R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   XS3 Range problem (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/111409-xs3-range-problem.html)

BimmerDriver 04-24-2006 10:11 AM

XS3 Range problem

I took my new TM G4s out to 301 Raceway for the first time yesterday. I still needed to run a few tanks of fuel through the engine to complete break-in. When it came to the time to "gas" it a little, the car would not run, the engine stuttered all the way down the backstretch.

I asked a tuner to take it a few laps to see what might be wrong. He drove it about 50 feet and turned around, picked up the car and opened the throttle. He shut the engine down and said the receiver battery was dead; the throttle would jitter when held wide open. I had only run 4 or 5 tanks on what was a freshly charged battery (the day before), but when I put it on my charger it did take 15-20 minutes to peak. I had "cycled" the battery 5 times by charging and leaving the receiver on over night.

Now it was time for the first heat. The car still stuttered whenever it was more than 80 feet away from me and the steering was inconsistent. (Out of control is more like it.) With the size of 301, that is the first 2 lanes on the infield section directly in front of the driver's stand. The car broke itself when it glanced off a 2x4 that was placed upside down, breaking the left side front suspension off the car.

I repeaked the receiver pack before the next 2 races, and I changed out my rechargeable transmitter pack for a friend's dry cell pack for the main with no change in the range.

My installation;
The G4s requires the antenna wire to pass through a carbon fiber radio plate; I enlarged the hole and installed a rubber grommet at that hole. I have "thick" rubbery servo tape holding the receiver to the radio box with the dials facing downward. I ran the antenna wire through the tube and slid snug-fitting heat shrink over the tube to prevent the excess (5"-6") wire from flying in the wind (and possibly getting ripped off). I have a Dynamite micro fail safe wedged in a space just outside the radio box.

Someone at the track suggested changing the transmitter antenna for one from an air radio. I will check if either of my 2 air antennae are compatible... and longer. I am open to your suggestions before I send the radio back for a tune-up.

sook 04-24-2006 01:07 PM

I would try the same setup with the radio as before with the exception of the dynamite micro failsafe. If it works without it, then you have a simple solution. I had problems with one a couple of years ago.

duneland 04-25-2006 09:00 AM

Shouldn't need the air antenna. Working properly, that system should have plenty of range. Just do some simple testing. Eliminate the switch (if you are using one), test with and without engine running (to determine if the problem is vibration related), if it is vibration related, you may be able to find the source of your problem by tapping on various components..