Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Curious If I Made A Wise Decision. >

Curious If I Made A Wise Decision.

Curious If I Made A Wise Decision.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Curious If I Made A Wise Decision.

Hey Guys, I just recently bought a "Smartech" Celica off of ebay. I've played around with it and it really ain't bad for what I paid, but still wondering if it was a good investment ? and if not how i could make it better, and even if it was how i could make it better lol. I paid $120US.

I already have plans for it but i was seeing what others think before I go ahead with anything.

Thanks in advanced
Old 03-30-2006, 10:56 PM
Tech Regular

id use that as a test/play car just to get used to driving a rc car, i wouldn't spend any money on it though as you wont get anywhere if you do. if you like playing around with it and want to get into racing i suggest you get a second hand "race-car" like a MTX-3 ,RRR or 710 IF you want to get into racing.

Chris
Old 03-30-2006, 11:03 PM
Tech Rookie

I was thinking of putting a new body on it for start, and i found this one.

I was also thinking of putting a new exhaust on as well. Not so much for performance but to have that nice appeal lol. I really don't want to spend the money that it costs for that, so I was wondering if it were a good idea to make my own or if that would screw it up.

I'll admit for what i paid for that car it hauls. I'd say off the top of my head it probably does about 50mph or so. I haven't been able to open it right up yet due to not finding a really smooth long stretch to do it. i have gotten it going pretty damn good though.

I was also thinking of throwing a K&N Filter on, due to the crappy foam one i have, I don't even run my car with it at the time due to it being all nasty lol.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris West
id use that as a test/play car just to get used to driving a rc car, i wouldn't spend any money on it though as you wont get anywhere if you do. if you like playing around with it and want to get into racing i suggest you get a second hand "race-car" like a MTX-3 ,RRR or 710 IF you want to get into racing.

Chris
agree....
Old 03-31-2006, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Inebriation Inc
I was thinking of putting a new body on it for start, and i found this one.

I was also thinking of putting a new exhaust on as well. Not so much for performance but to have that nice appeal lol. I really don't want to spend the money that it costs for that, so I was wondering if it were a good idea to make my own or if that would screw it up.

I'll admit for what i paid for that car it hauls. I'd say off the top of my head it probably does about 50mph or so. I haven't been able to open it right up yet due to not finding a really smooth long stretch to do it. i have gotten it going pretty damn good though.

I was also thinking of throwing a K&N Filter on, due to the crappy foam one i have, I don't even run my car with it at the time due to it being all nasty lol.
The worst thing you can do is not run the air filter with your engine. This means debris and dust will get inside and scratch the piston, sleeve and other internals. Problem with buying these types of car off eBay is that you cannot find parts or its very hard to. Its basicly like going to radio shack and buying an electric rc which you know if it breaks it goes to the trash. Anyways, have fun with the car and try to squeeze those 120 bucks as much as you can.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Riketsu
The worst thing you can do is not run the air filter with your engine. This means debris and dust will get inside and scratch the piston, sleeve and other internals. Problem with buying these types of car off eBay is that you cannot find parts or its very hard to. Its basicly like going to radio shack and buying an electric rc which you know if it breaks it goes to the trash. Anyways, have fun with the car and try to squeeze those 120 bucks as much as you can.
yes, indeed.... at first runnin w/o an air filter seems fine but later your engine will get trashed... dont spend too much on that,,, just play with it... once your ready, you can get a real car such as the RRR, mtx3, mtx3, serpent 710, TM g4s, hobao gpx4, etc...
Old 03-31-2006, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Kiss that engine goodbye. Litteraly one time for 5 minutes and that motor is probably out the door.

If you want to see it run longer than 2 more runs. You should never run it again. Until you take the motor completely apart and clean it completely. Youll probably find a good amount of sand or dirt embedded in certain areas and waiting in line to jump into a moving part or area.

After that , go easy on the thing , always run an air filter. This isnt a car where you can run no filter for a little....they have the chassis thats very sealed to protect an air fitler.

An rc car has a floor with holes in it, no wheel wells (big big big helper). So dirt is pretty much flying all over the car with one quick circle in your driveway you can find it completely covered.

Also K&N filters suck for RC and really real car world as well. Have you seen the tests lately they dont filter well at all...they just flow it well.

A foam filter will perform the same and will keep dirt out. Think about a k&n , all it is is a wire mesh and paper slotted. Thats about .2 filter where a foam is like 1inch think. The sand/dirt has a lot more to go through.

Also dont waste any money on that car...it wont help thing and your tossing it on something that could be used towards your new car. Trust me , theres even newer cars that Ive done the same with.

Use money only on a car you race with to win. Otherwise just fix or upgrade as parts break on your old cars. Simple ideal , but very effective budget wise if you ask me. Im sure some people will chime in on upgrading old/non competitive cars. Only upgrade when you break something....and normally thats the best time to do it due to the stock part being weak in some way. But you also gotta ask yourself was it a weak part or you hitting the curb in a slide at 50mph. Otherwise if your driving is bad , you should stick with cheap cause its all going to break , stronger or not.