Wiki Posts
Search

Starter Boxes

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Starter Boxes

I been using a 1/8th box for my 10th scale. The problem is only I can start my car. This is not good If flame out on the stand.

Looking for a great starter box for 1/10th scale nitro. Any suggestions. I have a RRR.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have the Duratrax Universal w/ Power Panel and love the thing. Has a glow igniter that hooks into it, check power by the push of a button. It's heavy but has the power. Alot of bang for you buck.

Here it is:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHAR1&P=ML

Add a body, can of paint, and save $10.00.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks, Looks good. Do the twin 540's pack the punch for breaking in new engines?
Old 05-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PhatPat
Thanks, Looks good. Do the twin 540's pack the punch for breaking in new engines?
Pat....apparently you just don't want us local ppl find out you are too affraid to ask us what starter box we used...? Come on, you know I can still beat you even thought you have a faster starter box and a RRR (just kidding)

I like my AE NTC3 starter box, or you can get the OFNA one with a on/off swtich and gel cell battery mount for the same price, they are almost identical, but it can fit in a 12V gel cell battery within and use 1 750 motor.

About $70 plus $25 for a gel cell....Tower has it. and Albert can order one for you as well with discount
Old 05-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PhatPat
Pair of 550s in there and I have broken in a tight Nova with no problems.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

http://integy.automated-shops.com/cg...06106279998.1d

break your conrod with that
Old 05-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Single motors aren't more powerful than dual motors - they just have a little more RPM. What you need is torque and the 12v batt provides 7amps to give those motors some power. TWo stick packs won't do the job as good as the 12v. I've run my Ofna black true start 10th scale box on 1/10th nitro on/off, and 1/8th on/off with no hassle what so ever. I've seen many single motor boxes have a hard time cranking really tight motors. Another bad thing with those singles, what happens when they die on the track? Two inexpensive 19T motors are great replacements for the box. A pair of hot modified motors won't do the truck as they don't have the low end grunt.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Tech Addict

i have always used the ae starter box because it has the torque and also it has 3 different mounting positions so if you ever change cars you don't need to buy a new box. i just put 2 3000mah stick packs in there and away you go!!!
Old 05-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Tech Addict

Thanx Rookie!! You gonna make speak in 3rd person again. Does Pat Morris have to ge a evolva and beat you in 1/8th scale
Old 05-02-2006, 06:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Single motors aren't more powerful than dual motors - they just have a little more RPM. grunt.

I disagree. The only thing worse than one weak suck motor is two weak suck motors and the 540 motors for starter box application are pretty weak suck in the torque dept. Do yourself a favor get a box that has a 700 series motor. They have the beans to get the job done. I am currently using the new GS box. Very light, easy to mount a sealed lead battery, and replacement parts are available for it.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I just got a mugen starter box, and compaired to the Ofna, AE and some other piece of $h!# I had, I like it the best. Its light, powerful and small. Only complaint is that building it was a pain.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by P2gee
I disagree. The only thing worse than one weak suck motor is two weak suck motors and the 540 motors for starter box application are pretty weak suck in the torque dept. Do yourself a favor get a box that has a 700 series motor. They have the beans to get the job done. I am currently using the new GS box. Very light, easy to mount a sealed lead battery, and replacement parts are available for it.
The two motors have as much as the single motor - thats why there are two 550 motors. I watched racers try cranking over 321p, JPs, Sirios, etc and they all couldn't crank because of the pinch. Whether the box was Ofna, Associated, etc it didn't matter. As I've said...it has MORE RPM NOT more torque.

I have the 1/10th box and have no issue whatsoever starting all sorts of engine. I just loosen the plug before starting which makes. I have no issue about my box being heavy...it's mainly the battery, but with muscle I don't complain about that weight.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by P2gee
rpm is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall after you hit it. Same applies with a starter box. You can have all the rpm's you want hitting that flywheel. Doesnt count if the motor doesnt have the torque to follow it through and crank it over.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Single motors aren't more powerful than dual motors - they just have a little more RPM. What you need is torque and the 12v batt provides 7amps to give those motors some power. TWo stick packs won't do the job as good as the 12v. I've run my Ofna black true start 10th scale box on 1/10th nitro on/off, and 1/8th on/off with no hassle what so ever. I've seen many single motor boxes have a hard time cranking really tight motors. Another bad thing with those singles, what happens when they die on the track? Two inexpensive 19T motors are great replacements for the box. A pair of hot modified motors won't do the truck as they don't have the low end grunt.
I think 2 good stock motro 23t/27t is good enough especially they are running at almost double the voltage of their usual application. speed isn't an issue, it is the tourque we want.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

I know I never said we need speed I said torque. Two stocks or a pair of 19Ts are great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.