Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Can I move DSM Antenna for M11 >

Can I move DSM Antenna for M11

Can I move DSM Antenna for M11

Old 04-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)
Default Can I move DSM Antenna for M11

Does anyone know how to move DSM anntenna to the regular antenna spot on the Airtronics M11 radio. I have seen in done for the M8.

Where the DSM antenna is located is not a good spot.

Thank you.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Theres a website / shop that can perform the modification. Not sure what the link is but if you tried searching you should be able to locate it , it was spoken about here on rctech.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

It is the same as the M8 conversion www.rc411.com has a how to section and it is in there. Here it is below

Issue 122 (January 2006) Words: Stephen Bess

By now we've all seen Spektrum radio modules in use everywhere, and one of the most popular radios used with the Spektrum system is Airtronics' M8. If you've embraced the Spektrum technology like we have and sold or tossed all of your crystal-based gear, you can actually install the Spektrum permanently into your M8 to avoid that nagging little antenna hanging out of the back of the module. Traxxas' Chris Shivers alerted us to this conversion, and he was nice enough to walk me through the conversion for my radio. Follow these steps to permanently install a Spektrum module into your M8 for the ultimate in factory looks and performance.

1. Radio Disassebly
You'll first need to remove the module and disassemble the transmitter by removing all of the screws clamping the two halves of the transmitter together. There are ten screws in all that must be removed. Remove the back cover and set it aside for now.

2. Module Disassebly Next you'll need to disassemble the Spektrum module to remove the antenna and drill a hole into the case for repositioning. Remove the four small screws on the back of the module, and carefully pull the halves apart. (1) To remove the black antenna from the case, pinch the two halves and push the antenna out of the case. (2) Finally, gently pull the circuit board out of the case, and remove the push-on antenna wire from the circuit board. You should now have the module separated with the circuit board and antenna separated.

3.Drill the HolesTo route the Spektrum antenna wire properly, you must ream two holes—one in the M8 case, and one in the Spektrum module case. (1) Ream a small hole into the bottom right side of the module back case. (2) Next, install the case half into the M8 case, and mark the spot for the hole to match. (3) Ream the hole into the M8 case, and cut away any flashing with a hobby knife.

4.Create the M8 Antenna Opening
You must ream out the antenna opening before you can fit the Spektrum antenna into the case. Use your reamer to slowly ream away as much material as needed until the Spektrum antenna slides into the slot.

5.Grind the M8 and Spektrum Cases
Use your grinding drum to grind material away inside the M8 case to allow clearance for the Spektrum antenna. The drum's circumference is the perfect size for the antenna. Remove the external antenna housing from the Spektrum case using a cutting wheel, and grind away any extra flashing with the sanding drum.

6.Thread the Antenna
After positioning the Spektrum antenna inside the case as shown, thread the antenna wire through the M8 case and reattach the M8 case half.

7.Reassemble the Spektrum
Thread the antenna through the hole in the module case, reattach the antenna to the circuit board, and reassemble the module with the four screws. The module will now be reassembled with the antenna wire attached through the M8 case, and you can gently push the module into the M8 to complete assembly.

8.Plug the Case
I used a fuel bottle plug to cover the Spektrum's antenna opening and complete the factory look. You can find rubber plugs at hardware stores and hobby shops in various sizes for your Spektrum.

CONCLUSION
Now that your radio is fully "Spektrumized," you'll never have to worry about breaking the Spektrum antenna again. Many racers like to lay their radios down on pit tables and in radio impound areas, and with this mod your M8 will lay down flat without damaging the Spektrum. And if the convenience factor wasn't enough, just wait until you see the looks you'll receive at the track!
Old 04-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

If you go to www.rc411.com and look at it under the learn how to section they include pics that are really helpful. Good Luck
Old 04-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Yes, it will work on the M11. Here is my antenna mod how to with pictures... http://www.ridgewaybodies.com/M8_Antenna_Mod/
Old 04-28-2006, 05:26 AM
Tech Master

Default M11

like this took me 5 min to do it

Last edited by dg8one; 07-10-2008 at 01:21 PM.