Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GRP Foam Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Ah, another part I know about, warehouse space isn't as much as you think. To place that much inventory into a self storage facility is about $800 a month. Storage isn't that much, even if they are to store the 50,000 boxes at the rate of $1 a set, including insurance and picker costs, that is way high, it would be more like $.17 a set on average if you had to store them for 6 months ore more. (don't take my word, check it out)
I run 2 businesses and I know.

Cambell uses a warehouse near Woodside, OH. Even at the rate of storing items, they can still sell a can of soup for under a dollar.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

They will be storing them a long time with those prices.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

YES, they will......
Old 05-15-2006, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by performula
Probably because way too much overhead. Can you imagine having to store that many boxes of tires in a warehouse and having them not sell?
If GRP sells them at $8.00 a pair (probably cheaper) to Great Planes why are they going to be $18.00 through Tower? It's crazy. My LHS sells Nitro Shoes for $22.99 a pair.

22.99 for Jacos??

Damn, that's street robbery.

Check this store in Europe, they are slling them for € 7.50 per pair, AND they were shipped from the US, AND Austria has 20% sales tax.

http://www.hi-tech.at/mugen/store/pi...?categoryId=34

As I said before it's all Grade A BS

Btw, a distributor pays around 4-5 bucks for a pair of foams.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Yep, went and looked for myself. $6.50 euro = $8.31 USD
Old 05-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
There is much more labor involved in making a foam tire than a rubber tire. In addition, the scrap generated from a sheet of donuts is greater than the number of tires yielded. Thus, as a business owner you can understand the frustration of having to throw away 65% of your raw materials.
Jack:

Is the own manufacturer the one who needs to thinker about how to get more from the same quantity of raw materials. Maybe something that could help is to give the tyres on really usable diameters (78 or 79mm of diam isn't an usable size on a 1/8 rear, 71 for fronts is three quarters of the same for the touring foams... 65, 64mm of diameter? sheesh!). Give us 63 or 62mm of diameter. My heart is aching when I need to reduce 5mm of the 1/8 rears each round just to true them for qualifiers.

I'm with you that labor on the foam tyres are bigger due to all the glueing and cutting involved. But... maybe manufacturers could struggle a little more selling tyres on usable sizes from the box.

BTW: It's probably Off-Topic, but have you tried to resurrect the capped tyres (Jaco) for the use in 1/8 as rain tyres? Yellow compount with a rain thread could rock on 1/8's.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Lowering the diameter 2mm does not increase the yield in a sheet, unfortunately. The sheets are not very large to begin with.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Capped tires!!! Oh no! Please, no. Stay away. I don't want to go there. Actually, I found out later that they discontinued some of the compounds we used. Glad we got out when we did. Although we did sell a LOT of touring car caps.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

You guys are killing me!!! I pay 20.00 dollars for a pair of tires, if you don't like the price get out of racing. But you will pay 600.00 for a car, what do you expect this is a busines they are not going to give it away. I been at large events and yes the top drivers race one run tires, they wroked hard to get the privilage to do so. I have spent thousands in this hobby, try racing real cars and bitch about the tires. You guys are making a mountan out of a mole hill, if you can get your tires for 8 bucks a pair do so, but don't bitch about it there is so much of this going on in the RC industry and none of you have done anything to combat high prices. It cost money to get the performance out of your cars, and it cost the manufactures millions to get the performance you ask for. Just chill out and race!

BTW

Find me a pair of Jaco Nitro Shoes for 8 bucks, or any other nitro tire that is not being blown out because they cannot sell them.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Jack, I agree, John I think is still making them for touring cars. I used to have to grind BSR's down with an industrial Cobra a/c truer! then balance them. The new Serpent rim with Jaco foam is the best tire I have used, and for the price I get them, It is right on target. However, is thier any way to get just the donuts anymore?

gijoe64: you know, I could have agreed with you just receintly, like on friday, but it sounds like you are in the business of being a distributor. Hmm...

LET ME VENT:
coming next!

Last edited by rcfoolz; 05-15-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcfoolz
Jack, I agree, John I think is still making them for touring cars. I used to have to grind BSR's down with an industrial Cobra a/c truer! then balance them. The new Serpent rim with Jaco foam is the best tire I have used, and for the price I get them, It is right on target. However, is thier any way to get just the donuts anymore?
YES!

I forgot you could glue your own tires as long as the wheels were OK. But the cost comparison was so little you were better off buying the combo. From what I can remember.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gijoe64
You guys are killing me!!! I pay 20.00 dollars for a pair of tires, if you don't like the price get out of racing.
When was it wrong to save money?
Old 05-15-2006, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Their is nothing wrong in saving money but you have to be realilistic about this. Some of you guys think you know it all, but you don't have a clue. I buy parts from internet shops but I pay for shipping and I have to wate a few days for my stuff. But you guys keep bitching about pricing but you buy it anyway, cars, engines, tires ect.. Performance cost money!! and you guys are always wanting manufactures to make better products, but you don't realize that it cost them millions to develop these products. You talk about high gas prices but you still pay 3 dollars a gallon for gas.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Yes Performula, your correct, but now I don't run them......are you going to the Nationals or the GLC?

TIME TO VENT!
Now gijoe64, let me tell you what I think. I think you are part of Horizon or something.
I race the best I can with what I have, and if It means I have to spend $5000 to be competive with the top drivers because they get stuff I can't buy, whats the point of racing against them! You might as well say that they are cheating.
Also, in your eye's, it is apparent we are all UNWORTHY and UNGRATEFULL consumers that we don't go out and pay whatever the price is. Something else, I have designed cars, had them produced, sold, and never received any $ from it. So, what about those Millions?

A mountian out of a mole hill, well I'm not mad at the manufactures, I'm mad about the middle-man and people like you, because if it wasn't for them, the price wouldn't be that HIGH!

Last edited by rcfoolz; 05-16-2006 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Also a distributer has to pay for the tires from GRP and pay tariffs, taxes and import costs. And just the beginning, GRP makes good tires but they are growing and they need a out let to sell their product here in the US. If you want cheap tires find that deal but if you are just going to vent online don't expect everyone to agree with your opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.