Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 720

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by typer
What is the problem with the ring that came with the set? I got mine recently and it fits ok.
the first batch had too smaller spacer ring supplied, it lets the gear float on the shaft
Old 09-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1FastSerpent
When I Talked to Gianni , he was running the 0's & I believe he said they are the same as the Stock knuckles & the +1's added steering. Or it was Vise Versa. But yea, one of them adds to the steering.

no quite so both differ from the stock blocks

These new blocks have 1mm more offset compared to the standard versions, which gives the car a more smooth steering style. The 0-degree blocks work well on medium traction surfaces while the 1-degree blocks work better on low to medium level traction surfaces. However if you swap the left and right 1-degree blocks, the car will then work better in high grip tracks, actually reducing the effects of grip roll, while at the same time giving the car smoother, more consistent, cornering.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Correct Cartman.

The 0 and 1 degree refer to the kingpin angle. This means if you were to draw a line throught the pillow balls in the steering knuckles you'd see the line lean slightly inward in the 1 degree blocks and be straight up in the 0 degree blocks.

More kingpin angle gives an effect similar to running more caster. It makes the wheel lean when it is steered.

The 0 degree blocks give slightly smoother cornering. The effect is most noticable in sharper corners, where the 1 degree blocks will make the car hook a bit more mid corner. I like that response but in high grip it may make the car more prone to traction roll.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:45 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by typer
Have you tested the 3rd one way? I havent tested mine yet.. busy lately
on the later end of the runs as you wear the tires, its faster off throttle at corner entry...
Old 09-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Steering block advice

I recently swapped the 0 deg steering blocks on my car and I've noticed that the bottom of the block strikes the lower arm when turned to about 25 - 30 deg. on a 199 mm front track width. Is this what its designed to do to promote understeer ? Can this be remedied by flipping the blocks ( right to left ) and if flipped, what can be the potential result on how the car would steer ?
Old 09-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Shave your arms just a bit to make clearance for the knuckles
Old 09-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Garaski
I recently swapped the 0 deg steering blocks on my car and I've noticed that the bottom of the block strikes the lower arm when turned to about 25 - 30 deg. on a 199 mm front track width. Is this what its designed to do to promote understeer ? Can this be remedied by flipping the blocks ( right to left ) and if flipped, what can be the potential result on how the car would steer ?
Interesting. I have had no binding isuues. What rims are you using. I could see problems if you use rims that have more offset and you'd need to screw the balls in further to achieve the correct width.

Swapping the 0 degree blocks left and right will do nothing as the kingpin angle is 0. Swapping the 1 degre blocks left and right will change the handling of the car. The exact results vary a bit from track to track though.

Easiest solution for your binding problem is cutting a little of the arm.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Testing

Originally Posted by Julius
Interesting. I have had no binding isuues. What rims are you using. I could see problems if you use rims that have more offset and you'd need to screw the balls in further to achieve the correct width.

Swapping the 0 degree blocks left and right will do nothing as the kingpin angle is 0. Swapping the 1 degre blocks left and right will change the handling of the car. The exact results vary a bit from track to track though.

I tested the blocks today, I first tested the 0 degree then the 1 degree. I noticed that the 1 degree has more under steer. I never actually tested with the blocks swapped. Anyone tried this yet if so what effect does it have.

The next question I have is the overall balance of the car. Unlike Kyoshos, Mugens etc. with my serpent I have to run yellows in the rear and blues sometimes purple in front to cure the oversteer tendencies the car has, am I doing something wrong?
Old 09-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trickd122
I tested the blocks today, I first tested the 0 degree then the 1 degree. I noticed that the 1 degree has more under steer. I never actually tested with the blocks swapped. Anyone tried this yet if so what effect does it have.

The next question I have is the overall balance of the car. Unlike Kyoshos, Mugens etc. with my serpent I have to run yellows in the rear and blues sometimes purple in front to cure the oversteer tendencies the car has, am I doing something wrong?
It could be the balance, but we all run the softer rear in this area. It is a driving style thing. Danny runs his car even with the springs, most of the time reds all around.. I think it is a combo of different set-up. Tino, try less travel in the rear and a harder spring in the rear, if you are looking to go with harder rear springs. Question is are you happy with the yellow rears and your cars set-up. There is not a wrong way, but if the way you have it works for you or not.

Get with me any time if you want. I will be at the next race on Sun at the Port.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Julius

Sir I want to test the 1 deg blocks but left and right swapped. Where is the position of the track rod? Is it at the top or at the bottom?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tino , Did you try the Setup I gave You? If So , How did it work for you?
Old 09-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Tech Addict

Default Yow

Originally Posted by 1FastSerpent
Tino , Did you try the Setup I gave You? If So , How did it work for you?
Mark,
I did, it was good however I did not have alot of traction (The track hadn't been ran in a while). I do think it has great potential as a setup for a front diff.

DJ. Thanks again for the support and I'll try to make it this weekend, but we'll see. The problem I encountered while drivng with Robert is the corner speed in that the Kyosho seeminly sustained more cornering speeds than the 720. I then switched to the 1 degree blocks same a litte better but still had a mid corner push. I'll be honest though I didn't try the blocks inverted.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Mark,
I did, it was good however I did not have alot of traction (The track hadn't been ran in a while). I do think it has great potential as a setup for a front diff.

DJ. Thanks again for the support and I'll try to make it this weekend, but we'll see. The problem I encountered while drivng with Robert is the corner speed in that the Kyosho seeminly sustained more cornering speeds than the 720. I then switched to the 1 degree blocks same a litte better but still had a mid corner push. I'll be honest though I didn't try the blocks inverted.

The different steering blocks are more for fine tuning. They are not going to be the one thing that give you the mid corner speed you are looking for. You need to raise the rear roll center, add some caster and maybe less camber gain will help. Guestion, are you talking about low speed corners or high speed corners, sweeper type turns.

DJ Apolaro
Old 09-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dj apolaro
The different steering blocks are more for fine tuning. They are not going to be the one thing that give you the mid corner speed you are looking for. You need to raise the rear roll center, add some caster and maybe less camber gain will help. Guestion, are you talking about low speed corners or high speed corners, sweeper type turns.

DJ Apolaro

Sweeping turns........ I was at Go racing though most of the corners are slow so not realy sure.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Sweeping turns........ I was at Go racing though most of the corners are slow so not realy sure.

Could try 10,000 harder diff oil. More caster and do not flip the blocks that will not help. Also could stiffen the rear sway bar.

1. stiffer rear sway bar
2. less front travel on droop (ex. go from 0 to +1)
3. heavier diff oil
4. red rear springs up one from the bottom.
5. raise rear roll center
6. more caster

You can try more but this is a start. Based on your set up try it in this order. If you have time do one thing at a time.

Regards and good luck.

DJ Apolaro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.