R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   New Racer (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/107836-new-racer.html)

rcracer0 03-28-2006 07:16 PM

New Racer

I am trying to decide which to buy. 1/10th scale or 1/8th scale. I have heard pros/cons about both. I am thinking of purchasing an HPI R40 Hara or a Mugen MRX-4R.

I know the obvious difference such as price. But what would be best for a newbie? I race offroad 1/8th scale now...and I am not a great driver, but I do ok. I have raced offroad electric as well. I have raced, although very little, 1/12th scale on carpet as well.

I would like to get some opinions on what to start with. I don't want to purchase one, wishing I had the other. Buying both is NOT an option.

Any help would be appreciated.

rcracer0 03-28-2006 07:41 PM

One thing I forgot to mention. When I am asking about which is better, questions to answer would be:

1) Less expensive to maintain
2) Easier to drive
3) Easier to work on
4) Less of a learning curve

Thanks again for any help.

theRED5 03-28-2006 08:00 PM

Get a tenth, it costs a little less,and will give you the experience to drive an bigger car, like the 8th scales.

A TC won't get away from you like an 8th scaler will, under power :nod: :D .

Ivan Dickson 03-28-2006 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by rcracer0
One thing I forgot to mention. When I am asking about which is better, questions to answer would be:

1) Less expensive to maintain
2) Easier to drive
3) Easier to work on
4) Less of a learning curve

Thanks again for any help.

Get a 1/10 scale car :nod: easier car to start with, :eek: why do want HPI ? :rolleyes: there are some better kits out their like Kyosho RRR, mugen MTX4,TEAM MAGIC G4S :p What cars do they run at your local track. :tire: :tire: :sneaky: :smile:

rcracer0 03-29-2006 08:54 AM

Most of the people are running the HPI car at the track. That way I can get help from them if needed. I want the Mugen, but I don't think there will be many running it.

Ivan Dickson 03-29-2006 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by rcracer0
Most of the people are running the HPI car at the track. That way I can get help from them if needed. I want the Mugen, but I don't think there will be many running it.

Were do you race? :confused: City and State just curious. :nod: :nod:

rcracer0 03-29-2006 09:48 AM

It is a new track opening up this year in the St. Charles area...Mo.

Devastator 03-31-2006 02:47 PM

Do what theRED and Ivan are telling you. If you start out with the 8th scale, it requires a racing background because its a "racing car." That's why its called "the F1 of rc."

A 10th scale car can be upgraded to match your growing abilities. If you start out with a car that has an "R" in it's title, be aware it was designed for proven racers. So use patience when you get a car meant to be driven with no brakes. And be aware that the front one-way does not work like a gear differential.

v-one-rrr :nod:
r40
mtx4...etc.,
Pick one that you like and go with it.
Just don't fall into the "I need hop-ups to go faster" trick.
Start off light and work your way up.

GrandeGixxer 03-31-2006 03:06 PM

I would recommend staying away from the HPI. The car is outdated and there are cars out there that are much better. Even if other people aren't running the Mugen or Kyosho, chassis adjustments work similar on every car. :nod:

rcracer0 03-31-2006 03:27 PM

Ok thanks.. What about getting the Associated Nitro TC3? I can get one for $200.00 brand new in box....

Do that or get a Mugen?

rcracer0 03-31-2006 03:28 PM

Oh, 1 more thing, how can the HPI car be outdated when it just came out? the Hara Edition is brand new isn't it?

GrandeGixxer 03-31-2006 03:31 PM

Its not that new. The NTC3 is a good car in the right hands. It is however, not half as durable as the mugen. You may want to consider getting an MTX-3 off of ebay or something. I saw one on there today with motors, radio, tires and the whole 9 yards for like $300. I just stay away form HPI regardless, I am kind of biased.

drfritz 03-31-2006 04:08 PM

One thing to think of is part support, what does the local shops have on the walls and what can they get you, some people say the r40 is junk but if that what the store has parts for then thats what you need to run. mtx3-4 the rrr g4 ect are better cars in many peoples eys but if you end up breaking something one one of these cars and nobdy has parts your screwed the days racing all to #####, beside racing is racing, if every body is running hpi cars at your track,more power to them, at least your racing.

Chris West 03-31-2006 04:14 PM

the Mugen MTX-3 is the most durable car in my experience id go for one of those if you were to get a second hand race car, the NTC3's are one of the weakest, one was in the final at the nats and something in the drivetrain broke causing him to retire from the race :cry: :lol: and they are quite due for a new car

mt12ob4 03-31-2006 06:56 PM

Hey you said you can get a TC3 in the box for 200.00$ Whats the retail on one of those anyways???
If you can help me out-200 i think i might pick on up-let me know!