Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i agree with motorman i don't want to be lumped in that statment myself .i watch my motor jobs run week after week at club races and state races and next week at the regionals.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I too take offense to be lumped into that class......I have modded motors for a long time, sold many of them and never had a complaint. TrickPonYracing does excellent work and his motors are FAST and the Go and GO and GO.

I now have my engines done by another modder. If I blow one up now, it is because I've done something wrong, not the modder.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Its hard to re gain trust once youve been burned.. But dont lose hope there are a lot of great modders out there that have awesome reps. Really a modder is at the mercy of many un related malfunctions. What should happen when you have a complaint is the modder should inspect the engine to see what went wrong. Then give a resonable explanation.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:30 AM
Tech Elite

i have to say that every engine i have modded has been half blown or completely blown and it just comes back to life....exept for my ttr21 thats in my savage....that thing after about 13 gallons of fuel still gets up and goes.....wheelies on demanD!

i ported one of my force .12s that i didnt run in at all......took a craplooad of litres from me n then i sold it to a mate n he still runs it in his truck

ported my mates gs15r or somthin in his kyosho which is blown n now it flys.....
Old 01-13-2007, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

An engine modifier modifies the engine. From there its broken in by the user. If anything the problems had were either a engine problem instilled from the manufacturer or the end user.

I highly doubt anyone goes out there to mod motors with ripping people off in mind. Just doesnt make sense.

Another thing to remember is engine manufacturers dont normally offer warranties with there engines for this statement.

"Due to the nature of nitro racing" These motors dont come with a warranty. What that means is , anyone with half a brain can blow up a motor on command. So lets say your motor has who knows how much fuel through it and you want a new one...you just blow the motor , complain to your engine company or modified and hope to get a new one.

With this kinda things that can go wrong. Its hard for a engine modder to say ok ill take it back and give you a brand new one. In which they have to pay for , then put labor into again...

Buying a modified motor is more of a risk due to investment , nothing more. Its scary buying any 300+ dollar motor , modified or stock. It just means if something goes wrong you have to spend that to get what you had back.

Albeit though most modifiers normally will take a look and assess the situation. But you really cant get mad at them for a blown motor. Most cases it was out of there hands and not there doing.

Every motor is different and engine modders cant forsee the future or use xray vision to see little stress cracks or small things that might make or break a motor.

This is where you might want to invest money into getting the few engine modifiers to break in your motor too. So anything that goes wrong , the engine modifier can bring up to their supplier and of course youll get a motor that makes it.

Otherwise getting a modded engine is probably a safer bet cause they see all these motors all the time and if one doesnt look right , they probably wont even modify or sell it. For two reasons.

1. They dont want a bad rep and
2. They dont want motors sent back, hassle of returns , inspecting, speaking with a disgruntled customer...etc etc.

Best bet is to find an engine modifier for two resasons. Reputation and or price. That way you at least have something to benefit. Either by not paying much either way or at least knowing who did the job knows what there doing and really lays down power.

Im pretty sure most people here know quite a few good engine modifiers. In fact quite a few of them reside on rctech. I wont say names , but any smart fellow can tell you whos good. In fact some of them might of already posted in this thread.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:25 PM
Tech Regular

I think one thing that is more important than all of the cutting, milling and timing figures combined is what is called The Fit. Because of the ever so slight tolerence differences in mass produced engine parts, most of the big time engine builders ( Paris, Hottenger, Roem, Rossi, ect) buy case lots of engines from Novarossi for example. Then they disassemble all of them ( were talikin 200 to 500 engines here) and by hand check the "fit" of say all the piston sleeve assemblies. Out of say 500 engines the builder may find 100 that are excellent fits. Then they will do the same check crankcases good bearing fit with no crankshft binding. Assembling all these "excellent fit" parts into an engine usually result in a mill that will daylight all the everyday dremel jobs running around out there. Then when they take do port work and timing work on an excellent fit.....watch out!! Thats why i dont really mess with doing my own mods any more. Unless you have the resources to do this fitting process, your just feeding sweet milk to a buzzard in my opinion.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Bolt the damn thing in the car and just drive it. There's probably less than 5% of the 1/8 onroad drivers in the world that could really benefit from the mods the pro's do. For the rest of us it's just bling to have..... modded by XXXXX ....... engraved on the head.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Yeah sometimes having a slower engine is faster. But in the hands of two equally good drivers the one with a modded engine thats quicker will win.. Having said that mods are a very real thing , they do improve the performance and for someone thats had the taste of boths worlds, will concurr.

Its all up to the individual , I mean theres no need to Modify a Nissan Skyline to get 600 BHP and drive it on the street, but many people do it for various reasons, and thats their right of enjoyment. Its all part of the sport and freedom of choice.
I sponsor about 12 drivers and half of them prefer to drive stock motors, the other half cant do without a modded one.. So go figure.. I drive a Stock motor in my on road tourer and a heavily modified one in my truck..
There is a lot to gain from trying to win with a slower car, it makes you better IMO .. Anyway im rambling now.. im all smiles here i hope nothigs taken as a dig , just personal opinions.

Cheers MM
Old 01-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Tech Elite

hey mark i snapped one of the ears off one of my engines.....u think if i weld it back on itll be ok?