Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Supercharged? Does this work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 12:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Supercharged? Does this work?

I found this on HPI's gallery. I didn't think supercharging a nitro engine was possible. I guess this guy figured it out. Anyway what kind of benefit could this give. Woudn't the reliabilty of these engines go out he window or what. Just curious. It's probably a repost. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Supercharged? Does this work?-image009t.jpg  
Old 12-21-2002, 12:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Sorry small pic

Old 12-21-2002, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Default Fake TURBOcharger

djmtsu;

That is a fake TURBOcharger. There was a thread a couple of weeks ago all about it on Radio Control Zone
Go the R/C Cars section, then in either the On or Off-road Nitro pages.

Last edited by popsracer; 12-21-2002 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-21-2002, 01:15 PM
Tech Rookie

That's weak, I checked out the other forum, and then I actually looked at his setup. Wow, what crap. I know a thing or two about turbos, owning an RX-7, and I did not think it was possible, or even worth it. Besides, it takes so much computer intervention to keep my real twin-turbo rotary from blowing itself to pieces. I can't imagine what a turbo system left to its own devices would do in an RC.
Old 12-21-2002, 01:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

looks more like a fake supercharger than a fake turbocharger to me.. since there is no exaust tubine, just a compressor. i think the main reason boosting a nitro engine would not work is because it is a two stroke. i bet it could work on a small four stroke. you can run a fuel management unit to control air\fuel ratio as boost pressure rises and it does not need any computer help. its obviously not as good, but a turbo\supercharger can be run without any serious electronics. im sure mazda has a very precise and reliable system loaded with computer stuff though.i wonder who the hell attatched all that stuff to their car. maybe just a joke? oh, and whats the tube on the side of the car with the white box on the end of it supposed to be?
Old 12-21-2002, 02:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by djmtsu
Besides, it takes so much computer intervention to keep my real twin-turbo rotary from blowing itself to pieces. I can't imagine what a turbo system left to its own devices would do in an RC.
That's because it's a Wankel so it needs loads of electronics to make the rotary bit work as well.
Have you seen the engine in the new RX-8? It's still a rotary, but uses a trianglular combustion chamber and I think it now only has the one Turbo on it.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:35 PM
Tech Chat Moderator

That picture has been discused on the rctech's, hpi and other forums many many times. Yup it's fake. But hey, it would make a ncie center peice for christmas...wouldn't it?
Old 12-21-2002, 06:19 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Actually the new RX8 is naturally aspirated. Mazda claims its more reliable than the previous RX7's but only time will tell. Nothing special though, I'd take a turbocharged engine any day.
Old 12-21-2002, 06:23 PM
Tech Addict

The one massive reason why it will not work is due to the fact that both the exhuast port, and intake port are opened at the same time and it will not build compression but just blow the air and fuel straight out the exhaust pipe.

A guy who has a website who hosts that picture said it was fake.

Can people stop putting this thread up with the same car? This is the 3rd time i've seen this thread in this Forum.
Its really annoying.