Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 720

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Tech Adept

Default Great Car

I ran my serpent today but my friend hit the pole and split the bump plate also someone crash in to me and damage the pipe ( crush ).but after that good fun great car...
Ps
I got whole lot of oohs and ahhhs they never seen a serpent 720

Last edited by madbeats; 07-23-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by serpentpro28
guys how much is your 720?
Error

Last edited by 710baby; 07-24-2006 at 12:34 PM. Reason: error
Old 07-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Just a little update for those of you interested. I drove my 720 today for the first time and all I can say is WOW. I drive in the USA and was at ft myers today. The traction was bad, as it rained before we could run. After the rain, we just ran, no more prep on the track. I started with the stock setting, everything default, except for shock oil, I used 45 wt, I also used some al. screws and a titanium 2 speed shaft. With the diff the cars weight 1702 grams, very lite. I personally did not like the diff, so put the one way(much better). I have never had a car that worked so easily. With the low traction, I needed more rotation. I did one adjustment at a time to learn the car. I put the rear arms in the top position and the car was better. Then I put blue springs and that was a perfect match. The car felt very good for the conditions. The driving line as very small, but I was able to be very consistent. I must say that for the first time I understand what is rotation. with the 710, I never really had rotation in the car. I could get it to enter good and exit good, but the middle was not that good. Now I can hold the speed more in the turns. I must say again WOW and hope you guys have a good experience. I also ran a Maxy modified mega zx12, with Maxy fuel of course, an it was awesome, I will be taking that to the GLC. Till next time. Sorry it was so long, but I really enjoyed my first day with the 720.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I also enjoyed driving this car. It's much better than 710. However, the bad expereince i have with this car is, after taking out the shocks and trying some other settings on how it behaved on different viscousity of silicon, i had 2 black plastic parts which stripped and could not be tightened into the shock metal bodies, the silicon leaks. Can someone teach me how to fix it!
Old 07-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by choisan
I also enjoyed driving this car. It's much better than 710. However, the bad expereince i have with this car is, after taking out the shocks and trying some other settings on how it behaved on different viscousity of silicon, i had 2 black plastic parts which stripped and could not be tightened into the shock metal bodies, the silicon leaks. Can someone teach me how to fix it!
I have the same problem. I contacted serpent,they also stated to have come across the same problem, they refer me to my local distributor.
Still no word I will get on they case later on today..
Old 07-24-2006, 12:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by madbeats
I have the same problem. I contacted serpent,they also stated to have come across the same problem, they refer me to my local distributor.
Still no word I will get on they case later on today..
Thanks! Let me contact the local distributor. Even some of my friend's, they could not put up in the very first time. Those shocks were stripped. Some happened on the new 960's shocks too.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:08 AM
Tech Adept

Default Info Pls

Hi Guys

I have finsihed building my 720 and wow, the car is very different to the 710. Didn't have a chance to run yet, this weekend, hopefully.

Question, on the back shaft (gearbox) there seems to be allot of play. allot more than the 710. Is this correct?

Also, has anyone tried connecting up a connical manifold? I did mine but it toutches the graphite stabiliser part on the side? Did anyone have similar problems?

Thanks

Acid
Old 07-24-2006, 01:36 AM
Tech Adept

The shaft is fixed on the right side by the 2-speed and on the left side with the pulley. You use the pulley to set the required amount of play...

There's very little play on any of the parts of my 720.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:46 AM
Tech Adept

Default Info

Qlone

Let me explain more....

The shaft has a certain portion squared off (side where the pulley sits). I have connected the pulley as far down as it can go, any further down, and the squared off portion becomes round again. Any furtherand the set screw won't make any contact and won't lock the pulley and shaft together.

At this point, I still have allot of play, more than the 710. Is that correct? Is there more play here, when comparing the 720 against the 710?

Thanks

Acid
Old 07-24-2006, 02:23 AM
Tech Adept

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Acid
Qlone

Let me explain more....

The shaft has a certain portion squared off (side where the pulley sits). I have connected the pulley as far down as it can go, any further down, and the squared off portion becomes round again. Any furtherand the set screw won't make any contact and won't lock the pulley and shaft together.

At this point, I still have allot of play, more than the 710. Is that correct? Is there more play here, when comparing the 720 against the 710?
No, that's not right. The pulley should fit quite nicely on the squared off part. Did you forget a component at the gearbox side? On the shaft, before you slide on the gear for the second gear, a small shim/ring must be placed on the shaft. It's easy to forget and also leads to excessive play, both on the shaft and the gearbox...

Here is the step I'm talking about:
Old 07-24-2006, 02:36 AM
Tech Adept

Default Info

Quote:

No, that's not right. The pulley should fit quite nicely on the squared off part. Did you forget a component at the gearbox side? On the shaft, before you slide on the gear for the second gear, a small shim/ring must be placed on the shaft. It's easy to forget and also leads to excessive play, both on the shaft and the gearbox...

Qlone, yes, I have used the spacer on the gearbox side... but still, there is more play than the 710. When I move the shaft with my hands, it moves more than 3mm - will check actual play when I get home tonight. But, the amount of play is allot when compared to my 710.
Both kits, my brother's and mine have play here, allot....

Just to confirm, there is no spacer required on the side where the pulley sits? I don't have one...

Acid
Old 07-24-2006, 02:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Cange the side of the pulley!
I am shure it will fit. There is enough room to adjust!

best regards
Daniel

Take a picture of you car and post it.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:54 AM
Tech Adept

There's nothing on the pulley side, correct. Also, the last thing that can be wrong is what the poster above me said... do you have the pulley on backward? The plastic part of the pulley should be on the car's side and the metal part on the outside.

If you do this the wrong way, you have play, will lose the side belt and probably have problems when mounting the exhaust...
Old 07-24-2006, 03:13 AM
Tech Adept

Default Info

Hi Guys

I have pics of the car but its too large to post on site. Will take more tonight.

I did check the pulley and it is the right way around - metal on outside and plastic on inside...

How much of play do you guys have on this pulley?

Acid
Old 07-24-2006, 03:27 AM
Tech Adept

Check this picture of my car:

As you can see, the main shaft is slightly long, but everything fits and I've set it to have only a tenth of a millimeter of play...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.