Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MRX-4R

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Buggy engine

Hey aws7576 I have ran a ws7 in a on road car. Here is my suggestion. Get a short conical header and a 9886 pipe .then get a turbo plug underhead and find a head off a on-road novarossi based motor and you will be suprised how good it works.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by latemodel13
Hey aws7576 I have ran a ws7 in a on road car. Here is my suggestion. Get a short conical header and a 9886 pipe .then get a turbo plug underhead and find a head off a on-road novarossi based motor and you will be suprised how good it works.
Thank you
Old 08-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Most of you might know this already but I didn't...and found out the hard way so I thought I'd mention it so no one else makes the same mistake.

Before the main at the GLC this past weekend I changed the lower front left arm on my MRX4R because the suspension pin had been moving back a bit. The plastic that the set-screw goes in to hold the suspension pin in place must have been a bit stripped. I put on a new front left lower arm as part of my rebuild before the main. 30 minutes before the main my car is back together and I throw it on the tweak board and the bubble is slammed all the way to one side. I had no idea what I had put back together wrong but the only way to adjust it was with springs and sway bars. The car was a mess to try and drive in the main. I found out today talking to Mike S that the front lower arms on the MRX4R have a different shock mount location than the MRX4 arms and I had put on a MRX4 arm by mistake so I had different spring rates on the left and right sides. The part numbers are the same for the MRX4 and MRX4R front arms so you have to know to look for the difference if you may have old lower front arms in your parts supply (or hobby shops part supply). Anyway...most of you may have know this but maybe this will keep someone else from having the same problem.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:53 PM
ND
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dpdiehl
Most of you might know this already but I didn't...and found out the hard way so I thought I'd mention it so no one else makes the same mistake.

Before the main at the GLC this past weekend I changed the lower front left arm on my MRX4R because the suspension pin had been moving back a bit. The plastic that the set-screw goes in to hold the suspension pin in place must have been a bit stripped. I put on a new front left lower arm as part of my rebuild before the main. 30 minutes before the main my car is back together and I throw it on the tweak board and the bubble is slammed all the way to one side. I had no idea what I had put back together wrong but the only way to adjust it was with springs and sway bars. The car was a mess to try and drive in the main. I found out today talking to Mike S that the front lower arms on the MRX4R have a different shock mount location than the MRX4 arms and I had put on a MRX4 arm by mistake so I had different spring rates on the left and right sides. The part numbers are the same for the MRX4 and MRX4R front arms so you have to know to look for the difference if you may have old lower front arms in your parts supply (or hobby shops part supply). Anyway...most of you may have know this but maybe this will keep someone else from having the same problem.
This applies to the front and rear lower wishbones, the mounting point is further out on the MRX4-R arms, you can see this if you look closely at them, but it is a common mistake especially when you re-building before a final (I did the same on the rear).

In future parts that are different will have a different part number from to stop this happening, example the new front uprights are HO139B, where as the old ones were HO139.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Tech Adept

diehl, i did the same thing, i set up the car using the MRX4 arms and the car worked great, however , the first couple of days of practice i was running with one old and one new arm.(not a good idea).
also, if you check the rod ends on your shocks, you will notice that they have little grooves cut in them. this is caused from the MRX4R arms as the shock position is too far out and when you turn , the inside of the rim rubs against it.
the problem is solved by using the old arms.
steve
Old 08-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Tech Initiate

makes me feel a little better hearing I'm not the only one to make this mistake and end up with mis-matched arms. waste of a good opportunity though, basically dialing myself out of any chance of contention before the main even started.

On a brighter note....got to run the new MSR "Whip" body at the GLC. Even though the MSR "Whip" was a heavyweight version, it was still a definite improvement over the lightweight Dome body I had been using.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:44 AM
ND
Tech Adept

makes me feel a little better hearing I'm not the only one to make this mistake and end up with mis-matched arms. waste of a good opportunity though, basically dialing myself out of any chance of contention before the main even started.

On a brighter note....got to run the new MSR "Whip" body at the GLC. Even though the MSR "Whip" was a heavyweight version, it was still a definite improvement over the lightweight Dome body I had been using.
Hi

Any chance of posting a picture of the MSR bodyshell?
Old 08-09-2006, 02:11 AM
Tech Champion

I've got Serpent bodies. The lexan is thick and the shape is handsome.

Do you have MSR weblinks ?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

the msr body looks just like the dome but with only one cockpit other than that there pretty identical looking.

Last edited by racer x 1; 08-09-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:50 AM
Tech Regular

I will post few pics of the MSR 1002 "The Whip" body later today.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Tech Adept

i purchased 2 of the whip bodies at the GLC, they look pretty cool.
one thing i did notice , however, is the side walls are a little thin near the rear wheels.
im gonna try and reinforce it with some fibre tape and shoo goo.
anyone else have any suggestions??
steve
Old 08-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AKSHUN
i purchased 2 of the whip bodies at the GLC, they look pretty cool.
one thing i did notice , however, is the side walls are a little thin near the rear wheels.
im gonna try and reinforce it with some fibre tape and shoo goo.
anyone else have any suggestions??
steve
ha steve this is jimmy sorry i missed you at the glc could not get the time off sounds like you had fun
Old 08-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Tech Regular

Here are you few pics of Mike Strack MSR Whip.
Attached Thumbnails Mugen MRX-4R-rc2-010.jpg   Mugen MRX-4R-rc2-019.jpg   Mugen MRX-4R-rc3-007.jpg  
Old 08-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

This is an awesome body and it's aeros were developed exclusively for the MRX4R...may fit other brands, but respectfully, "nobody cares." LOL Notice the cut-outs behind the front wheels and behind the front body posts. All functional. There are also other cut-outs, not visible. Can't wait to run mine.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Simply Awesome

Hey Mike, just wanted to let you know I ran mine at the GLC ant it was better than the body I ran at IRP. Keep up the good work........Kurt L

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.