Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your thoughts on "Slow is fast"

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You know that makes me think. I only tq'd and won one of my races last season. During that race my car was way out of tune (still breaking it in). I was on throttle so much to just keep speed and it seemed slow but I was just unstoppable. Everything was easy and when it needed power on the straight it would come on....but it still wasnt going into second. LOL.

With all that going on I was also running a one-way on a tight track that most use diffs and spools. So maybe that had something to do with being able to hold the power for so long. As well it was really non-exsistant.

I think the main thing is you dont want to lag in the corners. Youll see some people almost come to a complete stop , then turn like they were parking a car and finally give power a few moments later. Allthough they did pretty good youll see others come through basically coasting then using little power to keep the momentum , enough to keep it going and then slam on the gas as early as possible and you can easily tell there just getting through there so much quicker. You gotta set the car up to kinda drive like this as well.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've seen Team Mugen drive and like Rob said, they are ballistic. They were the primary catalyst for changing my driving style. Most of the guys at my local track have been running Nito for serveral years. How is a new guy going to compete with that? I had a chance to talk with Ishitani and he said they never get completely off the throttle (i.e. park it) - but like everyone has been saying, their throttle control is very smooth. My friend said that I'm still pretty jerky, which I'm going to work on before the next race. I think I'm pretty close to setting up the car to be on throttle all the time, but the backend needs to be loose, so the car can drift more and I can correct things on the fly. You can't do that when your car is planted to the track like glue!

First race was a write-off. Second and third race I placed 3rd in the D main. This past race I qualified 7th in the B Main (A-C). I was really happy to move up a main, but knew that that I wouldn't place. To drive fast, the car has to be setup correctly, you have to find the fast racing line, you have to be smooth on the throttle and keep mistakes to a minimum. A guy I was talking to said that in the B Mains, you can make 2 maybe 3 mistakes and still have a chance at placing in the top 3.

My goal for this year, is to consistently finish in the top 3 of the B Main. That won't be easy to do. I still have a lot to learn - but I am extremely motivated to accomplish my goal. After telling my buddy that I'm too slow to be running in the B Mains, he said, "What do you expect? You're still new." I gave him this look and he said, "Okay, you should be winning the A Mains."
Old 04-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I always like to think of it as trying to drive in the straightest line you can...i.e. the least amount of steering as possible. The 'out-in-out' method follows my train of thought...
Old 04-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Tech Regular

speed is nothing without control..
Old 04-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by integra evan
I always like to think of it as trying to drive in the straightest line you can...i.e. the least amount of steering as possible. The 'out-in-out' method follows my train of thought...
Sometimes you should go wider.... for better traction...
Old 04-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (94%+)
Wink

Most racers that consider thereselves a pro level type racer put in a lot of practice time to get to that point of fast in control racing.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Tech Initiate

I have to agree smoother is better. My goal is to negotiate every turn as efficiently as possible. I set my car to work the turns as best as possible. I don't worry about speed in the straights. Most guys at my track walk me down in the strainghts but I always catch them in the turns. I truely believe that 80% of the race is won in the turns. But I still brake slightly before the turn and excellerate out of the turns. This seems to be the fastest for me. also I never use drag brake.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default exit speed boys....

I race full sized cars, and you would be suprised at how many people have crazy ideas about what the fast way around the track is. the simplest way i can put it is, concentrate on exit speed. think about it, if you exit corner x with one mph more speed. you carry that aditional speed down the track till corner y. If you get on the throttle 12 inches before him. all things being equil, your going to carry more speed out of the corner and have more momentum down the straight..... if your holding the wheel for a long time and cant straighten the wheel, your not apexing late enough.... took me 5 grand to have someone break down what i already knew for my racing license lol ..
Old 04-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Tech Adept

1st congrats on being in the B main.I'm still learning gobs of stuff about this rc stuff.you have to find what style driving suits you the best,now the car setup stuff is only 1/2 the deal,the radio is the other 45% you gotta getit setup so it all works together.The big trick is you can't drive the same all the time cause tracks,wheather, tempature, and you always change.My goal when I race is to finnsh the race ,yes I get off track,so I'm going for clean driving stay off the pipes and others when ever possible 1 lap at a time.Race, drive,play vrc,as much as you can. keep it fun!
Old 04-05-2006, 12:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rx7ttlm
I race full sized cars, and you would be suprised at how many people have crazy ideas about what the fast way around the track is. the simplest way i can put it is, concentrate on exit speed. think about it, if you exit corner x with one mph more speed. you carry that aditional speed down the track till corner y. If you get on the throttle 12 inches before him. all things being equil, your going to carry more speed out of the corner and have more momentum down the straight..... if your holding the wheel for a long time and cant straighten the wheel, your not apexing late enough.... took me 5 grand to have someone break down what i already knew for my racing license lol ..
Interesting topic you have here .. Quit often i watched races and yes i saw most of top racers was more on throttle then the other racer. Doesn't matter what is the chasis maker. But the strange thing is their car was dial accordingly. They are more on power cornering except on 180° corner. Fast accelerating after the corner and drift the car into L corners. In general the car look more understeer but with on power/throttle the cornering availability is about the same. Just my thought . But still what ever it is the stay on the fast racing line with correct max speed will be always the interesting thing to achive.

Last edited by Amigo; 04-05-2006 at 08:06 PM.