R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Best 300 dollar engine for 1/8th scale screamer? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/112984-best-300-dollar-engine-1-8th-scale-screamer.html)

BIGTACO 05-06-2006 05:28 PM

Best 300 dollar engine for 1/8th scale screamer?

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and soon to be new to 1/8th scale onroad. I currently run a 1/8th scale Jammin CRT at my local track but am looking forward to getting into this also. I saw a Serpent 960 run and that was all I had to see. I WANT ONE. Havent decided if I will go with the Serpent, Mugen, or Kyosho.
My real question and the reason for this post is, what is a good 300 dollar engine for these cars. I am looking for something that has decent rpms but is also easy to tune. I currently run a Vspec .21 in my CRT and it has been great. I am hoping to find something as user freindly as the Vspec for my onroad. :tire:

suntok2 05-07-2006 05:11 AM

Your budget is sirio .21`onroad. 300$

Corse-R 05-07-2006 07:37 AM

Sirio is a engine to see it, probably you'll be fine too with a Rally Game engine, who are cheaper than the on-road version (this is generally on all the brands who make .21's). Their powerband will be different, and probably you'll need to tune them a little different but is a very valid combo.

If you really decided what car to get, wait a little, with the Release of the Ninja engines, Mugen should be about launching a combo of the MRX4-R and the ninja engine at a slightly lower price (well, here they done them... is to expect that your Mugen dealer will do the same).

BIGTACO 05-07-2006 12:35 PM

Anyone heard anything about the 21 VZ-R Turbo II??.
What is a decent "practical rpm range" that I should be looking for in an onroad engine to be competitive. The engine I just listed tops out at a claimed 42k rpm. Some of the more expensive ones I have seen get up to 48k...

Bad Mika 05-08-2006 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by BIGTACO
Hello everyone. I am new to this site and soon to be new to 1/8th scale onroad. I currently run a 1/8th scale Jammin CRT at my local track but am looking forward to getting into this also. I saw a Serpent 960 run and that was all I had to see. I WANT ONE. Havent decided if I will go with the Serpent, Mugen, or Kyosho.
My real question and the reason for this post is, what is a good 300 dollar engine for these cars. I am looking for something that has decent rpms but is also easy to tune. I currently run a Vspec .21 in my CRT and it has been great. I am hoping to find something as user freindly as the Vspec for my onroad. :tire:

Hello Bigtaco,

I have been racing on-road and off-road for sometime now. From my experience, to be competitive especially in ON-Road, you've got to get a reasonably competitive engine unless you are just playing for fun and as a hobby and not into club racing. Else you will end up buying another engine after your first one which means you'll be spending more.

Of course, this is just my personal opinion...

Happy Racing !

BIGTACO 05-08-2006 06:52 AM

Makes sense Bad Mika. I intend to give race at my local track. But what is considered a competitive engine? Am I going to be spending 500 bucks? What kinda Rpms am I looking for? What kinda brand?

Heard anything about the Ninja MR21-R01? :sneaky:

BallPy 05-08-2006 11:54 AM

If you are running club races you will be surprise how well the O.S. does run. It is a very reliable engine.. Of course it doesnt rev quite like some of the high strunge engines. I run NovaMega engines but for the price the Sirio and the OS are good engines.

momotalo 05-08-2006 07:56 PM

maybe u can try mega zx21 engine...
this engine quite cheap . also easy to tune....
also the power quite big.. but not as big as novamega....
hehehhe
:lol: :lol:
i'm already try it.. n for me , i'm quite satisfied with mega zx21 engine

HarKonnenD 05-08-2006 09:06 PM

If you enter a sportsman 8th class, power and a more pricey engine won't help you - consistency and a well dialed in car will. Only when you have the skill will a faster engine actually help you...especially in 8th onroad which has driving style completely different to that of nitro sedan. The Mega ZX21 DS II race is pretty good, OS .21 VZR you can have modded to be faster, and or find a Novamega evo 5 cheap somewhere like www.brooklynhobbies.com . I have a Novarossi Top and although old (and a pita to get a replacement p/s set) I can hold my own around the track with a lot of the guys on my lvl with faster engines...even pass em.

Darthswan 05-09-2006 07:31 PM

21 VZ-R Turbo II

Mines scream, i couldn't imagine what it would be like if it was modded.

K