to national champ's, get it? R&D is R&D and product testing is product tesing. Its different. I am sure brian and berry didnt even graduate from college too. And i am sure they dont even know how to design a car using computer as well.

First of all, please read. I said U.S. champaign. second of all, its not hard to find a national champ. Not all the national champ end up famous like brian or berry. Get it? I didnt say "current famous" US national champ. Even he won once, he still have national champ history. There are former national champs making not even 40G a year. They win once but not popular, Why, because you get nothing unless you won the title each time. And you cant make a living out of it unless you consistantly win. LOL..... And what else should i call my "buddy"? Friends? Homeboy? Not to mention i dont even believe in what you said.

This is way too retarded. I quit. Wait, i dont quit, i just want to put a stop to this because This is just interferring with my real job. LOL Seriously, i am very suprised and frustrated that this kind of human being still exists.

Boomer 01-13-2003 09:49 PM

So, your "buddy" is Ralph Burch, Barry Baker, Ted Hammer or Mike Swauger. . .? Those were the US National Champions from 1998 for Fuel On-Road.

And, to you, please read. I never said that I had a "job" - as in full time - at Cen or at Genka. I said that I ran a couple of cars (and a boat, btw) for them. I didn't get fired, it wasn't my full-time and I never claimed it was, never will. I didn't make any accusations toward anyone other than someone trying to solve network problems that didn't exist (and you find that anywhere. . . ;) )

Talking smack about Cen - go to your LHS and ask. Go to ANY LHS and ask. Cen doesn't sell because Cen doesn't make decent stuff FOR THEMSELVES - they do make decent OEM stuff (for HPI, they make some for Losi, etc.) but their own stuff is junk.

Again - please read. I said "some background in engineering" - by this I meant some knowledge and some background in the concepts by which they can communicate intelligently with the rest of the R&D team. Good cars are built by people who know RC (witness Gil Losi Jr. among others. . .)

You can quit. Fine with me. If this interferes with your "real job" then quit browsing this board during your "real job". Duh. But if you're gonna make claims that are pure crap, I'm gonna repudiate them. If you call me a liar, I'm gonna come back at you. You were the one started this crap. . .I just answered. Each time.

well, i dont know how cen cars are since i never run one. . . .Boomer, From what i heard from my buddy, CEN testers are always U.S. national champs. only, ever since they enter the market ( are you one?)

WoW... it sonds like someone was fired from the job for stupidity like his posts and getting mad . . .

Nakamura 01-13-2003 10:19 PM

I am very frustrated that adults still say stupid things when they are mad in year 2003. :eek:

1. wrong. give you a hint. He drives a AE electric car.

2. You know, Losi Junior and Pops ( i assume you know who that is) does not design a car alone. And they have no authorizy after Horizon took over.( since you are so godd, do you know why they decide to sell Losi? and who had shares of losi?) Their R&D design and leave it to testing dept for adjustments. Its as easy as that. So R&D dont test and Testing dont design. GET IT? It might be in the same dept. but most likely done by different person.

3. I thought you work as a computer engineering since you mention network. Then you mention testing. WHO THE FUCK WILL ASK A COMPUTER NERD TO DO TESTING?

4. All hail, boomer. So you ran a couple cars for them ( even i dont believe you) and think your opinion is better than experts? DAMN I got to see how you drive. So good, why not into national yet? You know, they probablly just give you a car as a thank you since you doing networks like you said you were.
5. Its coming out of same machine, same factory, same material, done by the same guy but one is excellent and one is junk. Are you listening to yourself?

You are a Liar and you the ones saying crap because its clear that they fire you and you get pissed so you start making up crap. You can talk smack about anyone and any manufacture all you want. i dont care, just fruatrated and amazed.

Lol.........i was making fun of you. Maybe i need to work on my sense of humor. I think you need to stop making things up since all you said doesnt sounds like truth. I dont know what truth is since i never work there but what you said sound like someting you make up.

1. you say its a poor paid job then you said you dont even work there.

2. you said you were doing testing then it become doing networks

OK I AM DONE. SICK OF THIS