Wiki Posts
Search

first nitro car

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Default Which car..........

Guys;

Seems like we see this question asked every few days and mostly never answered unbiased-ly.

For a NEW-comer to Nitro, the full race type of R/C Car that most of you are suggesting, can be a little difficult for the newbie to build and adjust without some kind of set-up tools. And is the Newbie going to even notice any difference in performance, I doubt it.

The HPI car is pretty straight forward building and setting-up. All that you really might need is a Camber Gauge. It will serve the new to R/C racer well into the move up to Sportsman Nitro.

I think the determining factors should be:

1) What is well supported by the local distributers (hobby shops).

2) To build or not to build (RTR)

3) Racing or Playing or Both. (why buy a MTX-3 for Bashing?)

Every Car has it's positives and negatives. I won't say what I race, but I own 3 HPI cars out of 8.

Last edited by popsracer; 12-18-2002 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Which car..........

Originally posted by popsracer
Guys;

Seems like we see this question asked every few days and mostly never answered unbiased-ly.

For a NEW-comer to Nitro, the full race type of R/C Car that most of you are suggesting, can be a little difficult for the newbie to build and adjust without some kind of set-up tools. And is the Newbie going to even notice any differencein performance, I doubt it.

The HPI car is pretty straight forward building and setting-up. All that you really might need is a Camber Gauge. It will serve the new to R/C racer well into the move up to Sportsman Nitro.

I think the determining factors should be:

1) What is well supported by the local distributers (hobby shops).

2) To build or not to build (RTR)

3) Racing or Playing or Both. (why buy a MTX-3 for Bashing?)

Every Car has it's positives and negatives. I won't say what I race, but I own 3 HPI cars out of 8.
Totally agree with popsracer. May I say "NTC3 RTR"?
Old 12-18-2002, 11:22 AM
Tech Chat Moderator

Originally posted by Twist 2 Go
I would not recommend the hpi cars. A few friends have them and they seem to break alot of stuff. My ntc3 on the other hand has broken NOTHING! We all bought our cars at the same time. My car is also much faster.
I must disagree here. My bud and i both have hpi nrs4's and they are very durable. We rolled em, crashed em, and i put lots of stress on my car's drivetrain and it hardly ever breaks. Come to think of it the only time i really break things is when i run into solids things like parked cars and cement parking blocks. Most of the time it bounced off. But seeing how i am a great driver now, i dont need to buy parts because my car doesnt break easy. The nrs4's are parking lot racing and bashing cars. They arent meant to be raced at a nice asphalt track like snakes, v one r's and what not but u can and do awsome. Also check at your lhs to see what parts they carry for what car.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Default NRS4-3 prices

Racer123;

I don't know where you got $239 usd for a HPI RTR-3? The standard price is usually around $300 +/- $20. The Nitro-3 SS is about the same price. but you will need to buy a Radio too. The SS will ultimately be much faster due to the more powerful engine and the included 2spd. (better tires too).
Old 12-18-2002, 03:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

At ultimatehobbies.com the hpi nitro rs4 3 rtr is 239.99 thats RTR, with everything.