R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   hyper .12 engine (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/111113-hyper-12-engine.html)

simonr23 04-22-2006 02:06 AM

hyper .12 engine

i have a gpx4 and it comes with this motor. just curious as to whether this is a competitive engine with regards to club racing and if its a durable, long lasting motor. thanks.

spdz 04-22-2006 04:50 AM

i have a gpx4pro too .. the engine isnt that magnificent... definately not a competition engine too ... mayb its me thats abit noob cos its my 1st rc car(suck at tuning the engine).. but it seemed to me that the engine sucks up hell alot of fuel... but other than that it seemed ok to me.. good for starters...

WeatherB 04-22-2006 06:04 AM

I got this engine last week and have gone through about 12 tanks of fuel already.

It's not a good engine in my opinion. The carb only has two needles, no low end. So tuning it to run nice and idle well is very difficult.

Powerwise, I doubt the engine produces the advertised number. It's decent for the price, but for a bit more you can get the STS .12 or HPI .12r XS, both of which are a lot better.

simonr23 04-22-2006 07:02 AM

mine has 3 needles, its the slide carby. is urs?

WeatherB 04-22-2006 08:06 AM

Yes, mine is the slide carb...

It has three needles, but the one on the side is the mid-range and not the low end. Technically, other engines have 4 if you could that.

I stuck on a STS carb with "4" needles and was able to tune the engine to run well, but even then, it lacks power.

nitrothugg 04-22-2006 09:59 AM

i have this engine as well. and it does not have a "low speed" needle.... it took me a while to get it tuned because the manual didnt make sense/worked if you turned the needles according to their specs. once i found the sweet spot though, the motor is really reliable. i used a duratrax cold plug with 30% nitro. its not my tz but i was lucky enough to get it going strong enough for my application.

on a side note, i even put the carb in a sirio that i had laying around that needed a carb. it got me through a club race with no problems

Taffyjnr5 04-24-2006 06:10 PM

Hyper 12

I have two GPX4s and I have run the Hyper 12 engine and they are OK for a starter engine but now I have upgraded to an OS (TZ) and the differance is very noticable but in saying that the Hyper engine is very competitive at club level.

Taffyjnr5 :nod:

simonr23 04-25-2006 12:30 AM

today at the track the car started destroying plugs after each run. it would drive fine, perhaps a little on the rich side and i would turn it off myself by stopping the flywheel, rather than letting it run out of fuel. but each time i went to restart it, the plug had blown a coil. it did this with the original OS A3, then an OS 8 and finally a nosram p4 or r4 i forget sorry. the filament looks fine and the guys at hobbyhabit couldnt see a reason for it either. does anyone know what it might be?

MAJOR 05-22-2006 07:14 AM

I have this kind of engine too... It is a competetive engine for me... Really fast kind of engine... It has almost the same speed as the OSTR engine.

shazdave67 03-30-2009 05:21 PM

re glow plug prob,

Originally Posted by simonr23 (Post 2314165)
today at the track the car started destroying plugs after each run. it would drive fine, perhaps a little on the rich side and i would turn it off myself by stopping the flywheel, rather than letting it run out of fuel. but each time i went to restart it, the plug had blown a coil. it did this with the original OS A3, then an OS 8 and finally a nosram p4 or r4 i forget sorry. the filament looks fine and the guys at hobbyhabit couldnt see a reason for it either. does anyone know what it might be?

i had this problem with my rossi engine, it turned out to be the main bearing that was slowly destroying itself and bits of metal get in the plug and,BANG, does your engine have any unusewell noises?